Announcement

Collapse

Psychology 101 Guidelines

Welcome to Tweb's couch. Please join us in discussing the joys of the human psyche. Watch in wonderment as the Tweb crowd has violent mood swings. help us understand what makes us tick.

Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.
See more
See less

How Many People Here Suffer From a Psychiatric or Neurological Disorder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have Sleep Paralysis. Not sure if that is a Psychiatric/Neurological disorder or not. I've been dealing with it since I was 14. It sucks.
    "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

Forgot to mention PTSD. Also I have a terrible memory but I'm not sure where that comes from...
      "Some people feel guilty about their anxieties and regard them as a defect of faith but they are afflictions, not sins. Like all afflictions, they are, if we can so take them, our share in the passion of Christ." - That Guy Everyone Quotes

Comment

Originally posted by hamster View Post
        Homosexual male which is said to be more vulnerable to mental illness than normal males. Clinical depression which recently lightened up after a year of ECT, really terrible social anxiety disorder and just general anxiety. For the past few years I've been more psychologically healthy than I was for most of my life, but I'm still pretty bad. I have to work alone and at night at a job that is below my skill level, I have 0 friends off the internet, and I really only leave my room for shopping and the occasional movie.
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Forgot to mention PTSD. Also I have a terrible memory but I'm not sure where that comes from...
          Don't forget that your friends here still love you horrible though you are.
          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Diagnosed bi-polar (though hypo-manic) years ago. Haven't felt it applied for over a decade...unless faced with a major crisis...like the one I'm trying to navigate presently.
            sigpic
            "...so encourage each other and build one another up." ~1 Thessalonians 5:11

Comment

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

I have a few mental health problems depression, OCD ( I get blasphemous thoughts etc) i hear voices and i see things like angels and demons
                my mental health is so bad that i cant go out the house with out my husband for my own safety ( i have tried to kill or hurt myself before )
                am medicated and staying with my husband who is my carer
                I found Jesus and he has been helping me get better and i believe he is with me all the time

Comment

welcome serenityriver. i hope you make lots of friends here.

Comment

Thank you for sharing SerenityRiver!

Comment

Have dystil neuropathy caused by pernicious anemia, or B12 deficiency caused by malabsorption of B12. It was misdiagnosed for more than a year causing nerve damage to the fingers and bottoms of my feet. The problem is I do not absorb B12, and I have to take injections of B12.
                      Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                      Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

I used to suffer from some anxiety and OCD, but I'm mostly over that now. I don't think it was ever bad enough to lead to a clinical diagnosis, however. I've learned to manage it with relaxation techniques and some help from cognitive behavioral therapy.
                        For a while I wondered if I had Asperger's, but then I met someone who actually has Asperger's, and I realized I'm just introverted and less interested in human interaction than many people.
                        Last edited by stfoskey15; 07-24-2016, 07:33 PM.
                        Find my speling strange? I'm trying this out: Simplified Speling. Feel free to join me.

"Nature has placed mankind under the governance of two sovereign masters, pain and pleasure. It is for them alone to point out what we ought to do, as well as to determine what we shall do."-Jeremy Bentham

"We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question."-Orson Scott Card

Comment

Forgot to mention PTSD.
                          Yes, we've all stumbled upon a post by Tassman at some point.

Comment

I've battled depression and some social anxiety since my early teens, due to a variety of not-so-pleasant experiences. All three of my brothers have more serious diagnoses: my oldest brother is usually homeless or in a hospital ward, is violent, been diagnosed with Bipolar (not accurate) then Aspergers (maybe), is extremely fearful of most people, and has a hard time making sense of a lot of things except science and computers. My youngest brother was initially diagnosed with ADHD at a young age, that switched to Tourette's Syndrome, then back to ADHD, then Asperger's, and finally with Developmental Disorder Not Otherwise Specified (DDNOS), which is basically all of the above but not quite. My other bro has been diagnosed depression, although in addition to that I think he's at least partially Asperger (struggles socially but very gifted at other things).

I was homeschooled up until grade 4 by a mother who has a reputation for being left of centre and messing with everyone's mind, and my dad was always extremely introverted. Together they both were very restrictive while also never teaching me about how to navigate the real world. When I entered public school in grade 4 I didn't stand a chance. I was also raised in a couple churches that mostly taught how terrible you are just by virtue of being born. When I graduated from high school I hardly knew what to do with myself--I'm not just referring to college, career and relationship choices, I'm also referring to how to shop for groceries and how a credit card worked, and most there street smarts that everyone else my age already knew.

The worst period was also the period I got saved. None of my brothers had the proper diagnoses or treatment, my parents had been divorced for a few years by then and my mother still wasn't over it, and she was quite ruthless towards me and my brothers most of the time, the houses we lived in were either falling apart or were always a complete mess, my mother was also having a bunch of health problems and had surgery again, I had dropped out of my first college program and failed most of my courses in my next program, and no career aspirations and no job and no employment skills, and no friends.

Worst of all, I didn't have (at least not yet) the worldview and sanity offered by the Scriptures.

You'd be depressed and anxious too. Although my life has almost completely turned around since then, I'm still a wreck without the legal maximum dosage of Wellbutrin.

And coffee.

And bacon.

Comment