Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

SSM Coming From a Bisexual Christian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by whag View Post
    Maybe it's time to make this forum Christian exclusive. It doesn't really make sense any other way given the subject matter.
    No need for that. Tact goes a long way however.
    "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

Originally posted by toodlesdoodles View Post
      Was I a "hater of God" when I had those feelings for women despite being a Christian? Let's take it a step further, am I today a "hater of God" when I still have feelings for women despite being a Christian? When you sin you are saying you hate God. That's why the penalty of sin was so severe, to the point where Christ had to die on a cross for us. So yes, when I sin in any form, I am saying I hate God.

Homosexuality is in this same category. Yes, I was tempted to abuse myself with mankind when these urges emerged. It's abusing your body when you act it out and I came very close at times to acting them out with other women.

I'm not saying homosexuals are incapable of genuinely giving and experiencing love with others. Love is such a funny word really. We use that word to mean so many things. We say "I love you" to our significant other and then we turn around and say, "I love tacos?" It's insane! The Greeks had four different types of love. You have storge, which was family love, philia, which was friendship, eros, which was where we get the word erotic, and agape, which is the kind of love God gives. Homosexuality is the same kind of sin as someone who would be having an affair. You could have the friendship or philia love. You could have the family or storge love. You could have the erotic or eros love. But the question isn't if they can love someone, the question is if it's right in God's eyes and the answer is no. It's horrific in his eyes! That's why we have to not act out on those sinful desires. If that means you have to be celibate then so be it. When I was at my highest point and headed towards being more of a lesbian than a bisexual (which was after I was married), I considered I might have to be celibate which would have to be unfortunate for my husband but it was something I was considering because I was not going to dishonor God because of my urges.
      Okay. Thank you for clarifying what you meant. Personally, I'm not convinced that some of your interpretations are what Paul had mind, and I was curious how you personally would answer them. But apparently I can do no good in the eyes of this site's commentariat, so I'll just leave it at that and let them continue to flog me. God bless you in your journey and your marriage.
      Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

Originally posted by Abigail View Post
        Most of your comments including the ones I answered.

Do you, perchance, think I want to be "mean-spirited" towards others? I assure you that I absolutely do not--I loathe mean-spiritedness, and if I inadvertently led someone to interpret something I said that way, I would literally be the first one to apologize and change it. But I can't do that if no one points to specifically what they have a problem with. Could you please point to the specific quotes?

I wasn't reading your mind. I was reading your post and that is how it seemed to me. Evidently I wasn't the only one who thought it lacking.
        Well, the statement "You are just upset because she is not prepared to embrace the culture you want" is untrue.

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
        After seeing how this whole thing has been dealt with, by ff. Starlight and FM93, I must say I will not ever discuss any personal matters in public forums. Kudos to toodlesdoodles for her dealing with it.
        It's forbidden to ask someone to clarify what she meant by a few points in her personal story?
        Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

Comment

I thought you were leaving fm93.
          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by toodlesdoodles View Post
            Was I a "hater of God" when I had those feelings for women despite being a Christian? Let's take it a step further, am I today a "hater of God" when I still have feelings for women despite being a Christian? When you sin you are saying you hate God. That's why the penalty of sin was so severe, to the point where Christ had to die on a cross for us. So yes, when I sin in any form, I am saying I hate God. Homosexuality is in this same category. Yes, I was tempted to abuse myself with mankind when these urges emerged. It's abusing your body when you act it out and I came very close at times to acting them out with other women. I'm not saying homosexuals are incapable of genuinely giving and experiencing love with others. Love is such a funny word really. We use that word to mean so many things. We say "I love you" to our significant other and then we turn around and say, "I love tacos?" It's insane! The Greeks had four different types of love. You have storge, which was family love, philia, which was friendship, eros, which was where we get the word erotic, and agape, which is the kind of love God gives. Homosexuality is the same kind of sin as someone who would be having an affair. You could have the friendship or philia love. You could have the family or storge love. You could have the erotic or eros love. But the question isn't if they can love someone, the question is if it's right in God's eyes and the answer is no. It's horrific in his eyes! That's why we have to not act out on those sinful desires. If that means you have to be celibate then so be it. When I was at my highest point and headed towards being more of a lesbian than a bisexual (which was after I was married), I considered I might have to be celibate which would have to be unfortunate for my husband but it was something I was considering because I was not going to dishonor God because of my urges.
            I don't think experiencing a temptation is a sin. Christ was tempted. He did not sin but he was tempted. However, it is our actions that determine our sinfulness.
            A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
            George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
              I don't think experiencing a temptation is a sin. Christ was tempted. He did not sin but he was tempted. However, it is our actions that determine our sinfulness.
              It is our actions that exhibit our sins. We are a sinful people saved only by grace through faith. You are absolutely correct in saying temptation is not sin.
              Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by fm93 View Post

Do you, perchance, think I want to be "mean-spirited" towards others? I assure you that I absolutely do not--I loathe mean-spiritedness, and if I inadvertently led someone to interpret something I said that way, I would literally be the first one to apologize and change it. But I can't do that if no one points to specifically what they have a problem with. Could you please point to the specific quotes?
                Your post seemed unnecessarily aggressive. For instance the parallels drawn between how Allie was treated by her parents and how others have been treated by theirs just seemed hostile in light of the fact she had already intimated in her post that she felt fortunate because of her own treatment. No one got to know your intentions in making this parallel since it was just dropped and left. I know lately when Elton John was angry with D&G for saying they didn't approve of IVF a lot of pro-gay opinion seemed to be that D&G's opinions should come second to gay persecution. In other words while there are gays being persecuted they should shut up. The second parallel you dropped made me wonder if you weren't intimating something similar. Shutting up stories of good treatment or people who have differing opinion surely can't be a good solution. In fact if anything it reinforces the belief that it is ok to persecute those we don't agree with.

It is unfortunate when the relationship between parents and a child breaks down to such an extent that the parent kicks a child out, but as I pointed out this happened more in the past and for a lot more reasons then homosexuality. Why risk losing the input you could have in your child's life. It doesn't make sense. Further children too cut themselves off from their family and there are homosexuals who demand full acceptance or no contact, so the parents don't even have the option to say 'your choice to live your life and I still want to be involved in your life but I still believe it is wrong'. A child from a situation like that will go away and say 'I am estranged from my family because they wouldn't accept me as a homosexual', and people will side with the child when in actual fact the parents have done nothing wrong. The victim culture we live in today encourages people to be victims. It is actually worth a lot of money.

As for the school Allie went to, I am not sure how old you are or how old Allie is but nowadays there seems to be a definite effort to encourage kids to experiment and try all sorts of relationships because 'you have to try so that you can know what makes you happy' or so the busybody thinking goes, completely ignoring the thinking that a greater and more abiding happiness might be found through other behaviour or even the thinking that multiple sexual partners has been shown not to bring happiness.

Originally posted by fm93
                Well, the statement "You are just upset because she is not prepared to embrace the culture you want" is untrue.
                I was just reflecting you how you came across in your post. You last sentence where you were asking if Allie thought gay people were incapable of giving love seemed pretty sour. Allie herself answered that in her post about the different kinds of love.

If you say you did not intend to come over as you did then so be it. Only you know what was inside your head so it is possible you may have been misunderstood. I wont be responding to any more posts from you in this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Abigail View Post
                  If you say you did not intend to come over as you did then so be it. Only you know what was inside your head so it is possible you may have been misunderstood. I wont be responding to any more posts from you in this thread.
                  It's his M.O. really. He says something inappropriate, then feigns being shocked by the whole situation when you call him out on it. Everyone seems to be the problem except him. He is just the innocent bystander "just asking questions" while being attacked by the persecutorial "commentariat" here you see. He seems to be incapable of having any self-awareness. It's always best to just say your peace and leave him to his own devices.
                  "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

Originally posted by Jesse View Post
                    It's his M.O. really. He says something inappropriate, then feigns being shocked by the whole situation when you call him out on it. Everyone seems to be the problem except him.
                    I believe you've seen me apologize and retract statements on this forum before, when it's demonstrably shown that I'm actually in error. You haven't shown anything here.

He is just the innocent bystander "just asking questions" while being attacked by the persecutorial "commentariat" here you see.
                    How in the world was my question about which high school she went to inappropriate? I grew up in the same area as she did, and I've never heard of any school in the area that sounds similar to what she described, so I was genuinely curious--because I was baffled trying to think of which one she could possibly be referring to.

As for the other questions, I had always assumed that the description "hater of God" referred to willful idolaters and hardened criminals and the like, not a devout Christian such as toodles who by all accounts loves God. Even if you disagree with that assumption, is it not at least an understandable one? That's why I was puzzled by her citation of Romans 1, because those descriptions didn't seem to match her situation at all--and so I wanted her to clarify what she meant.

He seems to be incapable of having any self-awareness. It's always best to just say your peace and leave him to his own devices.
                    You say something as cruel as this, yet you've never even made an effort to make me aware of things that I'm apparently missing. How could you possibly pass judgment on incapability when you never tried? Is that not the height of condescension yourself?

Comment

fm93
                      always the victim, never the instigator.

Comment

It's his M.O. really. He says something inappropriate, then feigns being shocked by the whole situation when you call him out on it. Everyone seems to be the problem except him. He is just the innocent bystander "just asking questions" while being attacked by the persecutorial "commentariat" here you see. He seems to be incapable of having any self-awareness. It's always best to just say your peace and leave him to his own devices.
                        'say your piece' NOT 'say your peace'.

Actually 'speak your piece' would be better, but

<Public service provided free of charge by your local Grammar Nazis>
                        ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

Originally posted by MaxVel View Post

I think you might be taking someone else's job in the Grammar Nazi department.

Comment

Originally posted by fm93 View Post
                            You say something as cruel as this, yet you've never even made an effort to make me aware of things that I'm apparently missing. How could you possibly pass judgment on incapability when you never tried? Is that not the height of condescension yourself?
                            Your persecution complex is getting tiresome.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxVel View Post

Such a perfect chance to use the meme, and now I can't find it....

Anyway, the meme says, "I'm not a grammar Nazi. I'm a grammar patriot."
                              I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Your persecution complex is getting tiresome.
                                I am practically pleading with you to please clarify what you mean so I can avoid giving people false impressions. I don't know why you seem so deadset on insisting that I have dishonest or sinister motives.

Comment