Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

Recorder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recorder

No, not a tape recorder...

Anyway, since Heartsablaze started his piano thread I thought I'd start my recorder thread.

I've had a soprano recorder for ages but never got very far trying to figure it out alone. I noticed recorder classes at the local senior center ( I am just barely old enough at fifty, thankyouverymuch.) and decided to take one. Well, they are working on alto recorders which I can't yet afford but I got to sit in and try on someone else's. Since I never played a wind instrument (percussion rules!) I hadn't known what I was doing wrong. But I picked up a few pointers that made a world of difference.

I've been working on soprano (different fingering) with a lesson book I'd picked up a few weeks earlier at a library sale. I'm doing pretty good. having issues with the lower register but I think I'm getting it. The noise is recognizable at notes and I can tell a big difference.

I still love percussion but I admit I now wish I'd tried woodwinds way back when - my sight reading is a LOT better.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

If it didn't hurt my ears like it does now, I could play my ocarina. Very similar in sound to a recorder. It's the only instrument I can play.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
      If it didn't hurt my ears like it does now, I could play my ocarina. Very similar in sound to a recorder. It's the only instrument I can play.
      Cool. I've seen those online but never a real one. But they sound pretty neat.
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
          Cool. I've seen those online but never a real one. But they sound pretty neat.
          I had one that looked like this, but it had less holes in it. Apparently that company doesn't make the model I have anymore. Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time is what got me interested in playing an instrument.

Comment

I um used to play mine pretty well.
            A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
            George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Knowing Thomas View Post

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

All the recorders in my life only played one tune: Single, shrill note that cracks as it gets loud
                "Some people feel guilty about their anxieties and regard them as a defect of faith but they are afflictions, not sins. Like all afflictions, they are, if we can so take them, our share in the passion of Christ." - That Guy Everyone Quotes

Comment

The feels are undescribable.

Comment

I figured it out! The professor had mentioned that some people play with their fingers flat over the keyholes but it had felt weird on the alto. On the soprano, however, it's perfect! The problem is that it isn't easy to get perfect closure with your fingertips. The flat part works perfectly - no squelching at all!

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

It proved to be harder than I thought but I am getting the lower register. I am surprised at myself. I have only missed one day of practice (the recorder was in the car). I often lose interest in something that requires practice if I am the only one doing it.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

I got my alto recorder today!

I earned Bing points until I had enough to order one from Amazon. It was on sale, too!

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

With the move and two jobs, I didn't get to go to class much and practice was non-existent for three months BUT now I'm back in practice, been going to class and I even got to be the star pupil one week.

Weirdly, I finally picked up the soprano last week and suddenly the low register is no problem at all.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

i think we have a serious contender for ewww holy night.

Comment

I'm saving my Bing points right now for a graphics tablet thingie. But after I get that, I'd gonna buy a tenor recorder.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment