Announcement

Collapse

Psychology 101 Guidelines

Welcome to Tweb's couch. Please join us in discussing the joys of the human psyche. Watch in wonderment as the Tweb crowd has violent mood swings. help us understand what makes us tick.

Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.
See more
See less

How Many People Here Suffer From a Psychiatric or Neurological Disorder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Many People Here Suffer From a Psychiatric or Neurological Disorder?

This is something I've been wondering about for some time, but a number of recent threads have got me wondering about the actual numbers. This thread is not in any way a trap, or an attempt to corner or condemn anyone. The poll is anonymous, and is only meant to attempt to gauge the overall psychological variation of the forum.

I don't really intend for this to be a debate thread, but discussion topics might include whether or not this forum is representative, in any way, of discussion/debate forums specifically, the internet in general, or even population groups outside of the internet.
    I have been clinically diagnosed with a psychiatric or neurological disorder.
    59.52%
    I have NOT been clinically diagnosed with a disorder, but I believe I DO suffer from a disorder.
    11.90%
    I have NOT been clinically diagnosed with a disorder, and I do NOT believe I suffer from a disorder.
    28.57%

I have Reflex Sympethetic Dystrophy, and it causes all kinds of problems. The primary ones are pain and increased sensitivity to everything(all 5 senses can be overloaded easily). I have in the past had panic attacks, and I can become paranoid easily. All of this is linked to the RSD itself, and the medications needed to treat the RSD.

ETA: My mom prefers to call it a nerve disorder since people tend to think I have a major mental handicap when she tries to explain things. I mean, I have problems with memory, but nothing like mental retardation, or more severe forms of autism.
    Last edited by Cerebrum123; 06-20-2015, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Panic attacks.

I think everybody struggles, no different than everybody gets sick.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
        I have Reflex Sympethetic Dystrophy, and it causes all kinds of problems. The primary ones are pain and increased sensitivity to everything(all 5 senses can be overloaded easily). I have in the past had panic attacks, and I can become paranoid easily. All of this is linked to the RSD itself, and the medications needed to treat the RSD.

ETA: My mom prefers to call it a nerve disorder since people tend to think I have a major mental handicap when she tries to explain things. I mean, I have problems with memory, but nothing like mental retardation, or more severe forms of autism.
        What was the cause of RSD in your case? Do you know?

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
          What was the cause of RSD in your case? Do you know?
          Yes we know. A kid purposely tripped me at my school. This caused a fractured growth plate in my left knee. Continued trauma from other events led to an increase in the affected areas, and in severity of pain.

Comment

Yes we know. A kid purposely tripped me at my school. This caused a fractured growth plate in my left knee. Continued trauma from other events led to an increase in the affected areas, and in severity of pain.
            Is the pain centralized to the leg, or has it spread to other parts of the body?

Comment

Is the pain centralized to the leg, or has it spread to other parts of the body?
              It's spread to practically my entire body. That was caused by a doctor promising a "cure". A "total lumbar sympathectomy". Basically, the practically cut me in half, and took out a huge clump of nerves. Not only was the procedure, the scar, and the recovery time all a lie, but the guy said I was "psychosomatic" when it didn't work. Fortunately for me most other people weren't so blinded by pride, including the psychiatrist he sent me to.

Comment

It's spread to practically my entire body. That was caused by a doctor promising a "cure". A "total lumbar sympathectomy". Basically, the practically cut me in half, and took out a huge clump of nerves. Not only was the procedure, the scar, and the recovery time all a lie, but the guy said I was "psychosomatic" when it didn't work. Fortunately for me most other people weren't so blinded by pride, including the psychiatrist he sent me to.
                Wow. That's terrible. I knew about your overall condition, but didn't know the details. What do you do to seek relief? What are your thoughts about natural remedies like medical marijuana for the pain or turmeric for anti-inflammation verses more synthetic chemical type treatments? Looking over the literature online, RSD doesn't appear to be something that's been studied very well. The literature that does exist seems to suggest that there is a higher rate of psychological issues associated with the condition than other chronic pain conditions, or that at least there is debate whether or not RSD is caused by "non-organic" factors.

Comment

Wow. That's terrible. I knew about your overall condition, but didn't know the details.
                  Sadly, that's the tip of the iceberg. In a way, things are a bit better recently, but that's because I can get treatments more often since my primary care doctor can give them. It sure beats driving half way across the country every 6 months.

[quote]What do you do to seek relief?

On a daily basis I have injections that help(used to be a sublingual, but that started burning my tongue). In the longer term I get trigger point injections. Now that I can get them more often, it's closer to once every 3 months.

What are your thoughts about natural remedies like medical marijuana for the pain or turmeric for anti-inflammation verses more synthetic chemical type treatments?
                  As for medical marijuana there are three problems. 1) I'm already have certain side effects, and it would make them worse. 2) The chance of getting addicted to something like that scares me. 3) It's illegal where I live.

As for natural treatments, I'm doing some of that too in the form of anti-inflammatory supplements, and a few others. Turmeric isn't one I'm on though. We have even tried a few of the "essential oils", but none of them have had any real effect when it comes to pain relief.

Looking over the literature online, RSD doesn't appear to be something that's been studied very well. The literature that does exist seems to suggest that there is a higher rate of psychological issues associated with the condition than other chronic pain conditions, or that at least there is debate whether or not RSD is caused by "non-organic" factors.
                  Very little research is being done, and this is appears mostly to be due to the fact that there isn't a real market for it like cancer or other diseases. That, and few people are diagnosed correctly. This is especially early on, which is when it matters the most.

After everything I've seen, it looks like it's a form of autoimmune disease. It also appears to have a possible genetic basis.

According to my previous doctor, who was world renown(I met people from many countries in my time there) for treating RSD, it appears to also have a psychological component for being caused in a patient. He almost never saw any football, or contact sports players get it. It was almost always because of sudden and unexpected trauma. Lightning strikes, and car accidents being some of the most common causes.

What exactly do you mean by "non-organic"?

Comment

What exactly do you mean by "non-organic"?
                    The lack of objective physical findings that suggest for some researchers that the disorder may be psychiatric/psychological. But, as I said, this seems to be very much debated.

Comment

The lack of objective physical findings that suggest for some researchers that the disorder may be psychiatric/psychological. But, as I said, this seems to be very much debated.
                      If it's psychological then it's the weirdest psychological disease on the face of the earth. Intense swelling, blood pressure*(long term, not like losing your cool) changes, temperature changes, heart rate changes, skin color abnormalities, abnormal growth and loss of hair, abnormal nail growth, eye problems, sensitivity to sunlight on skin*(both the eyes and skin), and on, and on, and on. These are just some of the things I've been through. RSD is so much more than just constant pain.

The best source for RSD info that I know is here. Dr. Hooshmand saved my life, and got me to a point where I can walk. I do use a wheelchair in public, but only when I need to rest, or for protection in very crowded places(sometimes they are unavoidable). Unfortunately, he has alzheimer's, and is no longer practicing. His website still has useful information though.

Comment

Um, back to the OP, does depression count?
                        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                          Um, back to the OP, does depression count?
                          The DSM has a listing for major depressive disorder (clinical depression), so I would say so.

Comment

Oops, next question, do past diagnoses count if they do not currently apply?
                            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post

Oops, next question, do past diagnoses count if they do not currently apply?
                              Hmm. I don't know. I'll leave that up to the individual, but I'd probably lean towards 'only if they currently apply'.

Comment