Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 37

Thread: What's a good source for learning eschatology?

  1. #21
    Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Inside the beltway
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    13,752
    Amen (Given)
    4535
    Amen (Received)
    8029
    Quote Originally Posted by theophilus View Post
    Of course. Don't you want to be ready for the Rapture?
    I want to be ready for the return of Christ. I am highly skeptical of the dispensational pre-trib pre-mill position. Dee Dee Warren, a previous owner here, regularly cited Rapture Ready as a particularly egregious proponent of the view.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. St. John Chrysostom

    Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

  2. Amen Faber, alaskazimm, RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
  3. #22
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,749
    Amen (Given)
    195
    Amen (Received)
    712
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    I want to be ready for the return of Christ. I am highly skeptical of the dispensational pre-trib pre-mill position. Dee Dee Warren, a previous owner here, regularly cited Rapture Ready as a particularly egregious proponent of the view.
    Now I'm confused. If you don't believe Jesus is returning to earth to rule (the premil belief), wouldn't you believe in a rapture at some point when Jesus returns to gather the church, if not on the earth then I presume in heaven? Partial preterists still believe that Jesus is returning to gather the church at some point... or am I confused about that too?

  4. #23
    tWebber alaskazimm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Western Alaska
    Faith
    A Follower of the Way
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    116
    Amen (Given)
    215
    Amen (Received)
    78
    Quote Originally Posted by seanD View Post
    Now I'm confused. If you don't believe Jesus is returning to earth to rule (the premil belief), wouldn't you believe in a rapture at some point when Jesus returns to gather the church, if not on the earth then I presume in heaven? Partial preterists still believe that Jesus is returning to gather the church at some point... or am I confused about that too?
    That much is true - we wait for the coming of the Lord and the new heavens and earth. What we are skeptical of is the dispensational pre-trib pre-mil scenario with the 7 year trib and the 1000 year millennium with two returns and three resurrections.

  5. #24
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,749
    Amen (Given)
    195
    Amen (Received)
    712
    Quote Originally Posted by alaskazimm View Post
    That much is true - we wait for the coming of the Lord and the new heavens and earth. What we are skeptical of is the dispensational pre-trib pre-mil scenario with the 7 year trib and the 1000 year millennium with two returns and three resurrections.
    Okay, but what confused me is that theophilus didn't specifically mention pre-trib rapture. He just said rapture. So I"m right that preterists actually do believe in a rapture at some point just not as specifically as pre-tribbers believe. That's actually kind of goofy to be so religiously opposed to it because it's essentially the same belief just a matter of a slightly small detail.

  6. #25
    Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Inside the beltway
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    13,752
    Amen (Given)
    4535
    Amen (Received)
    8029
    Quote Originally Posted by seanD View Post
    Okay, but what confused me is that theophilus didn't specifically mention pre-trib rapture. He just said rapture. So I"m right that preterists actually do believe in a rapture at some point just not as specifically as pre-tribbers believe. That's actually kind of goofy to be so religiously opposed to it because it's essentially the same belief just a matter of a slightly small detail.
    When he is citing "Rapture Ready" it is clear what he means by it.

    Preterists believe that we will meet the Lord in the sky and escort him the rest of the way down to the earth, which is nearly the opposite of what pre-tribbers believe. Is that a "slightly small detail" IYO?
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. St. John Chrysostom

    Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

  7. Amen alaskazimm, RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
  8. #26
    tWebber Faber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Orion Arm
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    630
    Amen (Given)
    113
    Amen (Received)
    298
    Quote Originally Posted by seanD View Post
    Okay, but what confused me is that theophilus didn't specifically mention pre-trib rapture. He just said rapture. So I"m right that preterists actually do believe in a rapture at some point just not as specifically as pre-tribbers believe. That's actually kind of goofy to be so religiously opposed to it because it's essentially the same belief just a matter of a slightly small detail.
    When Margaret MacDonald and Edward Irving invented the doctrine in 1830, that was the term they coined for it.

  9. #27
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,749
    Amen (Given)
    195
    Amen (Received)
    712
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    When he is citing "Rapture Ready" it is clear what he means by it.

    Preterists believe that we will meet the Lord in the sky and escort him the rest of the way down to the earth, which is nearly the opposite of what pre-tribbers believe. Is that a "slightly small detail" IYO?
    Wow, then I'm really confused, because that implies a pre-mil belief.

  10. #28
    Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Inside the beltway
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    13,752
    Amen (Given)
    4535
    Amen (Received)
    8029
    Quote Originally Posted by seanD View Post
    Wow, then I'm really confused, because that implies a pre-mil belief.
    How so? The return of Christ (1 Cor 15:52) is best correlated with Rev. 20:13-21:3, which is after the millenial reign.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. St. John Chrysostom

    Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

  11. #29
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Faith
    Evangelical Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    86
    Amen (Given)
    223
    Amen (Received)
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by seanD View Post
    Okay, but what confused me is that theophilus didn't specifically mention pre-trib rapture. He just said rapture.
    I believe in a pre-trib rapture and that is also the position of the Rapture Ready site.
    The brutal, soul-shaking truth is that we are so earthly minded we are of no heavenly use.
    Leonard Ravenhill

    https://clydeherrin.wordpress.com/

  12. #30
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    486
    Amen (Given)
    33
    Amen (Received)
    21
    Another great source that I highly recommend is the Bible.

  13. Amen One Bad Pig, theophilus amen'd this post.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •