The Sound of Silence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Sound of Silence

It is real quiet around here. Are online posting games a thing of the past?

Originally posted by Scorching Wizard View Post
    I hope not. I mean, Roll20 seems to be very popular these days, but I think we just need to get more members interested in play by post games.
    Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

Comment

No, it's just that no one seems to have the time or the interest on the new forum/
      "It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
      -Unknown

"Preach the gospel, and if necessary use words." - Most likely St.Francis

I find that evolution is the best proof of God.
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      I support the :
      sigpic

Comment

And someone hasn't started his game yet...
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Well, I read the online games that are here. Timely player participation seems to be a problem.

Comment

Sure, but that's a normal problem of pbp games. They take time and people have actual lives. A couple of the squirts had the temerity to graduate college.
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

I ran a game that lasted for years on this very site before the crash. To my surprise, this site had come back. My former name was Tanakh Keeper.

Comment

I ran a game that lasted for years on this very site before the crash. To my surprise, this site had come back. My former name was Tanakh Keeper.
                Ah TK! I had my suspicions. How has life been treating you?

It's been a while, hasn't it?
                "It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
                -Unknown

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                I support the :
                sigpic

Comment

TK! Good to see you!

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Canadian View Post
                    Ah TK! I had my suspicions. How has life been treating you?

It's been a while, hasn't it?
                    Yes, it's been three years. Life is good. How you doing Irate Canadian?

I still play role playing games in person, but I haven't played an online posting game since. I looked around here and the activity is no where near what it used to be.

IC from what I recall, didn't we play an M&M game together here? I had two M&M characters. One, an elementalist guy that specialized in glue effects. And two, a mentalist woman that could read minds and objects and phase through objects. Which was in your group?

Comment

Yes, it's been three years. Life is good. How you doing Irate Canadian?

I still play role playing games in person, but I haven't played an online posting game since. I looked around here and the activity is no where near what it used to be.

IC from what I recall, didn't we play an M&M game together here? I had two M&M characters. One, an elementalist guy that specialized in glue effects. And two, a mentalist woman that could read minds and objects and phase through objects. Which was in your group?
                      I don't believe we were in the same M&M game, I believe we were in a D&D game together at some poimt/

I'm fine, and yeah, we need more games running around here. Once I finish up work for this month, I'll start my game.
                      -Unknown

I support the :
                      sigpic

Comment

I am also probably going to start up a game. These boards should be far more suitable to my campaign concept than where I have been PbPing before. More specifically, the campaign themes are designed to provoke In-Character debate of morality, ethics, and perhaps even theology, but with the "laws of physics" and social context changed up enough that it should give the players a fresh perspective. I'm still triple-checking some fine details with Chaotic Void before I post a thread, so I will sharply limit the details I provide about the campaign for now.

This seems an opportune thread to ask about the wisdom of a certain policy I have:
                        I strongly prefer to have "back-up players" for each character. Usually this would be another character in the same game. If someone goes over 7 days between posts, the back-up player takes over until and unless the original player returns (and they may be written out of the game if the absence lasts long enough that I can easily do so). Naturally, during social scenes, the character will usually simply fall silent.

I've had great difficulty trying to get people to set these up on Giant in the Playground where I am currently running. Still, I feel that if someone has an absence that long (especially without notifying us in advance) that having their player subjected to the whims of another player (or me as the GM) is not unfair. Just because a commitment is online rather than face to face is not an excuse to keep it if at all possible, and if not then to at least give proper notice.

This requires the back-up player to know the character's abilities pretty well, but having such knowledge is a good thing in any case since my games tend to be highly tactical so knowing in detail what your teammates bring to the table can be very helpful.

I mention this for comment because it happens to be entirely opposite to the policy of Wildrow12, the GM of the "Wrath of the Peacemonger" game I played in on the previous instance of these boards. I'm trying to get a feel for if that is just a different GMing style, or if it is a bad idea. I can't tell if it has made my campaigns last longer or shorter than they otherwise would have on Giant in the Playground.

Comment

The normal ethical dilemma we face in campaigns is what to do about the female and infant monsters remaining in the cave.

Comment

The normal ethical dilemma we face in campaigns is what to do about the female and infant monsters remaining in the cave.
                            Heh, heh, heh.

Of the two versions of the same theme, the campaign idea I'm most likely to use takes that to the next level, meaning their are actually very good procedures for that sort of thing in the short term... but the long-term gets more than interesting enough to make up for it.

Comment

It would not conflict with the rules of Tweeb. In practical terms other players in the same game are going to be the best versed but they may have conflicting interests.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X