Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

A Priori beliefs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rational Gaze View Post
    I hold the following a priori beliefs: -
    That the laws of logic are true.
    Minefield how the laws are used by fallible humans.

That I exist (Cogito, ergo sum)
    No big deal.

That there are minds other than my own.
    ~7.4 billion minds and growing.

That the external world is real.
    ok
    Last edited by shunyadragon; 05-24-2015, 09:34 PM.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

I hold the following a priori beliefs: -
      • That the laws of logic are true.
      • That I exist (Cogito, ergo sum)
      • That there are minds other than my own.
      • That the external world is real.
      The Bible is the Word of God.

Hence:The universe is intelligible and real, we can generally trust our God given senses
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
        The Bible is the Word of God.
        This is an a posteriori belief, not an a priori belief. (I would also point out that Jesus is the Word, and The Bible is Scripture, but that would be a little pedantic.)

Originally posted by seer View Post
        The universe is intelligible and real, we can generally trust our God given senses
        These are a priori beliefs, not a posteriori beliefs.
        My Amazon Author page: https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B0719RS8BK

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
          It sounds like you giving up your potential of 'Free Will,' something like the story of the elephant held by a thread.
          Truth is not a matter of free will, since what is true is true whether oor not one chooses to believe in any truth.

I did not say I did not have priori beliefs, I said, 'I reduce the burden as much as possible.'
          Your a priori belief "nothing is necessary."

It starts with the recognition of the fallibility of your own priori beliefs.
          If there exists more than one competing a priori belief tben an a priori belief can be wrong. If there be any truth which needs to be an a priori belief, not believed, then the one not believing such a truth is automatically wrong.
          Therefore, . . .
          So you do not know somethings. As we are all ignorant of somethings. As that statement being made, it stands as an a priori belief.
          Last edited by 37818; 05-25-2015, 11:31 AM.
          . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

This is an a posteriori belief, not an a priori belief. (I would also point out that Jesus is the Word, and The Bible is Scripture, but that would be a little pedantic.)
            Actually no, the classic presuppositional argument starts with God or Scripture. Nothing is prior to that. Nothing could be...

These are a priori beliefs, not a posteriori beliefs.
            Again, if you start with God of scripture these naturally follow.
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

I firmly believe that I exist.

I'm flexible on everything else.
              Middle-of-the-road swing voter. Feel free to sway my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
                Truth is not a matter of free will, since what is true is true whether oor not one chooses to believe in any truth.
                First, this is like; 'The sky is Carolina blue on the forth of July at noon on a clear day.' It is meaningless unless you can objectively define 'what is true is true.'

Can fallible humans know what is absolutely true? o you have a priori belief the fallible humans can know what is absolutely true?

Second, it does not really relate to your first statement and my response.

Originally posted by shunyadragon
                "Most of the priori beliefs are considered necessary in one way or another,"
                They are unavoidable.
                Your response that followed this did not make sense???

Your a priori belief "nothing is necessary."
                Yes.

If there exists more than one competing a priori belief tben an a priori belief can be wrong.
                ok, so what?

If there be any truth which needs to be an a priori belief, not believed, then the one not believing such a truth is automatically wrong.
                The problem is, 'How do you determine the nature of the 'truth, like 'Which priori belief is true and which is false from the fallible human perspective?
                So you do not know somethings. As we are all ignorant of somethings. As that statement being made, it stands as an a priori belief.
                No sure of your point here.
                Last edited by shunyadragon; 05-25-2015, 08:15 PM.
                But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

My priori assumptions:

(1) I believe I exist.

(2) Our physical existence has uniform predictable Laws of Nature.

(3) Nothing is necessary from the human perspective

(4) everything is impermanent from the human perspective.

(5) Humans are fallible and cannot know absolute truth reliably.
                  Last edited by shunyadragon; 05-27-2015, 07:15 AM.

Frank

Comment