Announcement

Collapse

Newsdesk Guidelines

The NEWSDESK is the area for TheologyWeb news and announcements. This is not a debate area. There will be times when you won't agree with certain official announcements and commentary. If so, do not argue or dispute in this area but take it up in an appropriate area of the forum or by Private Message. Threads may only be started by TheologyWeb leadership, but responses may be posted by the entire community.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

Tweb policy on kicking people out of threads

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tweb policy on kicking people out of threads

It has always been the view here that a thread belongs to the one who started it, and that the OP had control, to a certain point, over who posted in that thread.

Generally it is best to ask a person to stay out of a thread in the opening post. However, it is also appropriate for the OP to request that someone leave a thread if that person is trolling or causing disruption.

However, since it becomes easy to start eliminating people for no good reason, it will ultimately be at the discretion of the moderators, who will be able to override the request if they feel it is being abused.

Thanks for your attention in this matter. Hopefully this will eliminate or at least lessen any confusion regarding the issue.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
      It has always been the view here that a thread belongs to the one who started it, and that the OP had control, to a certain point, over who posted in that thread.

Generally it is best to ask a person to stay out of a thread in the opening post. However, it is also appropriate for the OP to request that someone leave a thread if that person is trolling or causing disruption.

However, since it becomes easy to start eliminating people for no good reason, it will ultimately be at the discretion of the moderators, who will be able to override the request if they feel it is being abused.

Thanks for your attention in this matter. Hopefully this will eliminate or at least lessen any confusion regarding the issue.
      And what if a person whom is a moderator is asked to leave?

Comment

Originally posted by Sea of red View Post
        And what if a person whom is a moderator is asked to leave?
        Same rules apply. Again, up to the staff to make the final call. Which will not be done by the moderator in question.

Bear in mind that abuse of this is what we are trying to avoid.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Same rules apply. Again, up to the staff to make the final call. Which will not be done by the moderator in question.

Bear in mind that abuse of this is what we are trying to avoid.
          Thing is, you guys are all friends.

I think what we had was fine. If you don't like certain posters ways of debate, then ignore them and they'll eventually stop getting replies all together.

Just being honest. It's your site, obviously.

Comment

Originally posted by Sea of red View Post
            Thing is, you guys are all friends.

I think what we had was fine. If you don't like certain posters ways of debate, then ignore them and they'll eventually stop getting replies all together.

Just being honest. It's your site, obviously.
            Thing is, we haven't changed anything. This is the way it has always been, as set up by DeeDee. I am posting it clearly here because not too long ago someone who was repeatedly asked to leave a thread did not, and said something along the lines of "I didn't think that was a thing".

Yes, we are friends, but that does not get in the way of making decisions on moderation, including moderation of ourselves. You give us far too little credit. And you are certainly free to ignore users you disagree with. That is certainly an option. We are not REQUIRING anybody to ask people to not post in threads, just putting the guidelines out where they are available to the membership.

Comment

Thing is, we haven't changed anything. This is the way it has always been, as set up by DeeDee. I am posting it clearly here because not too long ago someone who was repeatedly asked to leave a thread did not, and said something along the lines of "I didn't think that was a thing".
              And he was right. Non-moderators can't actually force people out of threads. But you yelled at him for not listening to the OP anyway even though the rules (which apparently you are aware of after all) don't require members to actually obey the request until they are officially asked by a mod to leave.
              "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                And he was right. Non-moderators can't actually force people out of threads. But you yelled at him for not listening to the OP anyway even though the rules (which apparently you are aware of after all) don't require members to actually obey the request until they are officially asked by a mod to leave.
                Welcome back, Darthy. Thought you were leaving.

Where in our guidelines does it say that someone asked to leave a thread can stay until they are asked by a moderator to leave? Because I just see this:http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Please respect the wishes of the thread starter to keep a thread on topic when requested and do not post using all caps, this includes profiles and signatures. There may be times when a member may wish to start a thread in which he or she requests a restriction on who can post in the thread beyond the restrictions imposed by the parent forum. We ask that you honor such requests out of common courtesy. If such a request is not honored, the thread starter can request moderator intervention. If the mod team decides that the request is reasonable, then a notice will be placed in the thread to honor the OP's request. Any subsequent violations will be subject to moderation.
                Really, you sound like dlw, trying to tell us how to run the site.

Comment

This thread is not meant for debate.

It is meant to clarify the position set up by the original owners regarding this issue.

Comment

When did DE leave?

I missed of missed something.

Comment

He SAID he was leaving. And I think he was gone for a few days.

But he is apparently back. To tell us how to run the site.

Comment

Yes, we are friends, but that does not get in the way of making decisions on moderation, including moderation of ourselves. You give us far too little credit. And you are certainly free to ignore users you disagree with. That is certainly an option. We are not REQUIRING anybody to ask people to not post in threads, just putting the guidelines out where they are available to the membership.
                        It's not an option for everyone, which is part of why Fm93 and myself have taken to having a blanket ban on LilPixieoTerror from posting in our threads.

It's not like we can't figure out the person in your ear is.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaecp View Post
                          It's not an option for everyone, which is part of why Fm93 and myself have taken to having a blanket ban on LilPixieoTerror from posting in our threads.

It's not like we can't figure out the person in your ear is.
                          You may not be allowed to have a blanket ban on pix. That is not for you to decide.

Why are you all having so much trouble with this concept?

And I don't understand what you are saying when you say, "It's not like we can't figure out the person in your ear is."

Oh, and after you reply, I am going to close this thread. The guidelines here are NOT up for debate. Nothing has changed from the beginning of Tweb and you will just have to get over it.

Comment

Only those who are not lao tzu may post in my threads.

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
                              Only those who are not lao tzu may post in my threads.
                              So... no jerks allowed?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X