Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Lowering the Confederate Flag - and Wally World

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowering the Confederate Flag - and Wally World

I'm conflicted on this.

I'm inclined to agree that the Confederate Flag on the grounds of the South Carolina Capitol should be lowered for good. But I think this is probably (in my own situation) in sympathy to the incredibly graceful way in which the members and friends of Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church have responded to the violence visited upon them by a hateful young racist.

On the other hand, I think it's ridiculous that Walmart has made an announcement that they are pulling anything Confederate Flag related. The Confederacy is part of our History. Texas even requires a college course (for those attending college) on US History which includes a thorough treatment of the War of Northern Aggression.

"We never want to offend anyone with the products that we offer" -- how is that even possible? How is it possible to "never offend anyone"?

Anyway, POLITE discussion, please, on your opinion about symbols of the Confederacy being removed from public view.

Disclaimer - I have never felt inclined to fly - or even own - a Confederate flag, and I don't own any articles of clothing that use the Confederate flag as an element of design or... It just seems like knee-jerk reaction to remove symbols of part of our history because they offend somebody.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Pulling the confederate flag is an almost entirely symbolic gesture that allows someone to really do nothing and yet act like they did something noble.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Republicans should agree IF the OTHER symbol of slavery and racism, the Democratic Party, is also abolished. Of course Republicans are busy rushing to surrender to yet another thirsty liberal browbeating. It's hard not to agree with liberals that conservatives are in fact stupid when liberals spawn a mass murder (that was preceded by multiple smaller scale killings) and somehow come out the winners.

While on the subject, the Republican Party should change its party animal from the elephant to the Cuckoo:

About 56 of the Old World species and 3 of the New World species (pheasant, pavonine, and striped) are brood parasites, laying their eggs in the nests of other birds. These species are obligate brood parasites, meaning that they only reproduce in this fashion. In addition to the above noted species, yet others sometimes engage in non-obligate brood parasitism, laying their eggs in the nests of members of their own species in addition to raising their own young. The best-known example is the European common cuckoo. The shells of the eggs of brood-parasites are usually thick. They have two distinct layers with an outer chalky layer that is believed to provide resistance to cracking when the eggs are dropped in the host nest. The cuckoo egg hatches earlier than the host's, and the cuckoo chick grows faster; in most cases the chick evicts the eggs or young of the host species. The chick has no time to learn this behavior, so it must be an instinct passed on genetically. The chick encourages the host to keep pace with its high growth rate with its rapid begging call and the chick's open mouth which serves as a sign stimulus
      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        Pulling the confederate flag is an almost entirely symbolic gesture that allows someone to really do nothing and yet act like they did something noble.
        That's why I'm conflicted -- what does it really accomplish?
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

It's a symbol of armed rebellion against the US. People who proudly associate with it should rethink whether they want to call themselves a patriot.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
            It's a symbol of armed rebellion against the US.
            It's not as if a bunch of Southerners decided one day to have a war with the North just for kicks.

People who proudly associate with it should rethink whether they want to call themselves a patriot.
            What does "proudly associate" mean? I have some German war artifacts - I don't "proudly associate" with them, but there's no dispute that they were part of world history.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

What does "proudly associate" mean? I have some German war artifacts - I don't "proudly associate" with them, but there's no dispute that they were part of world history.
              Flying it from your house, flying it from your car, or in the case of the SC state house... flying it higher than the US flag when the US flag happens to be at half mast. This doesn't have anything to do with collecting artifacts.
              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Flying it from your house, flying it from your car, or in the case of the SC state house... flying it higher than the US flag when the US flag happens to be at half mast. This doesn't have anything to do with collecting artifacts.
                The flag wasn't on a pulley so it can't be partially lowered.
                "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

Comment

It's a symbol of armed rebellion against the North.
                  Fixed. Although considering the US's founding principles secession should not require armed rebellion in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                    The flag wasn't on a pulley so it can't be partially lowered.
                    I know, but the flag code has no exceptions written in for such cases.

I think most people know I think the US flag is an idol so I don't really care... just pointing out cognitive dissonance.

Comment

I know, but the flag code has no exceptions written in for such cases.
                      The flag code doesn't have anything to say about other solitary flags.

Comment

Here is my 2 cents. I was at a Rodeo this past weekend and I can't tell you how may tee shirts and bumper stickers I saw with the Confederate Flag on them. And this is Yankee country. So to a degree it's just young men being rebellious. But I can see how black folks might find it offensive. But where does it end? If you walked into my office right now you would see a framed picture of the "Duke" and General Lee. Does the Lee photo send a racist message? It doesn't to me, I just think he was a great general and man.
                        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

My wife just got back from Paris and she visited Napoleon's palace and apartments. Does France maintaining Napoleon's artifacts mean that they are proud of his military conquests of other sovereign nations? Or the statues of Julius Caesar in the Louvre... des France "proudly associate' with a nation who conquered and dominated them for centuries?
                          That's what
                          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                            My wife just got back from Paris and she visited Napoleon's palace and apartments. Does France maintaining Napoleon's artifacts mean that they are proud of his military conquests of other sovereign nations? Or the statues of Julius Caesar in the Louvre... des France "proudly associate' with a nation who conquered and dominated them for centuries?
                            Uh, I already explained several posts ago that I didn't mean anything like these contexts...

Comment

It's not as if a bunch of Southerners decided one day to have a war with the North just for kicks.

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                              Hmm. Would you guys also be okay with Walmart selling, say, t-shirts, bill folds, and flags with Nazi emblems on them? The red, white, and black Swastika or the SS bolt?

Comment