Announcement

Collapse

Eschatology 201 Guidelines

This area of the forum is primarily for Christian theists to discuss orthodox views of Eschatology. Other theist participation is welcome within that framework, but only within orthodoxy. Posts from nontheists that do not promote atheism or seek to undermine the faith of others will be permitted at the Moderator's discretion - such posters should contact the area moderators before posting.

Without turning this forum into a 'hill of foreskins' (Joshua 5:3), I believe we can still have fun with this 'sensitive' topic.

However, don't be misled, dispensationalism has only partly to do with circumcision issues. So, let's not forget about Innocence, Conscience, Promises, Kingdoms and so on.

End time -isms within orthodox Christianity also discussed here. Clearly unorthodox doctrines, such as those advocating "pantelism/full preterism/Neo-Hymenaeanism" or the denial of any essential of the historic Christian faith are not permitted in this section but can be discussed in Comparative Religions 101 without restriction. Any such threads, as well as any that within the moderator's discretions fall outside mainstream evangelical belief, will be moved to the appropriate area.

Millennialism- post-, pre- a-

Futurism, Historicism, Idealism, and Preterism, or just your garden variety Zionism.

From the tribulation to the anichrist. Whether your tastes run from Gary DeMar to Tim LaHaye or anywhere in between, your input is welcome here.

OK folks, let's roll!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

What's a good source for learning eschatology?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's a good source for learning eschatology?

I've been watching youtubes of this "September 23" "Rapture Puzzle" stuff, and I realized that I don't really know how to examine their claims at all. Is there an objective source, like a book, or something, that explains biblical prophecy well? I have almost entirely neglected this aspect of my religion and I'd like to catch up. You know, before the 23rd when the rapture happens
    "Some people feel guilty about their anxieties and regard them as a defect of faith but they are afflictions, not sins. Like all afflictions, they are, if we can so take them, our share in the passion of Christ." - That Guy Everyone Quotes

Because the Time Is Near by John MacArthur is a good explanation of the futurist position.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Apocalypse Code by Hank Hannegraaff
      When I Survey....

Comment

Although I haven't read it, I would imagine that Dee Dee's Book "It's Not The End Of The World" should be a good explanation of the Orthodox Preterist view.

http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...by-DDW-release
        "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by hamster View Post
          I've been watching youtubes of this "September 23" "Rapture Puzzle" stuff, and I realized that I don't really know how to examine their claims at all. Is there an objective source, like a book, or something, that explains biblical prophecy well? I have almost entirely neglected this aspect of my religion and I'd like to catch up. You know, before the 23rd when the rapture happens
          Reviews at Amazon.com complain about the archaic writing style ― it was published in 1898; however, it was most helpful to me decades ago when I was seeking to understand biblical eschatology: Biblical Apocalyptics: A Study of the Most Notable Revelations of God and of Christ, by Milton S. Terry.

Easier to read and more focused on a single subject is The Olivet Discourse Made Easy, by Kenneth L. Gentry.
          Last edited by John Reece; 07-05-2015, 02:35 PM.

Comment

You might consider Things To Come, by J. Dwight Pentecost.
            . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Thank you! I'll look into these, hopefully some of them are on Audible
              "Some people feel guilty about their anxieties and regard them as a defect of faith but they are afflictions, not sins. Like all afflictions, they are, if we can so take them, our share in the passion of Christ." - That Guy Everyone Quotes

Comment

Steve Gregg's "Revelation: Four Views" is an asset; it's a Parallel Commentary that covers the Big Four (Historicism, Futurism, Preterism, and Idealism), and I think he does a fair job of presenting each view.
                Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaotic Void View Post
                  Steve Gregg's "Revelation: Four Views" is an asset; it's a Parallel Commentary that covers the Big Four (Historicism, Futurism, Preterism, and Idealism), and I think he does a fair job of presenting each view.
                  I agree it's an asset! I own a copy myself, and even though I'm a big reader, I found it hard to just sit down and read.
                  "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by Chaotic Void View Post
                    I found Steve Gregg independently, having forgotten about your recommendation, about a month ago on Youtube. His lectures have helped me on eschatology and loads of other things. I had never heard him before, but man, his lectures are fantastic, and they got me out of a really dark time.

Comment

Originally posted by hamster View Post
                      I found Steve Gregg independently, having forgotten about your recommendation, about a month ago on Youtube. His lectures have helped me on eschatology and loads of other things. I had never heard him before, but man, his lectures are fantastic, and they got me out of a really dark time.
                      I'll have to look for those...I've never heard him lecture. I knew he wrote the book to be used as a Textbook for his class IIRC.

Comment

You can find him at thenarrowpath.com/. Besides his lectures he has a daily call in radio program that is also very good.
                        We know J6 wasn’t peaceful because they didn’t set the building on fire.

Comment

Pop Prophecy: Exposing False Prophecies about "Rapture," Israel, and the End of the World by Tal Brooke.

Comment

Count me in as a big fan of Steve Gregg's Revelation: Four Views.

Comment

Originally posted by arnoldo View Post
                              Pop Prophecy: Exposing False Prophecies about "Rapture," Israel, and the End of the World by Tal Brooke.
                              I've read his autobiography Avatar of Night, but that's it. He's a very good writer.
                              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                              sigpic
                              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment