This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To Gary,

Please pull out of this debate. As you can see, I'm also an atheist, and I'm by no means a friend of winger type Christians on this forum. But you're not making a good case against what Nick is saying at all. You're using a lot of vagueness and red-herrings in this discussion that do you no favors. In case you didn't know, Nick is a NT scholar and professional theologian, so he's a got a good education on this topic. I've got my opinions on him but the man is no idiot and he knows a lot more than you or I on this issue, so you've got know the dance really well before you make a go of a debate with him. All you can do at this point is just be his little punching bag for several posts and then the Christian clan on this forum will get a good laugh.
    Last edited by Sea of red; 07-21-2015, 12:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sea of red View Post
      To Gary,

Please pull out of this debate. As you can see, I'm also an atheist, and I'm by no means a friend of winger type Christians on this forum. But you're not making a good case against what Nick is saying at all. You're using a lot of vagueness and red-herrings in this discussion that do you no favors. In case you didn't know, Nick is a NT scholar and professional theologian, so he's a got a good education on this topic. I've got my opinions on him but the man is no idiot and he knows a lot more than you or I on this issue, so you've got know the dance really well before you make a go of a debate with him. All you can do at this point is just be his little punching bag for several posts and then the Christian clan on this forum will get a good laugh.
      What's a "winger type Christian?" Just curious--I've never heard the term before.
      I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
        What's a "winger type Christian?" Just curious--I've never heard the term before.
        Winger is a reference to conservative activism. Just like a "fundamentalist" atheist is a very political atheist.

Comment

Originally posted by Sea of red View Post
          Winger is a reference to conservative activism. Just like a "fundamentalist" atheist is a very political atheist.
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Friends, can we please concentrate on setting up a debate between BP & AP? I think both parties are willing, and we'll all benefit from the interaction.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrawly View Post
              Friends, can we please concentrate on setting up a debate between BP & AP? I think both parties are willing, and we'll all benefit from the interaction.
              Honestly, I'm exceedingly grateful for the vote of confidence and your compliments, but let's let Nick worry about one debate, at a time. After he and Gary have had their discussion, if Nick is up for a further debate, I'd certainly be willing.
              "[Mathematics] is the revealer of every genuine truth, for it knows every hidden secret, and bears the key to every subtlety of letters; whoever, then, has the effrontery to pursue physics while neglecting mathematics should know from the start he will never make his entry through the portals of wisdom."
              --Thomas Bradwardine, De Continuo (c. 1325)

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                I just know Winger was a hair metal band.
                "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Gary is off to a bad start.

Comment

He has to assume the scientific method is the only possibility, and assumes that anything miraculous is impossible. Is that circular or is it circular?
                    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing Pythagoras View Post
                      Honestly, I'm exceedingly grateful for the vote of confidence and your compliments, but let's let Nick worry about one debate, at a time. After he and Gary have had their discussion, if Nick is up for a further debate, I'd certainly be willing.
                      Excellent. The debate ought to happen sooner or later - if Nick understandably doesn't wish to participate in two consecutive debates.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                        He has to assume the scientific method is the only possibility, and assumes that anything miraculous is impossible. Is that circular or is it circular?
                        How can one prove that the scientific method is the only valid way to learn truth by using the scientific method??? That's just plain begging the question.
                        If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                          How can one prove that the scientific method is the only valid way to learn truth by using the scientific method??? That's just plain begging the question.
                          How does one prove anything?

The fundamental problem is how does one identify truth? Our Christianity claims to be both historical and true. What type of evidence from history can one apply the scientific method?
                          . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

That's philosophy! Not the scientific method. The question of how we know things are true is a philosophical question.
                            If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

well. this seems like a trainwreck already. does this guy even have any credentials behind his name? i'm curious.
                              "It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
                              -Unknown

"Preach the gospel, and if necessary use words." - Most likely St.Francis

I find that evolution is the best proof of God.
                              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              I support the :
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Canadian View Post
                                well. this seems like a trainwreck already. does this guy even have any credentials behind his name? i'm curious.
                                No, he's just another deconvert Bart Ehrman can add to his list. From his blog, he doesn't seem well equipped to interact with scholarly material.
                                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                                sigpic
                                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X