Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Naomi Oreskes, the "denialists" bane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sea of red View Post
    Sure they do.

But we have better ways of obtaining that energy now, including clean coal.
    I have no problem with clean coal unless it puts a coal plant out of business and makes it more expensive to survive.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

I simply reversed your question.
      Now what?
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by Wally View Post
        The word you're looking for is actually:

Consensus
        a : general agreement : unanimity <the consensus of their opinion, based on reports … from the border — John Hersey>
        b : the judgment arrived at by most of those concerned <the consensus was to go ahead>
        Scientific consensus can be good or bad. In the time of Copernicus, the scientific consensus was that the sun orbited the earth. Before Einstein, the scientific consensus was that Newtonian physics always applied. Now, it's only the cranks who deny relativity and heliocentrism.
        Your welcome.
        What about my welcome?

For the record, I acknowledge global warming, without which this would be a cold rock to live on. I even acknowledge that humans contribute to it to some extent. I am, however, skeptical of wild claims like "the Arctic ice cap will be gone by 2013" and shoddy science that uses sleight of hand to make the MWP disappear. It's a laudable goal to pollute as little as possible; on the other hand crippling our economy while other countries do nothing is self-defeating.
        Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
          I have no problem with clean coal unless it puts a coal plant out of business and makes it more expensive to survive.
          Talk to the insurance companies and geniuses in Washington, because I can't offer anything on that.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
            Now what?
            Now nothing.

We've reached a dead end.

Comment

Then you need to ask for a clarification in the future. My point was that it's not a one-way street. Plenty of people on the denial side of behaved not so nicely, yet you're not talking about that.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                I don't think I understand the argument you keep bringing up here. Are you comparing climate advocates to major industries that contribute to carbon emissions, because the advocates have been known to use private jets and limos? Wouldn't the output of emissions from, say, the coal industry alone, vastly exceed all of the emissions from those private jets and limos? Vastly?
                Emissions are included as part of the whole. I think seer was pointing out the hypocrisy of it all, which I agree (nothing more annoying than someone not practicing what they preach), but the bigger issue is the politics of this. Whatever policies would be enacted to curb the problem would have include emissions.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                  Scientific consensus can be good or bad. In the time of Copernicus, the scientific consensus was that the sun orbited the earth. Before Einstein, the scientific consensus was that Newtonian physics always applied. Now, it's only the cranks who deny relativity and heliocentrism.
                  You can overturn consensus but you have to have empirical evidence to back it up and take your lumps like anybody else.

For the record, I acknowledge global warming, without which this would be a cold rock to live on. I even acknowledge that humans contribute to it to some extent. I am, however, skeptical of wild claims like "the Arctic ice cap will be gone by 2013" and shoddy science that uses sleight of hand to make the MWP disappear. It's a laudable goal to pollute as little as possible; on the other hand crippling our economy while other countries do nothing is self-defeating.
                  The Medieval Warm Period is whole other can of worms I'm afraid.

It doesn't change the physics of the problem, which is feed-backs and tipping points, all which humans will be pushing in coming generations.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    Probably because of your initial remark about "poor persecuted climate change “skeptics”." I was pointing out that they might have good reason to feel a bit persecuted. And you still have said absolutely nothing to demonstrate that my assessment that you think that subjecting vocal critics of global warming to the death penalty is justified because some critics have behaved badly. In fact if anything I would say that you're doubling down.
                    I have said no such thing.

Ridiculous.

Comment

You can overturn consensus but you have to have empirical evidence to back it up and take your lumps like anybody else.
                      Yep - but that's difficult when all the money (due to politics) is vested in supporting the consensus and establishment is hostile to evidence that bucks the consensus (which happens in most/all fields, unfortunately).
                      The Medieval Warm Period is whole other can of worms I'm afraid.
                      It is, but subsistence farming in Greenland is a tough datum to ignore.
                      It doesn't change the physics of the problem, which is feed-backs and tipping points, all which humans will be pushing in coming generations.
                      It's really, really hard to accurately project what will happen (to date, the accuracy of the forecasts has been underwhelming to say the least). And it hurts the credibility of the forecasters more when politicians grossly exaggerate the near-term impact.

It seems to me that an emphasis on reforestation would help get some of that CO2 back out of the atmosphere, but I don't see people using that argument.
                      Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                        Emissions are included as part of the whole. I think seer was pointing out the hypocrisy of it all, which I agree (nothing more annoying than someone not practicing what they preach), but the bigger issue is the politics of this. Whatever policies would be enacted to curb the problem would have include emissions.
                        I don't see how its really hypocrisy though. The output from a coal plant has to monstrously exceed that of a lifetime of private jet plane trips. We're talking barely a drop in a very large bucket. And if the climate advocates get their way, won't they essentially be on the same receiving end as the rest of us? They benefit from industries with large CO2 outputs that the rest of us do, don't they? If they really didn't believe the claims they were making, and in the end, they were able to successfully curb C02 emissions, and it resulted in financial catastrophe as some have predicted, wouldn't they be slicing their own necks? I mean, I don't really get what they would have to gain here, unless they're thinking extremely short term, and that may be plausible for some, it seems unlikely that they all are.

