Game Thread: Tavern Brawl!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Game Thread: Tavern Brawl!

[DM’s note: I’m presuming none of you have ever met before since no one told me to the contrary. Last chance to say otherwise! After the first responses, we’re going with whatever is established.]

It’s getting late in the afternoon. There’s a cool breeze from the east, made even nicer by the hint of lavender being blown in from the lavender fields. Gastove, the tiny kingdom tucked safely in a lush valley surrounded by very inhospitable mountains, has only two things of note: its chief export, lavender; and the renowned Bare Knuckles Tavern.

Each of you has read the lovely pamphlet enough times to know it by heart:

The Bare Knuckles is located in Gastove’s only true city, Ermygon. Named for the Great Sorcerer himself, Ermygon didn’t exist 50 years ago but is now a respectably sized metropolis with a large market district which is itself becoming well known in adventuring circles, one of the best hospitals in all of the Weavarian Continent and, of course, the Bare Knuckles.

Laws in Ermygon take the unique attraction into consideration. Violence between adventurers close to, but not within, the Bare Knuckles is given the benefit of the doubt (boys will be boys, after all). Accidents do happen so adventurers who find they have inadvertently busted a +3 mace over a noncombatant towns person‘s overly thick skull needn’t fear prosecution - so long as they are reasonably close to the Bare Knuckles or circumstances explain the error.

The law also works to protect the locals and the few noncombatant tourists. Violence outside of the very well marked perimeter of the Bare Knuckles is absolutely prohibited. There are two perimeters marked: the outermost ‘free for all’ zone in which a person’s intent to enter or leave the Bare Knuckles is presumed and the innermost ‘Magical Safety Zone’, which is so widely renowned that explanation is unnecessary. Violence in the FFA is tolerated to a point - it’s hard to stop fighting just because you fell over a line and the people of Ermygon realize that - but they also don’t want the streets red with blood - bad for business so it behooves the adventurer to pay attention to the zone markings as they are enjoying the amenities of the famed Bare Knuckles.

Spell casters are notified on entry to the city where they may or may not cast magic neutralizing spells. In the Bare Knuckles itself, no spell is off limits, a testament to the genius of the Sorcerer Ermygon, but no disruption spells are permitted in the MSZ as there a few small areas where such spells could cause difficulties - mostly for the caster but also for the hapless adventurer who is too close when the thing goes off. Offensive spells are not permitted in the FFA for obvious reasons.

Adventurers coming into Ermygon are provided with all the necessary information for a safe and entertaining experience. In the few rare cases where unsavory individuals have tried to take unfair advantage of Ermygon’s permissiveness, their treachery has met with swift and painful response. Ermygon, in its enlightened progressiveness, rarely enacts the death penalty, but their choice to use enslavement as punishment for violent transgressors makes violating Ermygonian law a poor choice for any adventurer.

Gastove has several ‘roads’ leading into it - road being an overstatement in most cases. The high mountain trails are difficult and dangerous which explains why Gastove needs its peculiar attraction to get anyone to come here. Korangar and Davben came in from the Deadman’s Folly Road to the west; Carrik and Twig came in on the Friezian Freeway, named for the insane ranger of the legendary Band of Eight, which is more goat trail than road and comes in from the North. Farley and Marsha ([Spart was kind enough to provide a temporary name for Chris’ character - Maggie Gallagher but even we evil DM’s have our limits...]) Used the Lavender Lane which is the only true road and comes in from the east; Twig alone used the Dwarven Death trail, most of which is underground and none of which pretends to be a road, from the south.

By happenstance, you all arrive the same late afternoon within a few hours of each other. The Bare Knuckles has satellite business offices located in each of the Town Gates. There you each pay your $50,000 gold for the privilege of entering the Bare Knuckles and staying five full days and nights either at the Bare Knuckles or at the St Glenda’s Traumatic Injury Hospital (for as long as need be). All amenities, privileges and those pesky legal warnings are explained in excruciating detail (they don’t like to have dissatisfied customers or unnecessary lawsuits). Food, drink, lodging, 3 healing potions/day and personal attendants are included (tipping is discouraged); gambling stakes and other personal services are at your own expense (the latter being a mere formality - no one comes here for the dancing girls. And if you expect more than dancing, you are in for a very rude awakening - as is very bluntly explained in the business office).

Each of the very polite concierges encourages each of you to check in and place your belongings in the (relative) safety of your rooms. Any valuables can be left in the Town Safe - and probably should be if fragile.

Once again, happenstance takes a hand - each of you arrives in the Grand Lobby of the Bare Knuckles at the same time. The Maitre de assigns rooms and personal assistants.

You are now clients of the Bare Knuckles Tavern - where would you like to begin?

[DM’s note: describe your character in your opening post]
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Any restrictions? (In regards to the character)
    Better to illuminate than merely to shine, to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate.

-Thomas Aquinas

I love to travel, But hate to arrive.

-Hernando Cortez

What is the good of experience if you do not reflect?

-Frederick 2, Holy Roman Emperor

Comment

[Psst! OOC things should be said in square brackets!]
      "It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
      -Unknown

"Preach the gospel, and if necessary use words." - Most likely St.Francis

I find that evolution is the best proof of God.
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      I support the :
      sigpic

Comment

Twig is an elf just under 5 feet tall, with dark hair and eyes, dressed in green and brown. He's carrying a bow nearly as large as he is, with a scabbarded long-sword, and a battle-axe of dwarven make thrust through his belt. As he turns from the concierge, a dwarf a good six inches shorter than he is accosts him in a rage, "Give me back my battle-axe, or I'll break ye like th' 'twig' y'are!" Twig starts guiltily. "Oh, that was your batttle-axe, Gunthor? I thought those rooms looked a little nicer than the norm. You shouldn't leave nice things like that lying about." He pulls the battle-axe free from his belt and hands it to the dwarf. You note that Twig handles the axe like it weighs almost nothing. Gunthor snatches back the axe and splutters, "Lyin' about?! It'were locked in me chest!" Twig concedes, "True, but it wasn't a very good lock. And tell your father that the easiest path shouldn't go through your rooms." Gunthor glares for a moment, then stalks off muttering. Twig sees that he's the center of attention, and says cheerfully, "Hi. Don't mind him. We go way back. He'll get over it. I go by 'Twig.' I'm just here to have a little fun. After all that time underground, it's nice to have a little room to shoot."
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

[Fine]

Shlak is a human, about five and a half feet tall, with light brown hair, green eyes, and a small scar running down his right ear. He wears a cloak, as black as the star-less sky, with a hood that obscures his face in shadows. He wears a leather chest-piece, with thick leather padding underneath. On his back, hidden by the cloak, he carries three weapons. The first two are a pair of sheathed, steel short swords, tightly fastened, as to not move around and make noise, even when sprinting. The third is a small, wooden crossbow, the bolts to which, he carries in a quiver, fastened behind him, on his belt. He walks into the tavern, barely being noticed by anyone in the tavern, and takes his seat at an unoccupied table....
          Better to illuminate than merely to shine, to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate.

-Thomas Aquinas

I love to travel, But hate to arrive.

-Hernando Cortez

What is the good of experience if you do not reflect?

-Frederick 2, Holy Roman Emperor

Comment

Carrik gruffly thanks the concierge and removes his helmet. Closely-cropped white hair stands out in stark contrast to brown skin and black eyes. At five foot eleven, Carrik is tall for a dwarf, and his mien is all the more imposing for it. Plate armor clanks as he shifts in place, scanning the room for possible targets. Somewhere around here, he knows, are the transgressors he has been tracking. His right hand brushes gently against the heavy mace hung at his side. Across his back is strapped a heavy crossbow. His shield, for the moment, leans against his leg.

Carrik's eyes narrow as he examines the people around him. "By the Cudgel," he mutters. "It would appear I've my work cut out for me."
            I'm not here anymore.

Comment

[Which route did Tavish DeGroot come from? ]
              Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

Comment

A balding dwarf with a knotted beard and a sword as tall as he is strapped to his back accosts Twig and slurs the following threat at him, "I'm only gonna warn you oncesh: if I ever catchsh you with your hands on my sword, the nexsht place it'sh gonna be is in your shkull. Korangar doeshn't threaten: he promishesh!" A second's pause, then he laughs loudly. "You sheem like fun. Let'sh go have an ale!"

[Can you tell I have a negative Charisma modifier?]
                Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
                  [Can you tell I have a negative Charisma modifier?]
                  [Don't tell me you rolled a drunken master.]
                  I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                    [Don't tell me you rolled a drunken master.]
                    [nope, just a dwarf with a drinking problem. Or is that redundant?

Drunken masters are unarmed combatants. They wouldn't have much use for a greatsword, except maybe to lean on]

Comment

[Drunken masters are unarmed combatants. They wouldn't have much use for a greatsword, except maybe to lean on]
                      [There's no reason that need be true. The only thing scarier than a drunken fighter is one that has a greatsword in his hands.]
                      I'm not here anymore.

Comment

[There's no reason that need be true. The only thing scarier than a drunken fighter is one that has a greatsword in his hands.]
                        [Is Twig gonna respond or not? ]

Comment

[Is Twig gonna respond or not? ]
                          [How should I know?]
                          I'm not here anymore.

Comment

[How should I know?]
                            [Well, I'm not gonna reveal except in-character that my dwarf is a straight-up barbarian, so you're just gonna have to wait and see what he's capable of.]

Comment

Farley was a scrawny little human a little over 5 feet tall, with grey hair and green eyes, gradually getting used to the pungent odours of urban life. He was wearing an ordinary-looking set of hide armour with a more ornate wooden shield and a sickle by his side. He looked around and smiled to himself:

'If only those bullies could see me now, sent by the council itself on such an important mission!'

Farley took his room key from the concierge. “Thank you. Just so we're clear, please instruct your staff to not use the word 'pet'. He doesn't take kindly to that.”

Farley scanned the room. 'That scoundrel, whoever he is, must be a guest here, the main thing for now is to blend in.' His attention was drawn to a loud group sat around a large table, reeking of ale. 'As good a group as any,' he thought to himself, and approached them.

“Good morning! The name's Farley. You all seem very full of life over here, mind if I join you?”

[I'll let the others decide who I just greeted]
                              --------------------------------------------------------

Nakonec pravda vitezi (In the end the truth wins)

Nobility Among Us and Beyond the Mist are now on sale worldwide, as is my first poetry collection, Selected Verse - Faith and Family and my second, Selected Verse - Heroes and Wonders

Explore the Cinematic Superverse

A Hope That Burns

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X