Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Languages 301 Guidelines

This is where we come to delve into the biblical text. Theology is not our foremost thought, but we realize it is something that will be dealt with in nearly every conversation. Feel free to use the original languages to make your point (meaning Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic). This is an exegetical discussion area, so please limit topics to purely biblical ones.

This is not the section for debates between theists and atheists. While a theistic viewpoint is not required for discussion in this area, discussion does presuppose a respect for the integrity of the Biblical text (or the willingness to accept such a presupposition for discussion purposes) and a respect for the integrity of the faith of others and a lack of an agenda to undermine the faith of others.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Revelation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Revelation 2:25

Text: (NA27):
    πλὴν ὃ ἔχετε κρατήσατε ἄχρι[ς] οὗ ἂν ἥξω.

Transliteration (Accordance):
    plēn ho echete kratēsate achri[s] hou an hēxō.

Translation (WEB = revised ASV):
    Nevertheless, hold firmly that which you have, until I come.

Analysis (Zerwick/BDAG, meanings in this context):
    πλήν : except, only.
    κρατήσατε : aorist imperative κρατέω hold firmly.
    ἄχρι[ς] : until, unto, ἄχρι[ς] οὗ ἂν until such time as (= ἄχρι τοῦ χρόνου ᾡ) ἥξω until I come, future or aorist subjunctive of ἥκω (only in present = have come 1 Jn 5:20).

Comment

Revelation 2:26

Καὶ ὁ νικῶν καὶ ὁ τηρῶν ἄχρι τέλους τὰ ἔργα μου, δώσω αὐτῷ ἐξουσίαν ἐπὶ τῶν ἐθνῶν

Kai ho nikōn kai ho tērōn achri telous ta erga mou, dōsō autō̧ exousian epi tōn ethnōn

He who overcomes, and he who keeps my works to the end, to him I will give authority over the nations.

ὁ νικῶν : pendent nominative.*
      τηρῶν : participle of τηρέω keep.
      τέλος : end.
      *BG §25. The pendent nominative (nominativas pendens; also called, in Latin nom. absolutus, "absolute nominative" in English grammar; also called nom. relationis, "nominative of relation" because expressing the notion of "with regard to ..." is a form of anacoluthon frequent enough in vulgar Greek. It consists in the enunciation of the logical (not grammatical) subject at the beginning of the sentence, followed by a sentence in which that subject is taken up by a pronoun in the case required by the syntax, e.g. ... Rev 2,26: ὁ νικῶν καὶ ὁ τηρῶν ... τὰ ἔργα μου... δώσω αὐτῷ ἐξουσίαν

Comment

Revelation 2:27-28a

καὶ ποιμανεῖ αὐτοὺς ἐν ῥάβδῳ σιδηρᾷ ὡς τὰ σκεύη τὰ κεραμικὰ συντρίβεται, 28a ὡς κἀγὼ εἴληφα παρὰ τοῦ πατρός μου

kai poimanei autous en rhabdō̧ sidēra̧ hōs ta skeuē ta keramika syntribetai, 28a hōs kagō eilēpha para tou patros mou

He will rule them with a rod of iron, shattering them like clay pots; as I also have received of my Father

ποιμανεῖ : future of ποιμαίνω mind a flock, hence rule.
        ἐν : instrumental with.
        ῥάβδος, -ου, ἡ : rod.
        σιδηροῦς, -ᾶ, -οῦν : of iron.
        σκεῦος, -ους, τό : vessel, pot.
        κεραμικός : of clay.
        συντρίβεται : passive of συντρίβω smash, present for future.
        κἀγώ = καὶ ἐγώ.
        εἴληφα : perfect of λαμβάνω receive.

Comment

Revelation 2:28b

καὶ δώσω αὐτῷ τὸν ἀστέρα τὸν πρωϊνόν.

kai dōsō autō̧ ton astera ton prōinon.

and I will give him the morning star.

ἀστήρ, έρος, ὁ : star.
          πρωϊνός : early ; ὁ ἀστὴρ τὸν πρωϊνόν the morning star (Venus), symbol of Christ 22:16.

Comment

Revelation 2:29

Ὁ ἔχων οὖς ἀκουσάτω τί τὸ πνεῦμα λέγει ταῖς ἐκκλησίαις.

hO echōn ous akousatō ti to pneuma legei tais ekklēsiais.

Translation (ESV):
            He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.

οὖς, ὠτός, τό : ear.
            ἀκουσάτω : aorist imperative of ἀκούω hear.
            τί : as indirect interrogative.

Comment

Revelation 3:1

Καὶ τῷ ἀγγέλῳ τῆς ἐν Σάρδεσιν ἐκκλησίας γράψον· Τάδε λέγει ὁ ἔχων τὰ ἑπτὰ πνεύματα τοῦ θεοῦ καὶ τοὺς ἑπτὰ ἀστέρας· οἶδά σου τὰ ἔργα ὅτι ὄνομα ἔχεις ὅτι ζῇς, καὶ νεκρὸς εἶ.

Kai tō̧ aggelō̧ tēs en Sardesin ekklēsias grapson; Tade legei ho echōn ta hepta pneumata tou theou kai tous hepta asteras; oida sou ta erga hoti onoma echeis hoti zȩ̄s, kai nekros ei.

Translation (TNIV):
              “And to the angel of the church in Sardis write: These are the words of him who has the seven spirits of God and the seven stars: “I know your works; you have a name of being alive, but you are dead.

ἄγγελος : angel, or messenger.
              γράψον : aorist imperative of γράφω write.
              τάδε : these things (classical referring to what follows) opposite ταῦτα (classical referring to what precedes).
              ἀστήρ : star.
              ὄνομα ἔχεις ὅτι... : you have the name of....
              ζῇς : 2nd singular of ζάω live

Comment

Revelation 3:2

γίνου γρηγορῶν καὶ στήρισον τὰ λοιπὰ ἃ ἔμελλον ἀποθανεῖν, οὐ γὰρ εὕρηκά σου τὰ ἔργα πεπληρωμένα ἐνώπιον τοῦ θεοῦ μου.

ginou grēgorōn kai stērison ta loipa ha emellon apothanein, ou gar heurēka sou ta erga peplērōmena enōpion tou theou mou.

Translation (ESV):
                Wake up, and strengthen what remains and is about to die, for I have not found your works complete in the sight of my God.

γίνου : imperative of γίνομαι become.
                γρηγορῶν : participle of γρηγορέω be watchful, alert ; γίνου γρηγορῶν periphrastic (Aramaism) to express continual watchfulness.
                στήρισον : aorist imperative of στηρίζω stabilize, strengthen.
                λοιπός : (< λείπω leave) left, τὰ λοιπά what remains (sc. of your Christian life).
                ἔμελλον : imperfect of μέλλω be about to.
                ἀποθανεῖν : aorist infinitive of ἀποθνῄσκω die.
                εὕρηκά : perfect of εὑρίσκω find.
                πεπληρωμένα : perfect passive participle of πληρόω fulfill, complete.

Comment

Revelation 3:3

μνημόνευε οὖν πῶς εἴληφας καὶ ἤκουσας καὶ τήρει καὶ μετανόησον. ἐὰν οὖν μὴ γρηγορήσῃς, ἥξω ὡς κλέπτης, καὶ οὐ μὴ γνῷς ποίαν ὥραν ἥξω ἐπὶ σέ.

mnēmoneue oun pōs eilēphas kai ēkousas kai tērei kai metanoēson. ean oun mē grēgorēsȩ̄s, hēxō hōs kleptēs, kai ou mē gnō̧s poian hōran hēxō epi se.

Translation (ESV):
                  Remember, then, what you received and heard. Keep it, and repent. If you will not wake up, I will come like a thief, and you will not know at what hour I will come against you.

μνημόνευε : imperative of μνημονεύω remember.
                  πῶς : as indirect interrogative.
                  εἴληφας : perfect of λαμβάνω receive, perfect meaning have received (and still hold), but the form (augment substituting for reduplication) lends itself to treatment as if aorist, cf 5:7, 8:5.
                  ἤκουσας : aorist of ἀκούω hear.
                  τήρει : imperative of τηρέω keep, understanding as object "it" (i.e. what you still hold).
                  μετανόησον : aorist imperative of μετανοέω repent.
                  γρηγορήσῃς : aorist subjunctive of γρηγορέω stay awake, be watchful.
                  ἥξω : I shall come 2:25.
                  κλέπτης : thief.
                  οὐ μή : with subjunctive emphatic negative referring to the future.
                  γνῷς : aorist subjunctive of γινώσκω know.
                  ποῖος; : what kind? also as indirect interrogative what ; accusative may denote a point in time Jn 4:52, Ac 10:3.

Comment

Revelation 3:4

ἀλλὰ ἔχεις ὀλίγα ὀνόματα ἐν Σάρδεσιν ἃ οὐκ ἐμόλυναν τὰ ἱμάτια αὐτῶν, καὶ περιπατήσουσιν μετ᾿ ἐμοῦ ἐν λευκοῖς, ὅτι ἄξιοί εἰσιν.

alla echeis oliga onomata en Sardesin ha ouk emolynan ta himatia autōn, kai peripatēsousin met’ emou en leukois, hoti axioi eisin.

Translation (NRSV):
                    Yet you have still a few persons in Sardis who have not soiled their clothes; they will walk with me, dressed in white, for they are worthy.

ὀλίγος : small, plural a few.
                    ὀνόματα : (Hebraism) names = persons, people Ac 1:15.
                    ἐμόλυναν : aorist of μολύνω defile.
                    ἱμάτιον : (outer) garment.
                    περιπατήσουσιν : future of περιπατέω go about, walk about.
                    λευκός : white.
                    ἄξιος : (< ἄγω draw down a scale, weigh) worthy.

Comment

Revelation 3:5

Ὁ νικῶν οὕτως περιβαλεῖται ἐν ἱματίοις λευκοῖς καὶ οὐ μὴ ἐξαλείψω τὸ ὄνομα αὐτοῦ ἐκ τῆς βίβλου τῆς ζωῆς καὶ ὁμολογήσω τὸ ὄνομα αὐτοῦ ἐνώπιον τοῦ πατρός μου καὶ ἐνώπιον τῶν ἀγγέλων αὐτοῦ.

hO nikōn houtōs peribaleitai en himatiois leukois kai ou mē exaleipsō to onoma autou ek tēs biblou tēs zōēs kai homologēsō to onoma autou enōpion tou patros mou kai enōpion tōn aggelōn autou.

He who overcomes will be arrayed in white garments, and I will in no way blot his name out of the book of life, and I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.

νικῶν : participle of νικάω conquer, be victorious 2:7.
                      περιβαλεῖται : future middle of περιβάλλω put on or around (one), middle put on (oneself), here with ἐν (also 4:4) translate shall be clothed in...
                      ἐξαλείψω : aorist subjunctive of ἐξαλείφω wipe out.
                      βίβλος, -ου, ἡ : (= βύβλος papyrus) roll, book.
                      καί : (2nd time) but.
                      ὁμολογήσω : future of ὁμολογέω acknowledge, cf Mt 10:32.

Comment

Revelation 3:6

Ὁ ἔχων οὖς ἀκουσάτω τί τὸ πνεῦμα λέγει ταῖς ἐκκλησίαις.

hO echōn ous akousatō ti to pneuma legei tais ekklēsiais.

Translation (ESV):
                        He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.

οὖς, ὠτός, τό : ear.
                        ἀκουσάτω : aorist imperative of ἀκούω hear.
                        τί : as indirect interrogative.

Comment

Revelation 3:7

Καὶ τῷ ἀγγέλῳ τῆς ἐν Φιλαδελφείᾳ ἐκκλησίας γράψον· Τάδε λέγει ὁ ἅγιος, ὁ ἀληθινός, ὁ ἔχων τὴν κλεῖν Δαυίδ, ὁ ἀνοίγων καὶ οὐδεὶς κλείσει καὶ κλείων καὶ οὐδεὶς ἀνοίγει·

Kai tō̧ aggelō̧ tēs en Philadelpheia̧ ekklēsias grapson; Tade legei ho hagios, ho alēthinos, ho echōn tēn klein Dauid, ho anoigōn kai oudeis kleisei kai kleiōn kai oudeis anoigei;

Translation (ESV):
                          And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia write: These are the words of the holy one, the true one, who has the key of David, who opens and no one will shut, who shuts and no one opens:

γράψον : aorist imperative of γράφω write.
                          τάδε : these things.
                          ἀληθινός : true, genuine ; Hebrew true to one's promises.
                          κλείς, κλειδός, ἡ : key : to hold the key implying all authority.
                          Δαυίδ : indeclinable, here genitive.
                          ἀνοίγων : participle of ἀνοίγω open.
                          κλείσει : future of κλείω shut ; in ὁ ἀνοίγων καὶ οὐδεὶς κλείσει the καί is consecutive so that.

Comment

Revelation 3:8

οἶδά σου τὰ ἔργα, ἰδοὺ δέδωκα ἐνώπιόν σου θύραν ἠνεῳγμένην, ἣν οὐδεὶς δύναται κλεῖσαι αὐτήν, ὅτι μικρὰν ἔχεις δύναμιν καὶ ἐτήρησάς μου τὸν λόγον καὶ οὐκ ἠρνήσω τὸ ὄνομά μου.

oida sou ta erga, idou dedōka enōpion sou thyran ēneō̧gmenēn, hēn oudeis dynatai kleisai autēn, hoti mikran echeis dynamin kai etērēsas mou ton logon kai ouk ērnēsō to onoma mou.

Translation (ESV):
                            I know your works. Behold, I have set before you an open door, which no one is able to shut. I know that you have but little power, and yet you have kept my word and have not denied my name.

δέδωκα : perfect of δίδωμι in Hebrew sense of set.
                            θύρα : door = an opening to spread the gospel, 1 Cor 16:9.
                            ἠνεῳγμένην : perfect passive participle (with triple augment) of ἀνοίγω open.
                            κλεῖσαι : aorist infinitive of κλείω shut.
                            αὐτήν : redundant after ἣν (Semitism).
                            μικρός : little.
                            καί : (1st time) and yet.
                            ἐτήρησας : aorist of τηρέω keep.
                            ἠρνήσω : aorist 2nd singular of ἀρνέομαι deny.

Comment

Revelation 3:9

ἰδοὺ διδῶ ἐκ τῆς συναγωγῆς τοῦ σατανᾶ τῶν λεγόντων ἑαυτοὺς Ἰουδαίους εἶναι, καὶ οὐκ εἰσὶν ἀλλὰ ψεύδονται. ἰδοὺ ποιήσω αὐτοὺς ἵνα ἥξουσιν καὶ προσκυνήσουσιν ἐνώπιον τῶν ποδῶν σου καὶ γνῶσιν ὅτι ἐγὼ ἠγάπησά σε.

idou didō ek tēs synagōgēs tou satana tōn legontōn heautous Ioudaious einai, kai ouk eisin alla pseudontai. idou poiēsō autous hina hēxousin kai proskynēsousin enōpion tōn podōn sou kai gnōsin hoti egō ēgapēsa se.

Translation (NRSV):
                              I will make those of the synagogue of Satan who say that they are Jews and are not, but are lying—I will make them come and bow down before your feet, and they will learn that I have loved you.

διδῶ : for δίδωμι ; ἰδοὺ διδῶ literal Hebraic construction "behold me granting, that...", i.e. I will bring it about that...
                              ἐκ τῆς συναγωγῆς : understand τινές before ἐκ (some of those) from the synagogue 2:10.
                              τῶν λεγόντων ... καὶ οὐκ εἰσὶν : participial construction lapsing into indicative with καί coordinate.
                              ψεύδομαι : utter an untruth, lie.
                              ποιήσω : future of ποιέω make.
                              ἥξουσιν : future of ἥκω come.
                              ποιήσω αὐτοὺς ἵνα ἥξουσιν : consecutive I will make them come, with future (instead of subjunctive) following ἵνα ; proleptic pronoun = Hebraism.
                              προσκυνήσουσιν : future of προσκυνέω (τινί) or ― sometimes, e.g. 9:20, 13:8 ― (τινά) prostrate oneself before, go down on one's knees to, worship (one).
                              γνῶσιν : aorist subjunctive of γινώσκω know ; dependent on ἵνα.
                              ἠγάπησα : aorist of ἀγαπάω, possibly the aorist represents a Hebraic perfect which in verbs denoting a state may = present (Mark 1:11 εὐδόκησα).
                              Last edited by John Reece; 04-21-2014, 09:53 AM.

Comment

Revelation 3:10

ὅτι ἐτήρησας τὸν λόγον τῆς ὑπομονῆς μου, κἀγώ σε τηρήσω ἐκ τῆς ὥρας τοῦ πειρασμοῦ τῆς μελλούσης ἔρχεσθαι ἐπὶ τῆς οἰκουμένης ὅλης πειράσαι τοὺς κατοικοῦντας ἐπὶ τῆς γῆς.

hoti etērēsas ton logon tēs hypomonēs mou, kagō se tērēsō ek tēs hōras tou peirasmou tēs mellousēs erchesthai epi tēs oikoumenēs holēs peirasai tous katoikountas epi tēs gēs.

Translation (TNIV):
                                Since you have kept my command to endure patiently, I will also keep you from the hour of trial that is going to come on the whole world to test those who live on the earth.

ὑπομονή : constancy, τὸν λόγον τῆς ὑπομονῆς μου my call to constancy.
                                κἀγώ = καὶ ἐγώ I also.
                                τηρήσω : future of τηρέω keep.
                                μελλούσης : participle of μέλλω with infinitive be about to.
                                οἰκουμένη : (sc. γῆ) ἡ the inhabitants of the earth.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X