Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

New Horizons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Horizons

As the New Horizons spacecraft approaches Pluto, I figured I'd start a thread to discuss it.

Apparently it is supposed to be up and running again today after going into "safe mode" on July 4.
    https://www.nasa.gov/nh/new-horizons...nce-operations
    Find my speling strange? I'm trying this out: Simplified Speling. Feel free to join me.

"Nature has placed mankind under the governance of two sovereign masters, pain and pleasure. It is for them alone to point out what we ought to do, as well as to determine what we shall do."-Jeremy Bentham

"We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question."-Orson Scott Card

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Been looking forward to this for a long time. Hope it has a successfull run.

Comment

Fascinating!
        "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by stfoskey15 View Post
          As the New Horizons spacecraft approaches Pluto, I figured I'd start a thread to discuss it.

Apparently it is supposed to be up and running again today after going into "safe mode" on July 4.
          https://www.nasa.gov/nh/new-horizons...nce-operations
          Pluto is getting miffed with everyone spying on him. He just wants to be left alone and be told that he's a "good boy" on occasion. Is that too much to ask?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

He looks a lot more upset that you put fly paper on the TP roll again...

So, we're finally gonna get some good pics of everyone's favorite iceball that may or may not be a planet, depending on who you talk to, huh?

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

More updates:
              http://www.nbcnews.com/science/space...hought-n391321

Apparently we won't be learning anything new tomorrow because the space probe will be too busy collecting data.
              Find my speling strange? I'm trying this out: Simplified Speling. Feel free to join me.

"Nature has placed mankind under the governance of two sovereign masters, pain and pleasure. It is for them alone to point out what we ought to do, as well as to determine what we shall do."-Jeremy Bentham

"We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question."-Orson Scott Card

Comment

Pluto and its larger moon Charon.
                pluto-charon-630px.jpg
                Current photo of Pluto, more to come.
                nh-7-13-15_pluto_image_nasa-jhuapl-swri-582x410.jpg

stfosky's link is more upto date:
                Originally posted by stfoskey15 View Post
                More updates:
                http://www.nbcnews.com/science/space...hought-n391321

Apparently we won't be learning anything new tomorrow because the space probe will be too busy collecting data.
                150713-pluto3_bac0ce23464ab9ff9843061c405ad841.nbcnews-fp-360-360.jpg

hmm... all three images show essentially the same face of Pluto.
                Last edited by 37818; 07-13-2015, 09:14 PM.
                . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Your most up-to-date source of information will probably be http://pluto.jhuapl.edu/
                  When I Survey....

Comment

Maybe I'm misunderstanding it, but if Pluto's moon Charon is larger than Pluto, why isn't Pluto the one orbiting the greater in mass Charon?

Comment

Originally posted by Knowing Thomas View Post
                      Maybe I'm misunderstanding it, but if Pluto's moon Charon is larger than Pluto, why isn't Pluto the one orbiting the greater in mass Charon?
                      Charon is smaller than Pluto. Charon is larger than Pluto's other moons.

Roy
                      Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                      MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Charon is a little over half the size of Pluto.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
                          Pluto and its larger moon Charon.
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]7986[/ATTACH]
                          Current photo of Pluto, more to come.
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]7987[/ATTACH]

stfosky's link is more upto date:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7988[/ATTACH]

hmm... all three images show essentially the same face of Pluto.
                          Pluto's rotation period is something like 6.4 days, IIRC. That's a relatively long timescale compared to the flyby timeline.
                          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                          sigpic
                          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Technically, Charon could be smaller yet greater in mass (a highly unlikely scenario, however). Charon, as has already been stated, is about half the size of Pluto, with similar composition. Because they are so close in mass, Charon does not orbit Pluto; they both orbit around a center of mass off the surface of Pluto.
                            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                            sigpic
                            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                              Technically, Charon could be smaller yet greater in mass (a highly unlikely scenario, however). Charon, as has already been stated, is about half the size of Pluto, with similar composition. Because they are so close in mass, Charon does not orbit Pluto; they both orbit around a center of mass off the surface of Pluto.
                              00000000Pluto-Charon_System.gif

Comment