Announcement

Collapse

Comparative Religions 101 Guidelines

Welcome to Comp Religions, this is where the sights and sounds of the many world religions come together in a big World's Fair type atmosphere, without those delicious funnel cakes.

World Religions is a theist only type place, but that does not exclude certain religionists who practice non-theistic faiths ala Buddhism. If you are not sure, ask a moderator.

This is not a place where we argue the existence / non-existence of God.

And as usual, the forum rules apply.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Mark 16:18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark 16:18

Pretty sure this has been addressed: But I am watching a documentary/reality tv show called "Snake Salvation" Which follows the lives of two pastors in the outliers of the Pentecostal Holiness Movement known as Snake Handling. I'm posting it here in Comparative religions because I'm not sure how much more unorthodox you can get according to Christianity without being in a cult subset. I can't quite wrap my mind around a religious sect that basis its whole worship and ideas off of an entire verse. From my understanding their whole belief regarding salvation rests not on the crucifixion and resurrection but on this verse.
    After hearing some interview, the pastors and their congregants are willing to defy law which is designed to protect endangered or threatened wildlife and human population from life threatening injuries, deny medical attention at risk of death. Though admittedly pit vipers which are the species they handle tend to deliver "dry bites" as warnings first which would explain why death is seen but not as common.

I find the lack of knowledge really sad. I don't don't doubt these folks really love each other and on some level when your raised in a 100 year old tradition you really likely develop an intense love for the Lord, but I believe they are blinded by their beliefs, much in the way some of the churches of Scripture were blinded and did not have a controlled worship service and became caught up.

If this need be moved please do it. I have never stepped foot in a snake church much less a pentecostal holiness church. Has anyone seen this up close and personal?
    Its comparison to more mainstream Christianity is like comparing Hari Krishna to Authentic Hinduism.. IMO
    A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
    George Bernard Shaw

Mark 16:9-20 are not in the oldest copies of the gospel.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
      Yes, I have been reading that. Scholars think they were added in the second century. Although I doubt that Sects such as the Pentecostal Holiness and Holiness who have no formal seminary actually know this. They're also KJV only.
      A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
      George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
        Pretty sure this has been addressed: But I am watching a documentary/reality tv show called "Snake Salvation" Which follows the lives of two pastors in the outliers of the Pentecostal Holiness Movement known as Snake Handling. I'm posting it here in Comparative religions because I'm not sure how much more unorthodox you can get according to Christianity without being in a cult subset. I can't quite wrap my mind around a religious sect that basis its whole worship and ideas off of an entire verse. From my understanding their whole belief regarding salvation rests not on the crucifixion and resurrection but on this verse.
        After hearing some interview, the pastors and their congregants are willing to defy law which is designed to protect endangered or threatened wildlife and human population from life threatening injuries, deny medical attention at risk of death. Though admittedly pit vipers which are the species they handle tend to deliver "dry bites" as warnings first which would explain why death is seen but not as common.

I find the lack of knowledge really sad. I don't don't doubt these folks really love each other and on some level when your raised in a 100 year old tradition you really likely develop an intense love for the Lord, but I believe they are blinded by their beliefs, much in the way some of the churches of Scripture were blinded and did not have a controlled worship service and became caught up.

If this need be moved please do it. I have never stepped foot in a snake church much less a pentecostal holiness church. Has anyone seen this up close and personal?
        Its comparison to more mainstream Christianity is like comparing Hari Krishna to Authentic Hinduism.. IMO
        I consider it a full blown cult. Actually Hari Krishna is not that far from Hinduism. There are many subsets of Hinduism more interesting than the Hari Krishna in India.

I would prefer to compare religions than extreme cults
        Last edited by shunyadragon; 06-10-2015, 06:29 PM.
        Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
        Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Regardless. the quote need not be taken literal as the basis for acts testing one's faith handling snakes. It could be simply symbolic of the power of one's faith to meet tests in the 'crucible of life.' Justifying one verse or verses as being original or not based on what texts are available is a dangerous rabbit hole to go down.
          But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

"And when Paul had gathered a bundle of sticks, and laid them on the fire, there came a viper out of the heat, and fastened on his hand. . . . . . . And he shook off the beast into the fire, and felt no harm." -- Acts 28:3-5.
            . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
              "And when Paul had gathered a bundle of sticks, and laid them on the fire, there came a viper out of the heat, and fastened on his hand. . . . . . . And he shook off the beast into the fire, and felt no harm." -- Acts 28:3-5.
              This should not be interpreted as Paul using the bite of a vipor as test of his faith as the Pentacostal Holliness believers propose. This is an example of a response to a natural incident where it is possible that Paul was protected or healed by Divine intervention.

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                This should not be interpreted as Paul using the bite of a vipor as test of his faith as the Pentacostal Holliness believers propose. This is an example of a response to a natural incident where it is possible that Paul was protected or healed by Divine intervention.
                It is to what Mark 16:18 refers. Not the nonsense of playing with snakes as some false test of faith not to get bit. Paul got bit.
                . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
                  It is to what Mark 16:18 refers. Not the nonsense of playing with snakes as some false test of faith not to get bit. Paul got bit.
                  Yes - because the power of our faith may protect us from poisonous snakes is no reason to hunt down poisonous snakes and "tempt God".
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

A sum total of just two copies.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X