Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

A Priori beliefs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Priori beliefs.

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
    On the other hand, attention to context may become a tendency to read a specific theology into the text; a theology first reading that is equally troublesome. It seems reasonable to consider whether Christian theology prevents a person from properly understanding the Bible?
    I am of the persuasion that everyone has a priori beliefs which affects our understanding of others and other teachings. Not just understand the Bible. The difficulty in discussions, I believe, is do to the hidden a priori beliefs. Not understand one's own nor the other person's a priori beliefs.
    Last edited by 37818; 05-24-2015, 11:50 AM.
    . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

I agree. Much pointless discussion takes place here as people talk past each other not noticing their fundamental assumptions are mismatched.

I would add we quickly form assumptions about people too and thereafter see anything they say through the prism of those assumptions. I've seen people branded as 'troublemakers' be dismissed no matter how reasonably they might post. It would be interesting to have a forum where everyone was anonymous.
    Last edited by pancreasman; 05-24-2015, 12:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pancreasman View Post
      I agree. Much pointless discussion takes place here as people talk past each other not noticing their fundamental assumptions are mismatched.
      There was that rather amusing discussion about time. Well, really many if not most of the philosophical discussions end up this way.

I would add we quickly form assumptions about people too and thereafter see anything they say through the prism of those assumptions. I've seen people branded as 'troublemakers' be dismissed no matter how reasonably they might post. It would be interesting to have a forum where everyone was anonymous.
      We could call it 'T-chan'.

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
        I am of the persuasion that everyone has a priori beliefs which affects our understanding of others and other teachings. Not just understand the Bible. The difficulty in discussions, I believe, is do to the hidden a priori beliefs. Not understand one's own nor the other person's a priori beliefs.
        This is very true including you to and I. I do make an effort to reduce the burden of priori beliefs as much as possible. The Buddhist principles that 'Nothing is necessary' and 'impermanence' have influenced my philosophy and world view since my teenage years.
        Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
        Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
          This is very true including you to and I. I do make an effort to reduce the burden of priori beliefs as much as possible. The Buddhist principles that 'Nothing is necessary' and 'impermanence' have influenced my philosophy and world view since my teenage years.
          P!ease explain your understanding of the "nothing is necessary" concept.
          . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

P!ease explain your understanding of the "nothing is necessary" concept.
            Most of the priori beliefs are considered necessary in one way or another. 'Nothing is necessary' is the principle that no priori beliefs are necessary from the fallible human perspective. Human logic and reasoning is always potentially flawed.
            But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Most of the priori beliefs are considered necessary in one way or another.
              They are unavoidable. So your following comment, to me, is not sensible:
              'Nothing is necessary' is the principle that no priori beliefs are necessary from the fallible human perspective. Human logic and reasoning is always potentially flawed.

Comment

'Nothing is necessary' is the principle that no priori beliefs are necessary
                Including the a priori belief that 'Nothing is necessary'?

Comment

They are unavoidable. So your following comment, to me, is not sensible:
                  It sounds like you giving up your potential of 'Free Will,' something like the story of the elephant held by a thread.

I did not say I did not have priori beliefs, I said, 'I reduce the burden as much as possible.'

It starts with the recognition of the fallibility of your own priori beliefs.

Therefore, . . .

Frank

Comment

It would be nice if everyone started with a minimal set of a-priori beliefs, I guess. But they could be wrong. One would need experience to teach him, good and hard, Shuny, nicht wahr?

Try to learn as much as you can possibly from your most embarrassing mistakes, your most colossal failures.
                    The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Human logic and reasoning is always potentially flawed.
                      Except that once you know it, you can go on to use your human logic and reasoning more precisely to work out the flaws in your logic and reasoning. In other words, we have strategies for dealing with this problem.
                      “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                      “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                      “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                        Except that once you know it, you can go on to use your human logic and reasoning more precisely to work out the flaws in your logic and reasoning. In other words, we have strategies for dealing with this problem.
                        Agreed, I was primarily referring to the context of priori beliefs.

Frank

Comment

I hold the following a priori beliefs: -
                          • That the laws of logic are true.
                          • That I exist (Cogito, ergo sum)
                          • That there are minds other than my own.
                          • That the external world is real.
                          My Amazon Author page: https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B0719RS8BK

Comment

Originally posted by Rational Gaze View Post
                            I hold the following a priori beliefs: -
                            • That the laws of logic are true.
                            • That I exist (Cogito, ergo sum)
                            • That there are minds other than my own.
                            • That the external world is real.
                            I'd agree with all of those.

Comment

Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
                              It would be nice if everyone started with a minimal set of a-priori beliefs, I guess. But they could be wrong.
                              I assume they very well could be wrong.

One would need experience to teach him,
                              Teach who?

Try to learn as much as you can possibly from your most embarrassing mistakes, your most colossal failures.
                              If your priori assumption remain the same, no change.

Frank

Comment