Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's a good source for learning eschatology?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

What's a good source for learning eschatology?

I've been watching youtubes of this "September 23" "Rapture Puzzle" stuff, and I realized that I don't really know how to examine their claims at all. Is there an objective source, like a book, or something, that explains biblical prophecy well? I have almost entirely neglected this aspect of my religion and I'd like to catch up. You know, before the 23rd when the rapture happens
    "Some people feel guilty about their anxieties and regard them as a defect of faith but they are afflictions, not sins. Like all afflictions, they are, if we can so take them, our share in the passion of Christ." - That Guy Everyone Quotes

Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Because the Time Is Near by John MacArthur is a good explanation of the futurist position.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

3. Amen theophilus amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Apocalypse Code by Hank Hannegraaff

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Although I haven't read it, I would imagine that Dee Dee's Book "It's Not The End Of The World" should be a good explanation of the Orthodox Preterist view.

http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...by-DDW-release
    "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

6. Amen 37818, hamster amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by hamster View Post
    I've been watching youtubes of this "September 23" "Rapture Puzzle" stuff, and I realized that I don't really know how to examine their claims at all. Is there an objective source, like a book, or something, that explains biblical prophecy well? I have almost entirely neglected this aspect of my religion and I'd like to catch up. You know, before the 23rd when the rapture happens
    Reviews at Amazon.com complain about the archaic writing style ― it was published in 1898; however, it was most helpful to me decades ago when I was seeking to understand biblical eschatology: Biblical Apocalyptics: A Study of the Most Notable Revelations of God and of Christ, by Milton S. Terry.

Easier to read and more focused on a single subject is The Olivet Discourse Made Easy, by Kenneth L. Gentry.
    Last edited by John Reece; 07-05-2015 at 07:35 PM.
    בָּ֘ר֤וּךְ יְהוָ֨ה אֱלֹ֘הֵ֤י יִשְׂרָאֵ֗ל מֵֽ֭הָעוֹלָם וְעַ֥ד הָעוֹלָ֗ם אָ֘מֵ֥ן וְאָמֵֽן׃

8. Amen hamster amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Nontraditional Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    You might consider Things To Come, by J. Dwight Pentecost.
    . . . the Gospel of Christ, for it is [the] power of God to salvation to every [one] believing, . . . -- Romans 1:16.

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3, 4.

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1.

10. Amen hamster amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Thank you! I'll look into these, hopefully some of them are on Audible
    "Some people feel guilty about their anxieties and regard them as a defect of faith but they are afflictions, not sins. Like all afflictions, they are, if we can so take them, our share in the passion of Christ." - That Guy Everyone Quotes

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Steve Gregg's "Revelation: Four Views" is an asset; it's a Parallel Commentary that covers the Big Four (Historicism, Futurism, Preterism, and Idealism), and I think he does a fair job of presenting each view.
    Mercenary Maxim 37: There is No 'Overkill.' There is merely 'Open Fire,' and 'I need to Reload.'

13. Amen Adrift amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic Void View Post
    Steve Gregg's "Revelation: Four Views" is an asset; it's a Parallel Commentary that covers the Big Four (Historicism, Futurism, Preterism, and Idealism), and I think he does a fair job of presenting each view.
    I agree it's an asset! I own a copy myself, and even though I'm a big reader, I found it hard to just sit down and read.
    "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

15. Amen Adrift amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic Void View Post
    I found Steve Gregg independently, having forgotten about your recommendation, about a month ago on Youtube. His lectures have helped me on eschatology and loads of other things. I had never heard him before, but man, his lectures are fantastic, and they got me out of a really dark time.

17. Amen One Bad Pig, Adrift, RumTumTugger amen'd this post.