Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Ethics 301 Guidelines

This forum is for Christians to discuss ethical issues within Christianity. Non-theists, non-christians, and unorthodox Christians should not post here without first getting permission from the area's moderators.

If you have a question about what's OK and what's not OK, please contact the moderators.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Divorce and Adultery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
    They may be experts on social science by their logic sucks: Jesus couldn't have been redefining adultery such that adultery could be committed against women because general Mediterranean culture, so ignore the clear sense of the text, as well as the fact that Jesus had been transgressing and redefining social norms left, right, and center, with marriage being precisely the one immediately prior.
    Pep, reread it - that's not his argument at all. You're actually echoing both Adrift and I here.

Also, chill a bit, you're losing your prepositions!
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
      As per Witherington:

Jesus seems to assume that the first one-flesh union is still in force even after the divorce, hence the second marriage is seen as an act of adultery
      No contradiction, however. Guilty spouse leaves for another thereby severing the connection (again per Jesus), so why is the innocent spouse obliged to remain single?
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

The other thing to consider is Jesus statement that divorce was not given in the beginning, but was added because of hardness of hearts. Regardless of the cultural implications of divorce regarding family structure, Jesus makes it clear that divorce is very much a fallen thing, not a creative design thing.

We also have 1 Corinthians 7 to consider.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X