Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

The Supreme Court And Redefining Marriage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Jesus never taught us to accept sin.

Again, even as He forgave the woman caught in adultery, His parting words were "go and sin no more".
    So you're without sin?

And if people could "go and sin no more" then we wouldn't need Jesus.

Comment

Originally posted by Sea of red View Post
      Try this again.

Why do Christians always focus on sexuality?
      Wow, you got to the "have you stopped beating your wife" question!

WAY before we ever the gay-marriage debate we had Christians groups going around talking about homosexuality and how wrong it is -- before the gays ever got organized.
      I suppose you'd have to take that up with whatever Christians it was who were primarily focused on homosexuality. I've been preaching for over 40 years, and I have RARELY addressed homosexuality from the pulpit. And I don't recall EVER preaching a sermon specifically on homosexuality.

That's great. But where are the protests? Why is it that here in America where we have so much violence we don't see Christians mass marching in the streets?
      Ummm... with regards to "protests" - would you rather I do THAT, or actually work to relieve the suffering and help those in need?

And do you REALLY think that people don't know the Church is against murder and violence? There's actually some stone tablets that address that.

I think you're barking up the wrong tree, SoR --- I'm not only a Pastor, but a former Peace Officer and a current Police Chaplain. I'm in the trenches actually DOING stuff, not just marching around "protesting".

Maybe you're stuck in the 60's.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
        Then you confirmed my suspicion. Traditional Christian beliefs on this subject have been defined as unloving and hateful, so Christians can't actually be loving without compromising what they believe.
        I don't doubt that you FEEL you're being loving, it's just not what it actually is. To the people on the other end of your statements, it doesn't feel that way.

Comment

So you're without sin?
          You're amusing. I am a sinner saved by Grace - but I don't constantly perpetuate the same sin, or choose to live in sin. But, yes, I am a sinner.

And if people could "go and sin no more" then we wouldn't need Jesus.
          Again, amusing. We're also told to "be perfect" - it's a goal. I'd FAR rather deal with somebody who was attempting to "sin no more" than somebody who decided to revel in it.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Wow, you got to the "have you stopped beating your wife" question!
            I suppose you'd have to take that up with whatever Christians it was who were primarily focused on homosexuality. I've been preaching for over 40 years, and I have RARELY addressed homosexuality from the pulpit. And I don't recall EVER preaching a sermon specifically on homosexuality.
            Fair enough. Maybe you don't, but plenty of other Christians do, and it's not just a few of them.

Ummm... with regards to "protests" - would you rather I do THAT, or actually work to relieve the suffering and help those in need?
            How about both? Show us you're consistent.:

That's all I'm saying.

Comment

You might believe you're acting lovingly but that's not what it actually is. You've been told that what you're doing is productive and loving, that's all.
              When a family tries to intervene with an alcoholic family member, it's because they love that member. The member, understandably, could believe they're "attacking him".

Comment

Why do Christians always focus on sexuality? WAY before we ever the gay-marriage debate we had Christians groups going around talking about homosexuality and how wrong it is -- before the gays ever got organized.
                WAY before we ever had the gay-marriage debate we had Christian groups going around talking about civil rights for blacks, the end of the slave trade, the plight of the poor, the care of the widow, and the taking in of abandoned children. We still talk about these things, but as CP indicated, this makes so much noise because it's headlines news. No one gives a rats behind about what Christians have done, and are continuing to do about these other issues. It's old news. The media wants to sell papers or get mouse clicks, and Christians feeding the poor in some 3rd world backwater (or even here at home) don't get mouse-clicks.

Comment

Fair enough. Maybe you don't, but plenty of other Christians do, and it's not just a few of them.
                  Perhaps you should go help them, then.

How about both? Show us you're consistent.:

That's all I'm saying.
                  "Protesting" is goofy - look at the "protests" in Baltimore and Ferguson --- and remember all the nonsense with the "occupy" movement? It makes for headlines, but accomplishes nothing.

You feel free to protest, I'll continue actually doing things that matter.

Comment

Typically painting too rosy a picture. There's the flip side, which maybe possibly earned some of the bad PR....

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                    WAY before we ever had the gay-marriage debate we had Christian groups going around talking about civil rights for blacks,
                    And opposing them or doing nothing.

the end of the slave trade,
                    And justifying the slave trade with the Bible.

the plight of the poor, the care of the widow, and the taking in of abandoned children.
                    And exacerbating poverty and plight of third-world women, demonizing birth control.

We still talk about these things, but as CP indicated, this makes so much noise because it's headlines news. No one gives a rats behind about what Christians have done, and are continuing to do about these other issues. It's old news. The media wants to sell papers or get mouse clicks, and Christians feeding the poor in some 3rd world backwater (or even here at home) don't get mouse-clicks.
                    The list of mistakes that have earned the PR goes on. You definitely shot yourself in the foot on some of these issues. You're not being any more singled out than other religious groups who've similarly behaved reprehensibly.

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
                      Typically painting too rosy a picture.
                      How did you get to be such a meanie?

Comment

How did you get to be such a meanie?
                        My mom didn't breastfeed me.

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
                          My mom didn't breastfeed me.
                          You poor fella. I think that's a capital offense these days!

Comment

The slave trade was doing just fine without people justifying it with the Bible, on the other hand, it took Christians using their Bibles to end it. Same can be said for the rest.

Comment

The slave trade was doing just fine without people justifying it with the Bible, on the other hand, it took Christians using their Bibles to end it. Same can be said for the rest.
                              But that doesn't fit the narrative of demonizing Christianity.

Comment

But that doesn't fit the narrative of demonizing Christianity.
                                Of course not!

Comment