Comment

I don't see how its really hypocrisy though. The output from a coal plant has to monstrously exceed that of a lifetime of private jet plane trips. We're talking barely a drop in a very large bucket. And if the climate advocates get their way, won't they essentially be on the same receiving end as the rest of us? They benefit from industries with large CO2 outputs that the rest of us do, don't they? If they really didn't believe the claims they were making, and in the end, they were able to successfully curb C02 emissions, and it resulted in financial catastrophe as some have predicted, wouldn't they be slicing their own necks? I mean, I don't really get what they would have to gain here, unless they're thinking extremely short term, and that may be plausible for some, it seems unlikely that they all are.
                          I think you're just not seeing the big picture. According to the EPA, transportation is the second largest source of C02, hence we all contribute to the problem. As a result, the pro-AGW elites (many of which own houses that probably produce a carbon footprint comparable to a small village) are also part of the problem, hence the hypocrisy of their alarmist warnings and disdain they hold against those that question their motives. Leading by example may not be that important to the science, but it's important politically (a factor I believe is even more important than the science itself) because they have to get the masses compliant to the necessary radical policies they would have to pass to curb the problem. Think of it like a pastor racked with sexual indiscretions trying to get his church in line by cleaning up the sin in his church. That can get pretty messy for obvious reasons. I don't know, man, that's the best way I can explain it.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                            I think you're just not seeing the big picture. According to the EPA, transportation is the second largest source of C02, hence we all contribute to the problem. As a result, the pro-AGW elites (many of which own houses that probably produce a carbon footprint comparable to a small village) are also part of the problem, hence the hypocrisy of their alarmist warnings and disdain they hold against those that question their motives. Leading by example may not be that important to the science, but it's important politically (a factor I believe is even more important than the science itself) because they have to get the masses compliant to the necessary radical policies they would have to pass to curb the problem. Think of it like a pastor racked with sexual indiscretions trying to get his church in line by cleaning up the sin in his church. That can get pretty messy for obvious reasons. I don't know, man, that's the best way I can explain it.
                            But even if the climate advocates had smaller houses, and flew coach, they'd still be part of the issue. If they totally left the grid, they'd have no voice at all (I can't see too many politicians getting around the world on bicycles or being taken seriously while living in a clay baked hut). Again, if they were successful in their endeavor to curb C02 emissions, and it resulted in the catastrophe some predict, the wealthy jet setting advocates would be the first ones to feel the crunch, wouldn't they?

I don't know. The whole argument by hypocrisy just seems really weak. Who cares how big your carbon footprint is if you're working towards a massive reduction in carbon emissions altogether. If you're successful at getting people to listen to you that humans are responsible for climate change, that carbon footprint will be removed whether you're a CO2 hog or not. If humans are not responsible for climate change, then regardless of whether or not anyone listens to you about climate change, it won't really matter if you were a hog. Either way you look at it, it's a self-correcting sin, or no sin at all.

Seems to me that the best argument against climate change is not nitpicking over what car an advocate drives, or how big their house is, but instead concentrating on the science itself.
                            Last edited by Adrift; 06-16-2015, 10:10 PM.

Comment

But even if the climate advocates had smaller houses, and flew coach, they'd still be part of the issue. If they totally left the grid, they'd have no voice at all (I can't see too many politicians getting around the world on bicycles or being taken seriously while living in a clay baked hut). Again, if they were successful in their endeavor to curb C02 emissions, and it resulted in the catastrophe some predict, the wealthy jet setting advocates would be the first ones to feel the crunch, wouldn't they?

I don't know. The whole argument by hypocrisy just seems really weak. Who cares how big your carbon footprint is if you're working towards a massive reduction in carbon emissions altogether. If you're successful at getting people to listen to you that humans are responsible for climate change, that carbon footprint will be removed whether you're a CO2 hog or not. If humans are not responsible for climate change, then regardless of whether or not anyone listens to you about climate change, it won't really matter if you were a hog. Either way you look at it, it's a self-correcting sin, or no sin at all.

Seems to me that the best argument against climate change is not nitpicking over what car an advocate drives, or how big their house is, but instead concentrating on the science itself.
                              I think therein lies the paradox. Who's willing to take the necessary and painful sacrifice to curb the problem? That's why I believe the issue cannot possibly be solved on a social and economic level even if the science is correct. If it's as dire as many have warned and time is as short as they have warned, massive changes would have to be made on an incredible level, which just cannot possibly happen. .

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                                As with this issue and others it is obvious you do not trust liberals.
                                Fixed.
                                "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment