Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

States to Ignore Federal Courts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jaecp View Post
    Doesn't the executive branch enforce supreme court decisions? Like when the National Guard was brought in to desegregate those schools in Alabama? I think you're right that direct opposition to SCOTUS is a bigger deal than medical marijuana (and now recreational marijuana in a few places), even outside of the differences of expanding vs restricting what people can do.
    Yes, they're supposed to... which is why Andrew Jackson's direct defiance of the Supreme Court's decision with Indian relocation was such a crisis.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Sure, although I think with our more interconnected world now we won't see as much of the big, grand opposition and more people making their political points and, soon enough, the people in states affected by this decision (well under half) will come to the same realization that conservatives in the states that already had gay marriage laws that it doesn't effect their daily lives, like at all, and will get over it. Plus, well, I don't see Obama going against a SCOTUS decision like Jackson did. Rare situation, that.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
        States have already been ignoring the federal government by legalizing marijuana. I have been shouted down by trying to point this out (not as much here), but what's the real difference in principle? It seems many people who support pot will be upset about this and that doesn't strike me as consistent.
        Not just the states - the president (and I'll concede not merely the current occupant - although he certainly abuses the 'privilege') has been for quite some time now.

The fault, however, lies with the Court itself. Both in its own decisions and in what it has allowed to stand from lower courts, the Court has been undermining itself for decades. Neither liberals nor conservatives have much use for it other than a rubber stamp or an end run around the legislative process.

In answer to your question, there is none. The danger of selective enforcement is the same as the danger for judicial over reach - eventually, the winds change and there is nothing to stop the other guys from doing the same darn thing.
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

States have already been ignoring the federal government by legalizing marijuana. I have been shouted down by trying to point this out (not as much here), but what's the real difference in principle? It seems many people who support pot will be upset about this and that doesn't strike me as consistent.
          This ah . . . not true. The Federal courts have not ruled against legalizing marijuana use in states yet.

Some states have tried to ignore and oppose Federal Law and Courts concerning the integration of public schools, and of course failed.
          Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
          Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
          But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

He said 'government', not 'courts'....
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
              This ah . . . not true. The Federal courts have not ruled against legalizing marijuana use in states yet.

http://www.safeaccessnow.org/federal_marijuana_law
              http://www.marijuana-as-medicine.org...tate%20Law.htm

It's Federal Law - no need for a "Federal court" ruling.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                The question was whether the states ignored the Federal Courts. The facts are clear. At present the Federals Courts have not ruled on this.
                But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

The question was whether the states ignored the Federal Courts. The facts are clear. At present the Federals Courts have not ruled on this.
                  You were responding to this...

States have already been ignoring the federal government by legalizing marijuana.
                  But whatever.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                    He said 'government', not 'courts'....
                    The thread is about ignoring the 'Federal Courts.' There are many issues over time where the states laws and decisions are in not in concordance with Federal Law. The decision remains with the Federal Courts, and ultimately the Supreme Court.
                    Last edited by shunyadragon; 07-05-2015, 06:50 PM.

Frank

Comment

The thread is about ignoring the 'Federal Courts.'
                      You are so Shuny.

Comment

The OP specified 'federal government' - KG gets to mean whatever he wants, regardless of how you wish to interpret it. He said 'government' so the statement is true.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                          The OP specified 'federal government' - KG gets to mean whatever he wants, regardless of how you wish to interpret it. He said 'government' so the statement is true.

I was not questioning the statement. I was questioning its relevance to the topic of the thread.

The thread is about ignoring the 'Federal Courts.' There are many issues over time where the states laws and decisions are in not in concordance with Federal Law. The decision remains with the Federal Courts, and ultimately the Supreme Court.

Frank

Comment

Shuny is correct

Washington, my home state, has legalized recreational marijuana. Our state law is at odds with federal statutes which, as Shuny said, happens all the time.

What Washington is not currently doing is violating a court ruling as it applies to it's marijuana laws. It's an important distinction to keep in mind.

Comment

Jae, KG specified fed government and not just the courts - Shuny is just making a major deal out of nothing.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

I was not questioning the statement. I was questioning its relevance to the topic of the thread.

It's his thread - I'm pretty sure his OP is relevant.

Really, mountain meet molehill...

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment