View Poll Results: How Many People Here Suffer From a Psychiatric or Neurological Disorder?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have been clinically diagnosed with a psychiatric or neurological disorder.

24 58.54%
  • I have NOT been clinically diagnosed with a disorder, but I believe I DO suffer from a disorder.

5 12.20%
  • I have NOT been clinically diagnosed with a disorder, and I do NOT believe I suffer from a disorder.

12 29.27%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How Many People Here Suffer From a Psychiatric or Neurological Disorder?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrift View Post
    The lack of objective physical findings that suggest for some researchers that the disorder may be psychiatric/psychological. But, as I said, this seems to be very much debated.
    If it's psychological then it's the weirdest psychological disease on the face of the earth. Intense swelling, blood pressure*(long term, not like losing your cool) changes, temperature changes, heart rate changes, skin color abnormalities, abnormal growth and loss of hair, abnormal nail growth, eye problems, sensitivity to sunlight on skin*(both the eyes and skin), and on, and on, and on. These are just some of the things I've been through. RSD is so much more than just constant pain.

The best source for RSD info that I know is here. Dr. Hooshmand saved my life, and got me to a point where I can walk. I do use a wheelchair in public, but only when I need to rest, or for protection in very crowded places(sometimes they are unavoidable). Unfortunately, he has alzheimer's, and is no longer practicing. His website still has useful information though.

2. Amen Adrift amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Um, back to the OP, does depression count?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Teallaura View Post
    Um, back to the OP, does depression count?
    The DSM has a listing for major depressive disorder (clinical depression), so I would say so.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Oops, next question, do past diagnoses count if they do not currently apply?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Teallaura View Post

Oops, next question, do past diagnoses count if they do not currently apply?
    Hmm. I don't know. I'll leave that up to the individual, but I'd probably lean towards 'only if they currently apply'.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    In that case, no, not at present.

8. Amen Adrift amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Ecumenical Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Ok, I am going to point out, having seen RSd (also called CRPS) its far from psychological, its a vascular, and nervous system disorder and far from well understood. anyone who calls it other than physical has likely never seen it or dealt with it personally.
    I have Fibromyalgia, caused by early onset arthritis and stage one CRPS. Its a compound of trauma to both feet (Stage 1 CRPS) a rotator cuff tear in one shoulder and some broken bone in my back that never healed right. I do have epilepsy and a psychiatric disorder. So how do I deal with this? I treat it like everything else, I eat extra healthy, quit smoking, try hard to cut back on "inflammatory foods" I diffuse therapeutic grade essential oils, I've had some surgery to remove bone spurs and shattered bones. I take a carefully titrated regimen of a couple of psychiatric medications, an epileptic medication, and a muscle relaxant. All of which have pain relief and mood control properties. Like everything, if I let my mood disorder get out of control it can put me in the hospital, and I have tried no medicine but that does not work and i always end up back in the hospital. Since I can trace mood disorders back 3 generations on each side (to great grandparents male and female) grandparents and my parents and my brothers and sisters have them and some cousins. I believe this to be genetic. My mother, her sisters and my grandmother all had early arthritis and some other problems as well,. I regularly exercise by walking slowly if need be. So far there is no magic pill, just small differences here and there.
    A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
    George Bernard Shaw

10. Amen Cerebrum123, Adrift amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Catholicity View Post
    Ok, I am going to point out, having seen RSd (also called CRPS) its far from psychological, its a vascular, and nervous system disorder and far from well understood. anyone who calls it other than physical has likely never seen it or dealt with it personally.
    I have Fibromyalgia, caused by early onset arthritis and stage one CRPS. Its a compound of trauma to both feet (Stage 1 CRPS) a rotator cuff tear in one shoulder and some broken bone in my back that never healed right. I do have epilepsy and a psychiatric disorder. So how do I deal with this? I treat it like everything else, I eat extra healthy, quit smoking, try hard to cut back on "inflammatory foods" I diffuse therapeutic grade essential oils, I've had some surgery to remove bone spurs and shattered bones. I take a carefully titrated regimen of a couple of psychiatric medications, an epileptic medication, and a muscle relaxant. All of which have pain relief and mood control properties. Like everything, if I let my mood disorder get out of control it can put me in the hospital, and I have tried no medicine but that does not work and i always end up back in the hospital. Since I can trace mood disorders back 3 generations on each side (to great grandparents male and female) grandparents and my parents and my brothers and sisters have them and some cousins. I believe this to be genetic. My mother, her sisters and my grandmother all had early arthritis and some other problems as well,. I regularly exercise by walking slowly if need be. So far there is no magic pill, just small differences here and there.
    Thank you for sharing Catholicity.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I want to thank everyone who has voted in the poll so far. It honestly gives me an appreciation for the variation that this forum consists of.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I think I will keep this one to myself due to the commonness of attitudes such as this: http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...l=1#post210145
    Do not say, “Why were the old days better than these?”
    For it is not wise to ask such questions. - Ecclesiastes 7:10