Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pope Francis the Rev False Prophet?

Faith
    Broman Catholic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by seanD View Post
    As you said, I'm sure you've heard the arguments already. It's awash in paganism. Catholics will obviously deny it til they're blue in the face so there's no use in me rehashing the subject.
    Deny until we're blue in the face, laugh until we're blue in the face... what's the difference, really?

Undoubtedly your beliefs about Catholicism as a whole are about as based in documented fact as your beliefs about what Pope Francis has said and done.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I actually haven't heard the arguments. I was only briefly exposed to the idea by my friend's father (who holds to it), and the topic changed. I think Chick Tracts are somehow involved from skimming another thread. I am not looking for a debate, so a link would be just as good to me as you explaining it yourself. I am inclined against the idea, but if it's true, I want to know about it.
    “I baptize you with water for repentance, but he who is coming after me is mightier than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire." Matthew 3:11

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pentecost View Post
    I actually haven't heard the arguments. I was only briefly exposed to the idea by my friend's father (who holds to it), and the topic changed. I think Chick Tracts are somehow involved from skimming another thread. I am not looking for a debate, so a link would be just as good to me as you explaining it yourself. I am inclined against the idea, but if it's true, I want to know about it.
    A general rule of thumb is that if there is some Christian tradition not found in scripture, or even contradicted by scripture, it has pagan roots. This type of external tradition is rife in the Catholic church. But I couldn't give you just one link because the subject requires very extensive study, including a large variety of sources. It also is a very confusing subject, as it's been almost entirely obfuscated by internet Jesus mysticists who confuse the Judeo-Christian faith of the first century and the amalgamation of religious influence outside of New Testament scripture that occurred in the later centuries.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Jesus said that the gates of hell would never prevail against the church. Since Catholicism was basically the only game in town for awhile, if Catholicism is apostasy, then the gates of hell would have prevailed.
    I want something good to die for to make it beautiful to live.

5. Amen Chaotic Void amen'd this post.
    Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by seanD View Post
    A general rule of thumb is that if there is some Christian tradition not found in scripture, or even contradicted by scripture, it has pagan roots. This type of external tradition is rife in the Catholic church. But I couldn't give you just one link because the subject requires very extensive study, including a large variety of sources. It also is a very confusing subject, as it's been almost entirely obfuscated by internet Jesus mysticists who confuse the Judeo-Christian faith of the first century and the amalgamation of religious influence outside of New Testament scripture that occurred in the later centuries.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

7. Amen Irate Canadian amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    There are things in Catholicism that I disagree with, and much with which I agree in Luther's early theology, but it seems to me he went off the deep end rather quickly with his apocalyptic expectations and specific identifications of the Pope and others as figures prophesied in the Book of Revelation.
    βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
    ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

9. Amen Scrawly, John Reece amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Okay Sean, thanks for that brief explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    Jesus said that the gates of hell would never prevail against the church. Since Catholicism was basically the only game in town for awhile, if Catholicism is apostasy, then the gates of hell would have prevailed.
    And that's been my understanding, but I like learning alternative view points to try and discover if I've been wrong about something.
    “I baptize you with water for repentance, but he who is coming after me is mightier than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire." Matthew 3:11

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by robrecht View Post
    There are things in Catholicism that I disagree with, and much with which I agree in Luther's early theology, but it seems to me he went off the deep end rather quickly with his apocalyptic expectations and specific identifications of the Pope and others as figures prophesied in the Book of Revelation.
    Not to derail the thread - but I have observed similar phenomena, even in my own life, where seemingly the deeper one plunges into theological study and devotion, the seemingly increasingly neurotic, one becomes. Why do you think this is? How ought we guard against this?

Mods - perhaps we can start a new thread on this very topic.

Thanks.

12. Amen robrecht, John Reece amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrawly View Post
    Not to derail the thread - but I have observed similar phenomena, even in my own life, where seemingly the deeper one plunges into theological study and devotion, the seemingly increasingly neurotic, one becomes. Why do you think this is? How ought we guard against this?

Mods - perhaps we can start a new thread on this very topic.

Thanks.
    If you want to start a thread on a topic, go ahead and do so. Just make sure you follow the rules(like where it should be posted, if you're not sure, ask a mod). In a case like this it's much better for you to go ahead and do this yourself. The mods here are all volunteer workers, and unless there is a serious derail it's best if threads are started by individual members.

I'm not speaking in a mod capacity right now FYI. Mostly just a friendly heads up.
    Safka, you are NOT "unknown", you were loved by many, and you will not be forgotten. I will always remember you Puginator.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    He also said that a house divided will not stand. Obviously protestantism broke away from the Catholic church for a reason, and God allowed it to happen. So maybe it becomes necessary to decide which house is the true church Christ was referring to. I doubt he was referring to a divided house because then it becomes a contradiction.