Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Darwin's Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mostly, we have Darwin Day because of the pleasing alliteration.

Comment

Originally posted by HMS_Beagle View Post
      That's good Jorge, let the jealousy and bitterness flow out.

Darwin is honored because of his great insight into the workings of the natural world. That his verified scientific findings run counter to your narrow-minded literal Genesis beliefs isn't science's problem.
      It is nevertheless true that far greater scientists than Darwin do not have a special day dedicated to them. It does appear that atheism is the real force behind the Darwin Day celebration.
      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
        It is nevertheless true that far greater scientists than Darwin do not have a special day dedicated to them. It does appear that atheism is the real force behind the Darwin Day celebration.
        You seem to be implicitly assuming that anything not promoting religion, must be promoting atheism. The actual science doesn't seem to enter into the picture for you.

In any case, Darwin Day is kind of like National Balloon Day - minor, arbitrary and irrelevant. I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that there really IS an Einstein Day. Any celebration is in recognition of the importance of the scientific contributions.

Comment

Only possible conclusion. Well done.
          I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Along these lines, I was delighted to discover National Science Day:

http://www.ask.com/wiki/National_Science_Day

This is celebrated on February 28, in India, to commemorate the discovery of the Raman effect by Indian physicist Sir Chandrasekhara Venkata Raman.

Comment

Originally posted by Jorge View Post
              Huh?

As time goes by you're become more detached from reality, rwatts -- seek help, please.

Jorge
              Well given how you behaved when I critiqued that paper you participated in, re multi-codes with the genome, you can hardly point the "non scholarly reply" finger at me, right Jorge?

I do have a copy of my posts on hand, would you like me to repost them?

Comment

Name a scientist whose work has had a more far reaching and long lasting influence on the modern sciences that Charles Darwin. There have certainly been lots of brilliant scientific minds in the last two centuries but no single idea in science has had as much of a profound effect as Darwin's. That's why he is feted. It has nothing to do with religion or atheism.

Are you jealous like Jorge because we don't have any days dedicated to Creationist "scientists"? Maybe we can have April 15th renamed to National Kent Hovind Pay Your Taxes day.

Comment

I suspect that the actual force behind Darwin Day is the need by Universities to overcome the misunderstandings and knowledge gaps caused by the distortion and omission of evolution in creationist-favouring US schools. Ironic.

Roy
                  Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                  MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

It should be noted that International Darwin Day is not an official state sponsored holiday anywhere. It was a grass roots effort begun by two scientists back in 1993 that has since spread throughout the entire worldwide scientific community. It is supported by both secular and religious organizations including The Biologos Foundation.

Nothing is stopping anyone from organizing a similar effort for any other scientist they feel deserves recognition, or for any Creationist pseudoscientist either. As per usual with the Creationist community, bellyaching about science is greatly preferred over doing any actual work.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                      I suspect that the actual force behind Darwin Day is the need by Universities to overcome the misunderstandings and knowledge gaps caused by the distortion and omission of evolution in creationist-favouring US schools. Ironic.

Roy
                      There's certainly no other scientist as regularly demonized. But it should be noted that in the U.S., certainly, and likely enough everywhere Christians are in the majority, most evolutionists are Christian. When Christians identify evolution with atheism, they're eating their own.

As ever, Jesse

Comment

I like Darwin and don't mind having a day in his name.
                        "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
                          When Christians identify evolution with atheism, they're eating their own.
                          Too many Christians think differently from each other and argue incessantly about it. We should be more like freethinkers and agree on everything.
                          "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Is it wrong that I keep on reading the title of this thread as Durin's Day?
                            Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                            1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                            -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
                              Is it wrong that I keep on reading the title of this thread as Durin's Day?
                              Reading-Glasses.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Jorge View Post
                                Why is there a "Darwin Day"? Ever wonder about that one?

Some would say, "Obviously because Darwin was a great scientist!"

Really?

So why isn't there a Newton Day? Or an Einstein Day? As a scientist, Darwin could neither polish nor carry the shoes of a great many scientists before and after his day.

Here are a few of my thoughts on the matter (inspired by a friend's comments):

In my humble opinion it all goes back to Dawkins' infamous remark that "Darwin made it possible to be an intellectually fulfilled Atheist."

As a "scientist", Darwin and Darwin alone has attained the rank of Secular Saint. By rendering unnecessary the pillars of support for a Ultimate Designer (i.e., God), Darwin became established as THE man who eliminated God from biology.
                                Because Dawkins says so Always knew you agreed with him far more than you let on. You gleefully jumped into bed with him when he said that theistic evolutionists are "deluded."

In any case the same argument could have been made about Newton (and apparently was). When Newton published his Laws of Gravity they were condemned as being anti-God and promoting atheism in some quarters. They were considered “evil” by some pious Christians because it took from God the direct action on His works so constantly ascribed to Him in Scripture – like “hanging” the earth and “guiding” the sun, moon and stars – and exchanged the truth of God’s direct action on His works for the “lie” of mere material mechanism.

IOW, they accused Newton of substituting Gravity for God and astronomers were cautioned that they should look to the Bible and not the “Principia” before they aim their telescopes

In 1724 John Hutchinson, professor at Cambridge, published his "Moses' Principia," a system of philosophy in which he sought to build up a complete physical system of the universe from the Bible. In this he assaulted the Newtonian theory as "atheistic," and led the way for similar attacks by such Church teachers as (a Vice-Chancellor of Oxford), Duncan Forbes (Lord President of the Scottish Sessions), and William Jones of Nayland ("who systematically picked apart Newton's concept of gravitational attraction in order to uphold his own insistence that such power could be exerted only by God"). In 1796, the Gentleman's Magazine noted that "Hutchinsonianism" (which claimed that Newton had reduced God to matter and rendered revelation superfluous) was "hourly gaining ground."

In Germany Gottfried Wilhelm von Leibniz attacked the Newtonian theory of gravitation on theological grounds, though he found some little consolation in thinking that it might be used to support the Lutheran doctrine of consubstantiation (and I wonder if some of his opposition was fueled by their fight over who came up with calculus).

The eminent Puritan theologian John Owens declared that Newton’s discoveries are, “built on fallible phenomena and advanced by many arbitrary presumptions against evident testimonies of Scripture.” And John Wesley also expressed a distrust of Newton’s demonstrations.

Newton himself was concerned that his laws of motion would be used to devise anti-Scriptural theories concerning the origin of the Earth and Solar System – which is precisely what William Whiston, who succeeded Newton in the Lucasian chair at Cambridge, and others would do.

Supposedly Pierre-Simon de Laplace (mathematician and astronomer whose work was crucial to the development of mathematical astronomy and statistics though best known for his investigations into the stability of the solar system) while explaining Newton’s theory concerning the origin of the Solar System to Napoleon (a former pupil, and before he became Emperor) was asked by Napoleon about the role of God and replied, “Je n'avais pas besoin de cette hypothèse-là" ("I have no need for that hypothesis"). Even if this quote is apocryphal in nature it still betrays an attitude or at the very least a fear that it led to atheism.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment