Announcement

Collapse

Home Economics 101

Welcome to the Home Ec Section. Matters of the family sometimes bring joy and other times bring grief. But it is never trivial: Family matters! Feel free to discuss topics such as the sanctity of marriage; the awesome responsibility of raising children; the struggles of communication problems; the grief of losing a loved one; or anything else that relates to the home and family. However, due to the more personal nature of this section, I ask that you would be especially thoughtful of the readers' feelings. My earnest hope and prayer is that the discussions in this section will help families grow in the love of Christ.

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

Slow cooking!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow cooking!

I love slow cooked meals. What are some good ones I and other T-webbers could try?
    "Concentrate on what you have to do. Fix your eyes on it. Remind yourself that your task is to be a good human being; remind yourself what nature demands of people. Then do it, without hesitation, and speak the truth as you see it. But with kindness. With humility. Without hypocrisy."
    -Marcus Aurelius

Pretty much anything thrown into a crock pot and allowed sufficient time.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by T-Shirt Ninja View Post
      I love slow cooked meals. What are some good ones I and other T-webbers could try?
      There are many, many wonderful ideas and recipes out there. You can't fail with any of them. But that said, the correct answer is pot roast.
      Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

Ham. Take a small shank (precooked is best but not essential) and place it in crock. Pour in one can regular Coke. Cover, set to low and come back in a four hours or more.
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

I like to saute my onions to translucent, then dump them in the crock pot with, maybe, some beef broth. Brown a piece of roast (WOW, has that gotten expensive, so maybe a small piece) in the same frying pan as you saute'd the onion, then chop up (not too finely) carrots, celery, potato and let the thing cook all day.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

My chicken sausage gumbo - make a base using sauted onion - lots of them - in butter and EVOO, then put that in the crock pot with some beef stock and a package of Cajun seasoning. Grill some chicken breasts and some sausage, cut them up in bite-sized pieces, and dump those in the crock pot. Quarter some small new potatoes or red skin potatoes, and let that slow cook all day.

Comment

Beef broth for chicken? Interesting. What's EVOO?
              Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                Beef broth for chicken? Interesting.
                Actually, you can use chicken broth instead, but the sausage is in there, and the chicken is grilled, and the Cajun seasoning kinda thickens things up.

What's EVOO?
                Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Comment

No roux?
                  Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                    No roux?
                    Wasn't sure if I'd have to explain that, but, yeah.

I mean, no - yes roux.

Comment

And cornbread. I keep forgetting that not everybody knows you're supposed to have cornbread with stuff.

(which is also why I hadn't mentioned bacon)

Comment

I have never tried making cornbread in a slow cooker.
                        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                          I have never tried making cornbread in a slow cooker.
                          Me, too, neither.

Comment

Originally posted by T-Shirt Ninja View Post
                            Roast, with potato's and carrots is pretty easy to make.
                            "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

I have probably the first generation CrockPot. I checked the temp with an oven thermometer and an electronic temp probe (the kind you stick into food). My LOW was about 175, and my HIGH was 289 and very slowly edging up according to the probe. Looks like the upper setting would be good for a little serious baking as well as cooking.

Always good to check the temp ranges of your appliances especially the older ones.
                              Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment