View Poll Results: How Many People Here Suffer From a Psychiatric or Neurological Disorder?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have been clinically diagnosed with a psychiatric or neurological disorder.

24 58.54%
  • I have NOT been clinically diagnosed with a disorder, but I believe I DO suffer from a disorder.

5 12.20%
  • I have NOT been clinically diagnosed with a disorder, and I do NOT believe I suffer from a disorder.

12 29.27%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: How Many People Here Suffer From a Psychiatric or Neurological Disorder?

Faith
    Deist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I used to suffer from some anxiety and OCD, but I'm mostly over that now. I don't think it was ever bad enough to lead to a clinical diagnosis, however. I've learned to manage it with relaxation techniques and some help from cognitive behavioral therapy.
    For a while I wondered if I had Asperger's, but then I met someone who actually has Asperger's, and I realized I'm just introverted and less interested in human interaction than many people.
    Last edited by stfoskey15; 07-25-2016 at 12:33 AM.
    Find my speling strange? I'm trying this out: Simplified Speling. Feel free to join me.

"Nature has placed mankind under the governance of two sovereign masters, pain and pleasure. It is for them alone to point out what we ought to do, as well as to determine what we shall do."-Jeremy Bentham

"We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question."-Orson Scott Card

2. Amen Adrift amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by hamster View Post
    Forgot to mention PTSD.
    Yes, we've all stumbled upon a post by Tassman at some point.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I've battled depression and some social anxiety since my early teens, due to a variety of not-so-pleasant experiences. All three of my brothers have more serious diagnoses: my oldest brother is usually homeless or in a hospital ward, is violent, been diagnosed with Bipolar (not accurate) then Aspergers (maybe), is extremely fearful of most people, and has a hard time making sense of a lot of things except science and computers. My youngest brother was initially diagnosed with ADHD at a young age, that switched to Tourette's Syndrome, then back to ADHD, then Asperger's, and finally with Developmental Disorder Not Otherwise Specified (DDNOS), which is basically all of the above but not quite. My other bro has been diagnosed depression, although in addition to that I think he's at least partially Asperger (struggles socially but very gifted at other things).

I was homeschooled up until grade 4 by a mother who has a reputation for being left of centre and messing with everyone's mind, and my dad was always extremely introverted. Together they both were very restrictive while also never teaching me about how to navigate the real world. When I entered public school in grade 4 I didn't stand a chance. I was also raised in a couple churches that mostly taught how terrible you are just by virtue of being born. When I graduated from high school I hardly knew what to do with myself--I'm not just referring to college, career and relationship choices, I'm also referring to how to shop for groceries and how a credit card worked, and most there street smarts that everyone else my age already knew.

The worst period was also the period I got saved. None of my brothers had the proper diagnoses or treatment, my parents had been divorced for a few years by then and my mother still wasn't over it, and she was quite ruthless towards me and my brothers most of the time, the houses we lived in were either falling apart or were always a complete mess, my mother was also having a bunch of health problems and had surgery again, I had dropped out of my first college program and failed most of my courses in my next program, and no career aspirations and no job and no employment skills, and no friends.

Worst of all, I didn't have (at least not yet) the worldview and sanity offered by the Scriptures.

You'd be depressed and anxious too. Although my life has almost completely turned around since then, I'm still a wreck without the legal maximum dosage of Wellbutrin.

And coffee.

And bacon.