Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Will Biden Run?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Can't remember who it was that pointed out that generally the other nations like us best when we're hurting -- like right after 9/11 -- and don't like us when we're strong.
    oooh, way to spin what you don't like to hear rogue. Somebody pointed that out for you did they? Did they mention which nations they were talking about? Who was it said that pray tell? Bill O'rielly maybe, Sean Hannity, or maybe Rush Limbaugh. "Other nations" probably wouldn't even let G W Bush set foot on their soil.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
      Thank you. And if Republican run states would stop screwing their own people and trying to gum up the works, the savings would no doubt be even greater.
      Yup; Medicaid expansion states have saved tens of millions to hundreds of millions of dollars, in addition to driving uninsured rates way down:

"I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Originally posted by Jude View Post
        I think that many are tired of hearing about one party or the other and are concerned more with charting a new course that reestablishes America as a strong and secure country. Call them whatever you want. It's 17 months until election. I wouldn't put too much stock in current polls. A lot can and will happen between now and then.
        Jude, stop embarassing yourself. Trump is an embarassment to the republican party, and thats not an easy thing to be. He should fire himself before he takes the whole republican party down with him.

Comment

Jude, stop embarassing yourself. Trump is an embarassment to the republican party, and thats not an easy thing to be. He should fire himself before he takes the whole republican party down with him.
          Let him stay, then

Comment

Be careful now, that might be to much of a shock for MM to take, should he actually look at it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaecp View Post
              Let him stay, then
              Yes, I actually agree Jaecp. I can't wait to watch the show.

Comment

Do you disagree with me often?

Comment

Originally posted by Jude View Post
                  I'm not content with our current southern border situation and economy/employment rate. I'm not satisfied with our strategy vs. Isis. Would it be your opinion that the USA's reputation in the world has risen or declined in this century? Home and abroad I sense that we are flying by the seat of our pants and I want to hear concrete plans for a way forward. Speaking for myself only, I do not trust some of our current leaders. Our political differences aside, it is honesty, integrity, and fair dealing with the American people that I question. Their speech seems dodgy to me. Maybe I am wrong but I think that is Trump's main attraction to voters. He does not mince words.
                  The Southern Border is fine, the people coming over are a benefit to our economy since (spoiler) they tend to do the really terrible jobs that don't pay well, they still pay taxes on purchased good and even on their paychecks sometimes while being unable to access a lot of the stuff that taxes pay for because they are undocumented. In all kinds of ways, the people who are risking life and limb to get to the US illegally are a boon to our economy.

The unemployment rate just hit the lowest it's been since the 2008 financial crash, and it's below the historical average. If you look at the unemployment data for the past 20 years or so you'll see that the unemployment rate generally hovers between 4-6%, so whats the problem? There are plenty of problems, but the unemployment rate at 5.3% is not something you can just rattle off.

You're not satisfied with our strategy vs Isis? Thats... nice? Got anything concrete?

Our reputation in the world has risen post-bush, absolutely. We are not flying by the seat of our pants. Thats... that's not a thing with something this big. Concrete plans to move forward are being proposed, #Berie2016

Trust, as used by most people to refer to political leaders, I don't understand. The crisis's of this administration have been minor, blown out of proportion, and been largely a matter of partisanship political maneuvering at the expense of the average citizen leading up to absolute nonsense like the government shutdown and taken routine bills to use as hostages because Republicans are having more and more problem winning federal level office, let alone the Presidency.

Trump is a non-factor, the dude is imploding and is absolutely unqualified to be the president.

Comment

The Southern Border is fine
                    When were you there? Which regions did you visit? Which border Sheriffs did you meet with?
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

The Southern Border is fine,.
                      No it is not. I helped build the wall south of San Diego and the border patrol agents that I worked with were quite adamant that they were fighting a war they were woefully unequipped to fight. Here are some pics of the wall, of me, and of one way the illegals were beating the wall using rebar they stole from the construction sites.

IMAG0002.JPG IMAG0007.JPG IMAG0013.JPG IMAG0015.JPG
                      Last edited by Bill the Cat; 07-03-2015, 08:35 AM.
                      That's what
                      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Trump is a non-factor...
                        It would be interesting to see him take his non-factor economic impact from the state of New York and invest it in another state.
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Healthcare, just like everything else, is always more expensive than before. But the fact of the matter is that the rate of increase in healthcare cost is slower than in decades.
                          Because the costs are being passed to the member (or the middle class taxpayers for those with subsidies).

Source: http://money.cnn.com/2015/02/12/news/economy/obamacare-costs/

Obamacare enrollees have to shell out a lot more to see the doctor or get medications than their peers with job-based health insurance.

Deductibles, co-payments, and drug payments are higher under the average Obamacare silver-level plans -- the most popular -- than employer policies, according to a CNNMoney comparison of reports by Kaiser Family Foundation and Health Research & Education Trust. The reports looked at policies offered on the exchanges for 2015 and those enrolled in employer plans in 2014.

High deductibles have been a sore point with some Obamacare enrollees. They have complained that they have to shell out thousands of dollars, on top of their monthly premium, before their insurance kicks in. Employers have also been raising deductibles, but they are generally lower than in many Obamacare plans.

© Copyright Original Source

That's what
                          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                            He's not even right on the plain merits. The employee portion of covering a family of four with employer-based coverage in 2014 was $9695, according to Kaiser. In 2015, a family of four earning $60,000/year seeking coverage on the non-group exchanges would have to pay ~$9625 for a silver-level plan. With subsidies, however, that amount falls to $4888. So people seeking coverage on the exchanges are often paying substantially less than they would have paid before the ACA, assuming they weren't gambling on "catastrophic coverage".

But True-blooded Conservatives will never accept the ACA's substantial success. They'll end up using it, sure enough, and even end up relying on its existence. But accept it? Nope.
                            All I need to say is in this graph:

150211103039-obamacare-deductible-780x439.jpg

Source: http://money.cnn.com/2015/02/12/news...amacare-costs/
                            That's what
                            - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                              No it is not. I helped build the wall south of San Diego and the border patrol agents that I worked with were quite adamant that they were fighting a war they were woefully unequipped to fight. Here are some pics of the wall, of me, and of one way the illegals were beating the wall using rebar they stole from the construction sites.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7785[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]7786[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]7787[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]7788[/ATTACH]
                              This doesn't address what I said. I said the border was fine. I could care less about the physical integrity of a barricade

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                                All I need to say is in this graph:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7789[/ATTACH]

Source: http://money.cnn.com/2015/02/12/news...amacare-costs/

So ... let's put these two posts together:

Annual premiums on the individual market for a family of four earning $60k/year are ~$4888, whereas the employee contribution would be ~$9695. Assuming the family maxes out its deductible every year:

Individual Market: $4888 (premium) + $3453 (deducible) = $8341/year

Employer Market: $9695 (premium) + $1217 (deductible) = $10912/year

And participants in the individual market have choices regarding their deductible; higher premiums mean lower deductibles and vice versa.

Finally, every single healthcare reform "proposal" advanced by the GOP or Conservative wonks has involved high-deductible plans as its foundation.
                                "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment