Announcement

Collapse

Prayer Requests and Praise Reports Guidelines

Post your prayers, your words of encouragement, edification and help to another in this thread.

This area is strictly non-debate, all faiths or non-faiths are allowed.

Please keep in mind the rules: here
See more
See less

Jim Awaiting Liver Transplant - Possibly Tonight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I visited Jim and Diane this afternoon. It was the very first time I EVER saw Jim HEALTHY and alert and sitting up and making jokes and laughing - no tubes, no wires...

He's in the rehab section now, so his new doctor popped in, took a quick look at Jim, stepped out into the hallway and checked the name on the wall, then stepped back in rather incredulous, looking at Jim's chart, and asked "what are you in here for?" Jim answered "liver transplant". The doctor asked "WHEN?" Jim replied "12 days ago". The doctor was stunned. It was obvious he wasn't putting it on... he seemed genuinely stunned that Jim was sitting up in a chair, laughing and telling jokes, and talking about "going to my Church and meeting my new family for the first time".

August 4 is the day Jim is scheduled to be released from the Hospital to go home.
    jim and diane.jpg
    Last edited by Cow Poke; 07-28-2015, 08:26 PM.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Just talked to Diane - Sparko reminded me - and Jim is cleared by everybody except the surgical team, but they want him to wait til Friday. He's still doing really really well, but his OP and PT are going so good they want him to keep that up a few more days, and he can skip the next phase of therapy. He won't make it to Church THIS Sunday, probably, but next Sunday almost for sure!
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Comment

3 For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, 4 that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures --1 Corinthians 15:3-4 (borrowed with gratitude from 37818's sig)

Comment

Elvis has LEFT the building! Jim left the hospital yesterday, and will spend a couple nights at a hotel near the hospital, then go HOME!!!! Thanks for all your prayers. Pictures will be posted in the next couple days.

This is a man I've known for a year who has gone downhill - gotten closer to death's door - every day I've known him until a couple weeks ago when he got his transplant.

God is SO good!

Comment

Indeed God is good

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Is tomorrow the day Jim and Diane join you at the service at your church, CP?
                    3 For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, 4 that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures --1 Corinthians 15:3-4 (borrowed with gratitude from 37818's sig)

Comment

Originally posted by LostSheep View Post
                      Is tomorrow the day Jim and Diane join you at the service at your church, CP?
                      Jim came home Thursday afternoon, and YES!!!! They are planning to be in Church in the morning!

It will be Jim's first time in Church in over a YEAR, and the first time EVER at our Church!!!!!

Comment

Comment

Wonderful!

This is the first time I have Iiterally written a post .
                          Last edited by Teallaura; 08-15-2015, 10:37 PM.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

What an absolutely amazing and glorious morning!

Jim and Diane texted and let me know that they would probably come in after the song service, because Jim couldn't sit very long.

I had advised the congregation he would be coming in, and gave a brief summary of the situation for the visitors who were in attendance.

After one of our couples presented the "special music" - a duet - "He Touched Me", Jim and Diane appeared at the main entrance. The congregation stood and began clapping - a resounding standing ovation - as Jim walked up the isle to me with no walker and no assistance. I remember him hugging me, and I remember it lasted quite a while, and the Church continued clapping.

Diane had typed a letter for me to read, because she knew she would not be able to do it without blubbering and crying.

It was an incredible morning.

One of our first time visitors, an older gentleman and his wife, told me after Church --- "Wow, people talk about 'doing church' but you guys ARE Church!" It's not about us - it's about the love of Jesus that was everywhere in that room this morning, and Jim praising God for 'another lease on life'.

God is so good!

Comment

God and His Son be praised!!

Comment

I thought I'd share the letter I got to read to the Church this morning.....

Jim and I would like to somehow convey to all of you just how much your prayers, support, and countless acts of kindness have changed our lives. Without your love and prayers I would not have had the strength to see him through this past year. Without your financial blessings he would not even have had the opportunity to be at Methodist Hospital receiving the best possible care. But most importantly, without God answering prayers we would not be here today.

I was literally watching my husband’s life slip away a little more each day. The doctors in the ICU told me that without a transplant he in all likelihood was only a few days away from dying. His kidneys had shut down, his liver had ceased to function, and he was in danger of bleeding to death as his blood could no longer clot. On the night of July 12th I was leaving the ICU, totally exhausted and feeling drained of hope. For so long I had prayed for God to heal my husband. But this time I prayed, Father if it is your will to take Jim home to be with you I just ask it is soon because he is a good man and loves you and I can’t bear to see him suffer any longer. But if it is your will to heal him please also help him soon. I believe it was that moment of complete, genuine, and total surrender to God’s will in which our prayers were answered.

The next sound I heard was someone running behind me. I turned and looked back and saw Jim’s nurse from ICU running towards me. My heart sunk and I said “what happened, what happened?” She said “hurry, come with me. It’s good, it’s good!” The surgeon met me at the entrance to the ICU and said the words I had almost given up on hearing, Mrs. Odermann, we have a donor!!

Since the transplant surgery, Jim’s recovery has been nothing short of miraculous. The doctors and nurses are astounded by his recovery and progress. But Jim is not surprised. He says, “God did not bring me through this for nothing, I have a testimony he wants me to share.” As soon as he was able to speak again he told them all he needed to get out and go to Church to thank everyone and then he would come back and do whatever they wanted him to do to get better. They did not let him, but not for a lack of him trying to convince them!

We had several different chaplains come visit us while we were at the hospital. We shared with each of them our story of how our church family at _________ Baptist Church stepped in to help two people they had never met, who were in desperate need, and lifted us up and prayed us through this past year. They all said the same thing as they were leaving. “I came to encourage you, but instead your story has restored and strengthened my faith.”

When we moved to Brenham we were looking for a church, but it turned out the church found us. It is because God touched your hearts that what we thought was the worst year of our lives instead was truly our most blessed year. The saying “There is no place like home” isn’t just about a house after all. We are home here, at ________ Baptist. You are all forever in our hearts and our prayers.

Jim & Diane

Comment