Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Slow cooking!

Dept. of Redundancy Dept. Cow Poke's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    And cornbread. I keep forgetting that not everybody knows you're supposed to have cornbread with stuff.

(which is also why I hadn't mentioned bacon)

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

2. Amen Jedidiah amen'd this post.
    Theologyweb's Official Grandfather Jedidiah's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I have never tried making cornbread in a slow cooker.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedidiah View Post
    I have never tried making cornbread in a slow cooker.
    Me, too, neither.

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Shirt Ninja View Post
    I love slow cooked meals. What are some good ones I and other T-webbers could try?
    Roast, with potato's and carrots is pretty easy to make.
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

6. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.
    40th Mojave Summer DesertBerean's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I have probably the first generation CrockPot. I checked the temp with an oven thermometer and an electronic temp probe (the kind you stick into food). My LOW was about 175, and my HIGH was 289 and very slowly edging up according to the probe. Looks like the upper setting would be good for a little serious baking as well as cooking.

Always good to check the temp ranges of your appliances especially the older ones.

Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertBerean View Post
    I have probably the first generation CrockPot. I checked the temp with an oven thermometer and an electronic temp probe (the kind you stick into food). My LOW was about 175, and my HIGH was 289 and very slowly edging up according to the probe. Looks like the upper setting would be good for a little serious baking as well as cooking.

Always good to check the temp ranges of your appliances especially the older ones.
    Mine is 43 years old.

I don't use it much anymore, and sometimes think I would like to get a new one. Recipes are better these days.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Slow cooking is all the rage right now. I can't look at my Facebook without seeing at least one recipe for it.

I did have a younger CrockPot, a wedding present, but I chose to sell that off rather than my ancient one. My dad has a oval one but I already have some of my mother's stuff so I kinda hate to ask for that right now.

10. Amen mossrose amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertBerean View Post
    Slow cooking is all the rage right now. I can't look at my Facebook without seeing at least one recipe for it.

I did have a younger CrockPot, a wedding present, but I chose to sell that off rather than my ancient one. My dad has a oval one but I already have some of my mother's stuff so I kinda hate to ask for that right now.
    This is the large one that I got for a gift last year. I like it because you can automatically set the cook time and it goes into warm mode once the timer runs out. I haven't really used the dipper yet, but I might try it out at some point in time.
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I think I'm gonna get a chunk of beef, some taters, onions and carrots and let them hot tub all day Thursday.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
    This is the large one that I got for a gift last year. I like it because you can automatically set the cook time and it goes into warm mode once the timer runs out. I haven't really used the dipper yet, but I might try it out at some point in time.
    Hmmm. Judging from the reviews, your model has quite a reputation for high tempatures. ..