Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

SSM Coming From a Bisexual Christian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was exposed to the new gay tolerance in the 80s (though it was still taboo. Conservative promoted the idea that AIDS was God's judgment). I also had a few gay friends in high school. IOW, I encountered the main factor that you say causes sexual confusion. Guess what? I didn't feel up any guys and parties. The thought of doing that would actually nauseate me.

The confusion of which you speak needs a basis. The mere removal of the taboo does not make a heterosexual woman suddenly want to make out with females or persist as a lesbian into adulthood.

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
      If you know anything about bisexual expression prior to the 70s (I'm presuming that's when he thinks the celebration started), then he and you know that's dead wrong. Sexual "confusion"--being strongly physically attracted to the same gender--isn't caused by outside celebratory peer pressure but long preceded anything remotely resembling public acceptance. It was quite a different environment in the 50s. Homosexuality was not celebrated but also a huge taboo.
      Homosexuality may not have been celebrated in wider society but those who were into it would have sought out others who were also into it and would have been attentive to other people who might have been up for it too. Do you really think when homosexual sex was against the law people did not have homosexual sex? It is the same with fornication is the 70's and 80's in conservative communities. It was frowned upon but people did it and high school children are always susceptible to what they see portrayed in the media. Kids experiment and other kids often feel pressurised into doing the same. As is often pointed out in the media nowadays, it is mainly the younger generations who are wanting other sexual tastes to be included in mainstream. The pressure is there.

We keep hearing that no one can be changed from their sexual preference. I don't think anyone can say definitively if this is true or not (yet apparently they are wanting to ban people from even being able to try change themselves, which if this is true, is an outrageous assault on the person's freedom). I am also not convinced that additional sexual tastes cannot be cultivated. In any case with the amount of emotional baggage most people seem to carry around nowadays, I think people often get into relationships for the wrong reasons because they are in some way needy and I don't doubt this could extend to gay relationships. It is irrelevant to me whether a person is gay or bisexual because I believe that another identity - Christian - is more important than that and can override it, and that is why I believe it is important that the Christian voice is heard for those who will receive it.
      Last edited by Abigail; 07-06-2015, 11:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
        You knew the context. Stop playing stupid.

Yes. You've repeated that sentiment about three or four times now. We got it.
        I read it in context and it's still wrong. Don't make Dobson-ish statements anymore.

Comment

Ok folks stop feeding the Troll. if someone after being told what another person meant still insists on saying hte perosn meant something completely different proves he's a troll and does not need any feeding.

Comment

Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post
            Ok folks stop feeding the Troll. if someone after being told what another person meant still insists on saying hte perosn meant something completely different proves he's a troll and does not need any feeding.
            Call it trolling all you like. Adrift said some bizarre things about his experience that don't reflect common experience. It's not at all common to be sexually confused (feel emotionally connected/sexually attracted to the same sex) and have that confusion persist into adulthood merely because of peer pressure. He's putting a weird amount of emphasis on society almost making him fully bisexual/gay had he not prayed those feelings away. Sorry, but that's just not how it typically works. If society's influence exacerbated his attraction to make him fully bisexual or gay, then he's much more susceptible to external influence than most who'd have realized throughout the course of their sexual development that they're not actually bisexual.

Comment

Moderated By: CP

Let's tone it down a WHOLE BUNCH. This is a particularly sensitive topic, and doesn't need the hostility.

Thanks

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
              Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post
                I would be interested in knowing these "absurd and horrible" things.....
                There were non in her post. That was Starlight lying. ETA: As evidence of this we have what she actually posted. Lest anyone see me as making an unjustified accusation of lying.
                Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                  There were non in her post. That was Starlight lying. ETA: As evidence of this we have what she actually posted. Lest anyone see me as making an unjustified accusation of lying.
                  Unless he is calling good evil and evil good again. We're talking about the guy that thinks infanticide should be legal. And he thinks that calling homosexuality a sin is bad. He clearly has a messed up moral compass and we should ignore him.
                  If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post
                    I would be interested in knowing these "absurd and horrible" things.....
                    Her line in the OP that said "Homosexuality? That's not love! That comes straight from the pit of hell" initially seemed to imply that gay folks cannot have genuine love for other gay folks, which would indeed be absurd and horrible. That's why I asked her if she could please clarify those words--because I was hoping that she wasn't saying what she seemed to be saying. As it turned out, she said she meant that the eros form of same-sex love was the only kind she was referring to.

Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post
                    I completely agree, but--and this is a genuine question--is there any reason you don't also publicly call out members like Sparko, Jesse (not lao tzu, but the person with that username) and lilpixieofterror when they engage in such behavior?
                    Last edited by fm93; 07-06-2015, 08:01 PM.
                    Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

Originally posted by fm93 View Post
                      Her line in the OP that said "Homosexuality? That's not love! That comes straight from the pit of hell" initially seemed to imply that gay folks cannot have genuine love for other gay folks, which would indeed be absurd and horrible. That's why I asked her if she could please clarify those words--because I was hoping that she wasn't saying what she seemed to be saying. As it turned out, she said she meant that the eros form of same-sex love was the only kind she was referring to.

I completely agree, but--and this is a genuine question--is there any reason you don't also publicly call out members like Sparko, Jesse (not lao tzu, but the person with that username) and lilpixieofterror when they engage in such behavior?
                      People call out those folks often. What do you mean, "is there any reason you don't also publicly call out . . . ?
                      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                        People call out those folks often. What do you mean, "is there any reason you don't also publicly call out . . . ?
                        When those members attack a strawman of an argument I make or accuse me of being "condescending" or whatever, and I clarify what I meant and explain that I was not trying to come across as such, and they respond by insisting that I *did* mean their strawman interpretation and *was* trying to be mean. I have never seen a moderator call them out on such behavior the way RumTum did to whag.
                        Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

When those members attack a strawman of an argument I make or accuse me of being "condescending" or whatever, and I clarify what I meant and explain that I was not trying to come across as such, and they respond by insisting that I *did* mean their strawman interpretation and *was* trying to be mean. I have never seen a moderator call them out on such behavior the way RumTum did to whag.
                          Moderators can post as members. Only if you see an official notice in a post was it moderated as staff. Like I did Firstfloor.

Comment

And us moderators beat each other up behind the scenes. It's not good for the kids to see mommy and daddy fighting.
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment