Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Lowering the Confederate Flag - and Wally World

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sam View Post
    Again, are "the liberals" overlooking Robert Byrd's past affiliation with the KKK? Is it not readily acknowledged and lamented?
    It was certainly ignored and overlooked when they kept making him Senate Majority Leader.

It certainly was ignored and overlooked when they made him President pro tempore (third in the line of succession to the presidency, after the Vice President and the Speaker of the House) after he was publicly using the n-word during an interview.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam View Post
      That's a looooong walk, Rogue. If the complaint against removing an actual, physical, in-his-likeness memorial to Nathan Bedford Forrest is that Robert Byrd remained a successful and influential politician half a century after disassociating from the KKK ... that's a pretty thin thread you're weaving.

Forrest was a traitor and a terrorist. That there was ever a memorial to him in the first place is shameful.
      We're not just talking about his involvement in the Klan as a kleagle (a "recruiter -- a position reserved for true believers), but also his virulent opposition to the Civil Rights Act and Voting Rights Act decades later.

And as previously mentioned his repeated use of the n-word in public during a TV interview in 2001 (and was made President pro tempore just a couple months later!).

Saying that there were others like Forrest who were worse does not mean that Byrd gets a free pass.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        I shall never fight in the armed forces with a negro by my side ... Rather I should die a thousand times, and see Old Glory trampled in the dirt never to rise again, than to see this beloved land of ours become degraded by race mongrels, a throwback to the blackest specimen from the wilds.
        —Robert C. Byrd, in a letter to Sen. Theodore Bilbo (D-MS), 1946

Byrd distanced himself later in life, but I have to wonder if it was an honest change of heart, or an extreme case of political expediency. I bet, however, there will be no attempt by the left to erase Byrd from history.
        I've always had my doubts considering just how deceitful Byrd has been with his membership in the Klan.

Byrd often said that he joined the KKK because it was effective in “promoting traditional American values.” Odd considering that the racist “values” the Klan promoted (Cross Burnings to Lynchings) were anything but American. One has to wonder if Byrd ever attended a cross burning or lynching while he was out celebrating those “traditional American values.”

In 2003, Byrd had the gall to claim that he joined the KKK not because he was a racist, but because the Klan had taken a strong stance against communism. Of course Byrd’s subsequent words and actions demonstrate his racism, but that isn’t all. Back in 1943 the Reds were a valued ally during WWII. In 1943 FDR was still calling Stalin “Uncle Joe” and cheering their advances toward Berlin. It wasn’t until the outbreak of the Cold War in 1947 (4 years after Byrd claims he left the Klan) that it was patriotic to be anti-communist.

In 1952 while running for Congress, Byrd claimed he had left the Klan in 1943 and said that during “the nine years that have followed, I have never been interested in the Klan.” Byrd was lying. A letter he wrote to a KKK Imperial Wizard 3 years after he claimed to have ended his ties with them demonstrates the falseness of Byrd’s claim. In the letter, Byrd wrote: “I am a former kleagle of the Klu Klux Klan in Raleigh County and the adjoining counties of the state. The Klan is in need today as never before and I am anxious to see its rebirth here in West Virginia.” He went on to request aid from Klan leadership in “rebuilding the Klan in the realm” of West Virginia. Yup, sounds like he has absolutely no “interest in the Klan” alright.

Later, as you've noted in an earlier post, in a letter written on the subject of desegregation of the armed forces in the 1940’s, after Byrd supposedly renounced his KKK membership, he vowed that he would never fight in the military “with a Negro by my side. Rather I should die a thousand times and see old glory trampled in the dirt never to rise again, than see this beloved land of ours become degraded by race mongrels, a throwback to the darkest specimen of the wilds.” Uh-huh.

20 years after the Democratic Senator described African-Americans as “race mongrels” he stood on the U.S. Senate floor for over 14 hours filibustering to the bitter end against the 1964 Civil Rights Act.

And, as I've repeatedly pointed out in this thread already, Byrd still felt comfortable enough using the n-word that he did so twice in public during a TV interview in 2001. One can legitimately wonder how often he used it in provate if he could use it without thinking in public.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          We're not just talking about his involvement in the Klan as a kleagle (a "recruiter -- a position reserved for true believers), but also his virulent opposition to the Civil Rights Act and Voting Rights Act decades later.

And as previously mentioned his repeated use of the n-word in public during a TV interview in 2001 (and was made President pro tempore just a couple months later!).

Saying that there were others like Forrest who were worse does not mean that Byrd gets a free pass.
          Again, who is giving Byrd a "free pass"? Who here has said that memorials to Robert Byrd should continue to exist? Who is excusing his opposition to the CRA and VRA? As far as I'm personally concerned, Byrd and Thurmond are in the same boat.

Neither, however, can be compared to Forrest. One does not excuse Hitler by claiming that, well, Patton was a bit of a jerk, too, you know.
          "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

• Byrd was give a free pass when he was made Senate Majority Leader.

Byrd was given a free pass when he was made President pro tempore.

Nobody ever demanded that he be sent to sensitivity training

Nobody ever demanded that he be censured

Nobody ever demanded that he be stripped of his leadership roles

Nobody ever demanded that he be run out of office

Comment

• Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
              Why thanks, yes, I will have another heaping helping of schadenfreude.

It's morning in America.
              I just hope I'm not sent to the reeducation camp that you work at. I suspect that you will be most cruel and wicked.
              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by Abigail View Post
                If that is in response to lao tzu's flag animation then I couldn't agree with you more.
                It is.
                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• I'm just going to say that as a southerner who supports economic and cultural growth of my region of the U.S.,* I do not see the point of flying a flag from a failed secession attempt. I feel that the values supported by the Confederacy (eg. white supremacy, very weak central government, semi-aristocratic culture) are often quite out of line with my values. I do not wish to viewed as supporting Confederate values, which I would be perceived as doing, if I were to fly the Confederate flag. I imagine southern independence would have slowed national economic growth and led to continued slavery and racism, which, in my opinion, are bad things.

At the same time, I feel others should be free to fly the Confederate flag if they so choose, as I support freedom of speech. As for flying it over government buildings, I disapprove, because the Confederacy was a rebel state that no longer exists. It would be like flying the flag of the Bavarian Soviet Republic over government buildings in Munich.

*Granted, I want economic and cultural growth for all, but sometimes it's easier to start at home.
                  Find my speling strange? I'm trying this out: Simplified Speling. Feel free to join me.

"Nature has placed mankind under the governance of two sovereign masters, pain and pleasure. It is for them alone to point out what we ought to do, as well as to determine what we shall do."-Jeremy Bentham

"We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question."-Orson Scott Card

Comment

Yes, the liberals are always anxious to overlook the sins of their own. Paula Dean, however ---- no forgiveness. (That's of course, because she said the word "butter" too many times)
                    Apples and oranges CP. It wasn't liberals overlooking the sins of R. Byrd. Byrd was a Dixiecrat from W. Virginia, aka Democrat in name only. Its not as though he had a liberal constituency, he was elected by a conservative constituency from W. Virginia. Byrds sins were never overlooked by the democratic party, the real democratic party, they were forgiven only after he recognised the fault in himself and changed his ways. That change is evident in the change in his voting patterns in the early 60's to the late 90's. Paula Dean is a completly different story, unlike an elected official she couldn't depend on a conservative electorate to keep her in business once her views were out there, and it wasn't in the interests of her employer to do so. But again your confusing the issue. The Confederate Flag is not a person that can change what it stands for, the purpose for which it was created. It doesn't matter if some choose now to rationalize the Flags meaning into something that it was not meant to be, to those whose ancestors were believed to be less than human, and treated as such, its true meaning will never be erased from their minds. The war is long over, admittedly the cause for which the south fought it was wrong, so either righteously take it down from the state houses, or time, to your shame, will do it in your stead.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                      Apples and oranges CP.
                      Don't forget the walnuts and green jello!
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I'm conflicted on this.

I'm inclined to agree that the Confederate Flag on the grounds of the South Carolina Capitol should be lowered for good. But I think this is probably (in my own situation) in sympathy to the incredibly graceful way in which the members and friends of Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church have responded to the violence visited upon them by a hateful young racist.

On the other hand, I think it's ridiculous that Walmart has made an announcement that they are pulling anything Confederate Flag related. The Confederacy is part of our History. Texas even requires a college course (for those attending college) on US History which includes a thorough treatment of the War of Northern Aggression.

"We never want to offend anyone with the products that we offer" -- how is that even possible? How is it possible to "never offend anyone"?

Anyway, POLITE discussion, please, on your opinion about symbols of the Confederacy being removed from public view.

Disclaimer - I have never felt inclined to fly - or even own - a Confederate flag, and I don't own any articles of clothing that use the Confederate flag as an element of design or... It just seems like knee-jerk reaction to remove symbols of part of our history because they offend somebody.
                        Of course it should be lowered for good, why is there event discussion about it? The history it stands for is the attempt to retain slavery, nothing more and nothing less, and its retention is an ongoing symbol of racial inequality.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                          Of course it should be lowered for good, why is there event discussion about it?
                          Ummm... because this is a DISCUSSION board?

The history it stands for is the attempt to retain slavery, nothing more and nothing less, and its retention is an ongoing symbol of racial inequality.
                          Well, then -- let's close the thread!!!!!

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                            Of course it should be lowered for good, why is there event discussion about it? The history it stands for is the attempt to retain slavery, nothing more and nothing less, and its retention is an ongoing symbol of racial inequality.
                            From this article about reactions to the flag:

Aside from the fact that it arose from indisputably bad intentions and is still used by some for such intentions, it causes genuine, deep pain to people. Those reasons are good enough for me.
                            Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

• Originally posted by fm93 View Post
                              Aside from the fact that it arose from indisputably bad intentions and is still used by some for such intentions, it causes genuine, deep pain to people. Those reasons are good enough for me.
                              So, you're taking yours down?

Comment

• Just for the record, Taz - as pointed out in the OP, I have never bought, flown, owned, borrowed, used.... a Confederate flag.

Heck, I never even had a Confederate flag belt buckle or Dukes of Hazard car!

Comment