Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Ethics 301 Guidelines

This forum is for Christians to discuss ethical issues within Christianity. Non-theists, non-christians, and unorthodox Christians should not post here without first getting permission from the area's moderators.

If you have a question about what's OK and what's not OK, please contact the moderators.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Divorce and remarriage and repenting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Divorce and remarriage and repenting

Hi, I was wondering how somebody would repent after getting divorced and remarried? If somebody has been married for years and has kids with that person and they are in love what should they do?
    Last edited by Christy; 07-09-2015, 04:40 PM.

In his Matthew commentary, Craig Keener argues the earliest Christians probably did not break up remarriages:

As common as divorce and remarriage were in antiquity (Carcopino 1940:95-100), Paul's letters would surely have reflected it had he been spending time breaking up new converts' second and third marriages. The Roman authorities, already concerned about subversive religious groups disrupting families (Keener 1992b:139-42), would have also noticed and acted swiftly! In practice, the strict position of churches that break up second marriages actually leads to new divorces-a position God surely disapproves of (Mt 5:19).
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

A person on one site seems to believe that you should get a divorce if you're remarried as part of repentance;

Since our purposeful separation before God (that you have been aware of since March 22, 2008), we have now rightfully dissolved our marriage before God through a divorce as a final step in our repentance and obedience before our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ (2 Corinthians 10:4-6).
      I know people who were divorced and are now remarried in happy relationships for years and have kids. What should they do if they want to repent?
      Last edited by Christy; 07-09-2015, 04:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Christy View Post
        This site says that you should get a divorce if your remarried as part of repentance; http://www.cadz.net/humphrey.html

I know people who were divorced and are now remarried in happy relationships for years and have kids. What should they do if they want to repent?
        My antivirus software warned me that site contained malware. I'd advise everyone to be careful.
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Oh, sorry about that. I'll remove it. Nothing came up from my antivirus so I didn't know.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
            In his Matthew commentary, Craig Keener argues the earliest Christians probably did not break up remarriages:
            Thanks, I didn't see this when I posted my second post.

Comment

There is, or was some years ago, a "pastor" who did advocate that Christians who were married and divorced then remarried prior to conversion should leave their latest spouse and go back to the original spouse. I though then and think now that is not only stupid, but unchristian.
              Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                There is, or was some years ago, a "pastor" who did advocate that Christians who were married and divorced then remarried prior to conversion should leave their latest spouse and go back to the original spouse. I though then and think now that is not only stupid, but unchristian.
                Yes that seems very silly. Wouldn't that be something like in Deuteronomy 24:1-4 , especially if the first wife had herself married again?

Comment

Originally posted by Abigail View Post
                  Yes that seems very silly. Wouldn't that be something like in Deuteronomy 24:1-4 , especially if the first wife had herself married again?
                  Old Covenant divorce is a bit different than more modern marriage. Paul insists that a divorced person remain separated, or be reconciled to their first spouse in 1 Corinthians 7.

Once someone has broken these commands (including Christ's command), the matter of repentance and reconciliation is one that is handled on a case by case basis, with a lot of prayer. The bible doesn't give us direct instruction about what to do, only that it was wrong to have done so. The idea that this relationship is akin to adultery should give everyone reason to pause, however.

Comment

Originally posted by themuzicman View Post
                    Old Covenant divorce is a bit different than more modern marriage. Paul insists that a divorced person remain separated, or be reconciled to their first spouse in 1 Corinthians 7.

Once someone has broken these commands (including Christ's command), the matter of repentance and reconciliation is one that is handled on a case by case basis, with a lot of prayer. The bible doesn't give us direct instruction about what to do, only that it was wrong to have done so. The idea that this relationship is akin to adultery should give everyone reason to pause, however.
                    Unless abandoned or left by an unbelieving spouse. 1 Corinthians 7:15 But if the unbeliever depart, let him depart. For a brother or sister is not under servitude in such cases. But God hath called us in peace.
                    A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                    George Bernard Shaw

Comment

A person on one site seems to believe that you should get a divorce if you're remarried as part of repentance;

You know Christy here's my take: If their Christians, Let it go. You don't know the reason for their original divorce. Most people know that my marriage to KingsGambit is my 2nd marriage after my first ended in a divorce. Our daughters one from this marriage one from my previous are just as much his, and it would not be fitting to divorce and be single, nor would it be okay for me to have remained in my other marriage and have my daughter subjected to her biological father's behavior. Its much better for a child to have a two parent home and believe me she's better off, ten times better off in whole family with consistent routine, religion, a sibling and stability.
                      A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                      George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
                        You know Christy here's my take: If their Christians, Let it go. You don't know the reason for their original divorce. Most people know that my marriage to KingsGambit is my 2nd marriage after my first ended in a divorce. Our daughters one from this marriage one from my previous are just as much his, and it would not be fitting to divorce and be single, nor would it be okay for me to have remained in my other marriage and have my daughter subjected to her biological father's behavior. Its much better for a child to have a two parent home and believe me she's better off, ten times better off in whole family with consistent routine, religion, a sibling and stability.
                        I'm not meaning to be a jerk. I'm worried because people close to me in my family have divorced and remarried and are now in happy relationships that they been in for years.

Comment

I'm not meaning to be a jerk. I'm worried because people close to me in my family have divorced and remarried and are now in happy relationships that they been in for years.
                          In their case I think Paul's advice to be content where you probably applies.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                            In their case I think Paul's advice to be content where you probably applies.
                            I don't understand what you typed, sorry. I hope that doesn't come across the wrong way.

Comment

Never mind I get what you typed now. I think you forgot to put are after you.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X