Announcement

Collapse

Ecclesiology 201 Guidelines

Discussion on matters of general mainstream Christian churches. What are the differences between Catholics and protestants? How has the charismatic movement affected the church? Are Southern baptists different from fundamentalist baptists? It is also for discussions about the nature of the church.

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and theists. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions. Additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Church Models

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you trying to engage them in the church or in their faith? It sounded like the former in the OP but now I'm thinking you mean getting them to think actively about their faith.

Do an informal survey - find out what the men most want to understand in Scripture and do a Bible study on the relevant C&V as well as the topic.

Have an adult contest (do a seperate one for the kids if you like) that challenges everyone to read Scripture. Men tend to like challenges so make it both interesting and difficult enough that it's a challenge.

Have a Bible study in an unusual setting. A study on evangelism in a duck blind, spiritual connection on a farm - relevant yet creative settings that take Scripture out of the church and into their lives.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
      Are you trying to engage them in the church or in their faith?
      YES!

It sounded like the former in the OP but now I'm thinking you mean getting them to think actively about their faith.
      Yes, to be the honest-to-goodness spiritual leaders in the home. (I didn't mention that in the OP?)

Do an informal survey - find out what the men most want to understand in Scripture and do a Bible study on the relevant C&V as well as the topic.
      Actually been thinking about this, but in a more proactive form -- I think I'm going to start taking them out to lunch, one at a time, and just tell them what I want to achieve, and see what their recommendations are. I think some of them would appreciate being asked.

Have an adult contest (do a seperate one for the kids if you like) that challenges everyone to read Scripture. Men tend to like challenges so make it both interesting and difficult enough that it's a challenge.

Have a Bible study in an unusual setting. A study on evangelism in a duck blind, spiritual connection on a farm - relevant yet creative settings that take Scripture out of the church and into their lives.
      You're a very scary person. I've actually DONE those things with youth, when I was a youth minister. Giving this some more thought.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

1) Yes, you mentioned it but it sounded like you needed the church involvement as well. Or maybe I didn't read carefully enough.

I find it easier to engage people with their faith if we already have them engaged in the church. Mileage varies wildly, of course.

2) I like it. One on one has a lot of advantages.

3)
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

1) Yes, you mentioned it but it sounded like you needed the church involvement as well. Or maybe I didn't read carefully enough.
          Ah, ok... where I need the Church's involvement is so the women don't think I'm abandoning them and the children while I focus on the men. I need the women to "buy into" this.

I find it easier to engage people with their faith if we already have them engaged in the church. Mileage varies wildly, of course.
          ABSOLUTELY my experience! If I can get men involved in the "non Churchy" aspects of the Church, like work days, building or fixing things, ministry to our shut-ins (thought they don't need to know it's "ministry - that might scare them) and stuff like that --- it's a WHOLE lot easier to get them doing the "churchy" stuff, and before you know it, they ENJOY coming.

2) I like it. One on one has a lot of advantages.

3)
          This is helping me think through some things I've done before where the Spirit has blessed bunches.

I had a PARTIAL response to this already typed, then lost it, because LO AND BEHOLD, one of my men stopped by with his UNCHURCHED FATHER, to look at a problem we're having with the sound system. His dad has 31 years as a lawman, so we had a common interest (my prior police experience) and he voluntarily said, "I think I might start coming to this Church".

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

1) Okay, gotcha. Let me think about the 'getting the gals to buy in' thing (honestly, that shouldn't be all that hard).

2)

3) Awesome!

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

1) Okay, gotcha. Let me think about the 'getting the gals to buy in' thing (honestly, that shouldn't be all that hard).
              Yeah, we have "leadership team" meeting next Wednesday Night, and that would be a good time to broach the subject and get some feedback.

Comment

Cow Poke,

First, I pray that God will continue to bless your ministry in reviving the church you serve at.

I am responding about ministry to men. This is wholly and solely my prespective. Apologies if anything I post causes "jokes and silliness" or a hijacked thread. I also in no way imply that you are or are not doing any of the following; it is present as my answer to your OP.

From a my prespective, this is what I want in church and mens' ministry. Many of the points are items I've seen in churches I've attended for an extended period that did not end well. (On occassion when I say "you" below it is a generic fellow Christian and not meant to be directed as Cow Poke.)

1. As Tellaura puts, "Preach Christ and Him crucified." At church, I am wanting to focus on God for a time not the world. I don't want sermons on 7 ways for worldly success, or why God wants you healthy and wealthy... Incidently, I don't need a cute story or a personal experience in every sermon. If you preach on yourself, you run out material eventually - preach on God and you never run out of new material...

2. Please avoid Christian fads. Chasing this week's fad usual ends with me preceiving you as being blown by every wind of doctrine. I don't think its health for church growth to change direction frequently.

3. Don't let the building swallow the mission of the church. Remind the people the church is the community not the building and however painful it may, be open to changing location when God leds that direction.

4. Don't let church be built around the pastor. Make sure the church is focused on serving God instead of pleasing the pastor. Have a succession plan for when the pastor leaves. I think in the independent church movement, too many are founded on the pastor and when he leaves, the ministry collapses.

5. Let's find the balance between me doing because the church needs it and me doing because its God's call on me. Too much of the first will frustrate me eventually as I wonder when I will be able to follow God's call. Be open to helping me follow God's call even if there is no direct preceived benefit to the church.

6. Help me to learn to die to myself and live for the glory of God. Its hard for me.

7. When talking to me, first ask me how I am doing and then how is the wife and work? Failing to ask about me indicates you just view me as an extension of my wife or job.

8. Don't let the only ministry to me be marriage enrichment because I am married. I love my wife. However I am also realistic enough to recognize she will never reach that "soul mate" image that is so prevelent. She like me a sinner and imperfect. I don't expect perfection from her, why should you?

9. By extention, don't let your Mother's Day sermon be "Gals you're great." and your Father Day's sersom be "Men, you've got to do better." Right now, the world puts the contribution of men down enough. I don't need my church to do the same. Recognize that all are sinners and fall short of the glory of God. Being positionally perfect before God does not make me perfect on earth.

10. Don't be afraid to talk about spiritual matters. Not everything has to be of immediate practicality. Remember we pilgrims in this world and our residence is in the world to come.

11. While Christians are to be involved in the world, don't let the church be a wing of a particular political party. Like church membership, party membership does not guarantee Heaven or Hell.

12. Make sure the church has a focus on caring for its own members. Sometimes churches can be so outward focused that members needing ministry can be missed. Of course, being inward focused can prevent the church from having an impact. Again, this is an area that needs balance.

(Special consideration): I am physically handicapped. The normal men doing stuff can make me feel excluded. I try to make allowances for this but I am human and its sometimes hurts.

That seems to be the important points. I have some preference items but I don't they're critical. I hope this helps you.
                Last edited by Thoughtful Monk; 02-13-2014, 06:35 PM.
                "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Are you trying to engage them in the church or in their faith? It sounded like the former in the OP but now I'm thinking you mean getting them to think actively about their faith.

AMEN. (The new TWEB Version.)
                  "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
                    AMEN. (The new TWEB Version.)
                    Amen.
                    For Neo-Remonstration (Arminian/Remonstrant ruminations): <https://theremonstrant.blogspot.com>

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X