Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Darwin's Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HMS_Beagle View Post
    That's good Jorge, let the jealousy and bitterness flow out.

Darwin is honored because of his great insight into the workings of the natural world.
    But it is a good point that if that's the case then why don't we don't have a Newton Day or Einstein Day.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      But it is a good point that if that's the case then why don't we don't have a Newton Day or Einstein Day.
      AFAIK it's because no one has pushed for them to have one.

Comment

Einsteins' birthday IS celebrated at Princeton.

Comment

Originally posted by phank View Post
          Einsteins' birthday IS celebrated at Princeton.
          In a combined celebration with "Pi Day"

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

In a combined celebration with "Pi Day"
            Which is much more important.
            I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
              Which is much more important.
              By at least 3.14159%

Comment

By at least 3.14159%
                Unless you believe in a literal and inerrant Bible. Then it's 3.000%

Comment

I love a good zinger!

Comment

IIRC, the purpose of this forum is supposedly to discuss science, e.g., the science of the history of Earth, the Solar System, and the Universe. Chuck Darwin contributed greatly to biological science. If the UK wants to have a special day for him, so be it. And I re-reiterate that whatever kind of human being Darwin was (and he was a very good one!), the results of his investigations revolutionized biology. They didn't "prove" atheism anymore than Kepler's or Newton's did. If certain atheists what to use his work to bolster their philosophy, so be it.

So, it's ok for us to yimmer-yammer about whether there should be a Darwin Day or a Newton Day or a Marconi Day or a George McCready Price Day. It doesn't make a jot or tittle's worth of difference to the quality, or lack of the same, of their scientific work. Using Darwin-bashing as an argument against biological evolution could fill a chapter in a dissertation on logical fallacies.

Also wiederhole ich, "Big Deal".

Comment

I've always felt that could be explained by the diameter of the basin being measured on the inside whereas the circumference being measured along the outside. Or the number could have just been rounded off.

Comment

I've always felt that could be explained by the diameter of the basin being measured on the inside whereas the circumference being measured along the outside. Or the number could have just been rounded off.
                        Yeah, that's the ticket! If the number were rounded off, it would make a kinda funny circle if the specified major axis is as written.

What's great about literalism is that one can always fangle the text so it works.

Comment

Way to hose up a good joke by overanalysis.

Comment

No. Just no. You could figure it's wrong merely from its origins with apologists. Those who begin with their wanted conclusion will only by accident get their arguments right. Why would anyone measure the diameter and circumference differently? Ad hoc, and stir. More, the passage speaks of a basin "rounded all about," not "perfectly round." For that reason alone, there's no reason to drag pi into the discussion. We've no reason to believe the "sea" was even circular. Rounded edges do not a circle prove.

Even more fundamentally, pi does not exist in the real world. It exists only on a Euclidean plane, which cannot exist anywhere in our universe. Even the most minute speck of matter warps space enough to prevent any surface from being truly flat.

More, we know the actual value of pi.

pi = 4 (1 - 1/3 + 1/5 - 1/7 + 1/9 - 1/11 + ...)

That's not approximate. That's exact. A thousand, million, billion, trillion, quadrillion ... decimal places worth of exact digits. We can do that in mathematics. We can have exact answers. Because we're not constrained by any features of the real world. But in the real world, there was this fellow named Heisenberg, famous for a lot of things, but especially for showing us that exact answers cannot exist in reality. Of this uncertainty we can be certain.

So take your grubby paws out of our circles, or I'll summon up Archimedes ghost to haunt you throughout eternity.

As ever, Jesse

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
                              No. Just no. You could figure it's wrong merely from its origins with apologists. Those who begin with their wanted conclusion will only by accident get their arguments right. Why would anyone measure the diameter and circumference differently? Ad hoc, and stir. More, the passage speaks of a basin "rounded all about," not "perfectly round." For that reason alone, there's no reason to drag pi into the discussion. We've no reason to believe the "sea" was even circular. Rounded edges do not a circle prove.

Even more fundamentally, pi does not exist in the real world. It exists only on a Euclidean plane, which cannot exist anywhere in our universe. Even the most minute speck of matter warps space enough to prevent any surface from being truly flat.

More, we know the actual value of pi.

pi = 4 (1 - 1/3 + 1/5 - 1/7 + 1/9 - 1/11 + ...)

That's not approximate. That's exact. A thousand, million, billion, trillion, quadrillion ... decimal places worth of exact digits. We can do that in mathematics. We can have exact answers. Because we're not constrained by any features of the real world. But in the real world, there was this fellow named Heisenberg, famous for a lot of things, but especially for showing us that exact answers cannot exist in reality. Of this uncertainty we can be certain.

So take your grubby paws out of our circles, or I'll summon up Archimedes ghost to haunt you throughout eternity.

As ever, Jesse
                              As if we ever needed more evidence that mathematicians were of the devil
                              • “The good Christian should beware of mathematicians and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and confine man in the bonds of hell.” --St. Augustine, De Genesi ad Litteram
                              • “Geometry is of the devil” --Dominican Father Tommaso Caccini (d. 1648)
                              • “Mathematics should be banished as the authors of all heresies.” --ibid

Comment

Name a scientist whose work has had a more far reaching and long lasting influence on the modern sciences that Charles Darwin. There have certainly been lots of brilliant scientific minds in the last two centuries but no single idea in science has had as much of a profound effect as Darwin's.
                                Isaac Newton
                                Albert Einstein
                                Neils Bohr
                                Louis Pasteur
                                Werner Heisenberg
                                Max Planck

All have had far reaching impact on modern science, at least equal to Darwin.

That's why he is feted. It has nothing to do with religion or atheism.
                                That is why Darwin Day is supported by:The Council for Secular Humanism
                                The Freedom from Religion Foundation
                                The Humanist Association of Canada
                                The American Humanist Association
                                The British Humanist Association
                                The Campus Freethought Alliance
                                The Alliance for Secular Humanist Societies
                                The International Humanist and Ethical Union
                                The International Darwin Day Foundation
                                The American Humanist Association

Are you jealous like Jorge because we don't have any days dedicated to Creationist "scientists"? Maybe we can have April 15th renamed to National Kent Hovind Pay Your Taxes day.
                                Since I am not a fan of YE Creationism your foolish smear does not relate to me. I don't usually agree with Jorge, and I don't agree with his whole post. It is nevertheless true that while Darwin has had an impact on science, that impact is highly exaggerated. And atheism is the major force behind the celebration.

I am not aware of any major (or even minor) celebration aimed at any of the other more important scientists of history. The lack of government support is irrelevant.
                                Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment