Announcement

Collapse

LDS - Mormonism Guidelines

Theists only.

Look! It's a bird, no it's a plane, no it's a bicycle built for two!

This forum is a debate area to discuss issues pertaining to the LDS - Mormons. This forum is generally for theists only, and is generaly not the area for debate between atheists and theists. Non-theists may not post here without first obtaining permission from the moderator of this forum. Granting of such permission is subject to Moderator discretion - and may be revoked if the Moderator feels that the poster is not keeping with the spirit of the World Religions Department.

Due to the sensitive nature of the LDS Temple Ceremonies to our LDS posters, we do not allow posting exact text of the temple rituals, articles describing older versions of the ceremony, or links that provide the same information. However discussion of generalities of the ceremony are not off limits. If in doubt, PM the area mod or an Admin

Non-theists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Christians Being Proactive About Mormonism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christians Being Proactive About Mormonism

USA Today: "CARMEL, Ind. -- With the opening of Indiana's first regional Mormon temple in Carmel, some out-of-state Christian opponents say they will set up a tent across the street to declare what they think is "the truth" about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

Utah-based Tri-Grace Ministries stirred controversy last week when it took out a 12-page advertising supplement in community newspapers in Carmel, Westfield and Zionsville that warn about the "deception" of the religion.

Now the group says it plans to hold an event to depict the multiple wives of Mormonism's founder, Joseph Smith, as the Mormon temple holds open house tours for the public. (The Mormon church officially renounced polygamy in 1890.)

"In a sense, we believe they are not telling people the truth," said Tri-Grace Ministries founder Chip Thompson. "They're not following what Jesus taught. It concerns us that Christians are being deceived by their message."

The tension dates back ages between Mormons and some Christians who reject Mormonism as non-Christian. But some say the strife is out of place in Carmel and see Tri-Grace Ministries' mission trip as a hateful attack on a minority religion."

I am so glad that Christians are being more proactive. New Mormon temples are accompanied by tons of advertising in the local papers, along with temple tours for the curious. Copies of the Book of Mormon and cult literature are given to tourists if they want (I think this still happens). Now that Mormonism is essentially losing a lot of members (most converts actually leave within the first year), these Mormon temple openings are a good method of proselytizing.

Most converts do not come from those with NO religious background, but from nominal Christians, or even faithful members of the Christian churches. One Church which has lost many members to the Mormons is the Baptist Church:

http://www.bradmelton.org/assets/Ten...rmon_notes.pdf

I'm not sure why the Baptists have been so hard hit, however they have. I'm of the opinion that many Baptists need some instruction in sound doctrine. They also need to have their pastors actually preach on Mormonism, because this predatory cult is knocking at the doors of Baptists and luring them into their cult. If these Baptists had known the truth about Mormonism, perhaps they would be less likely to become involved in Mormonism:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzixDQkdTTk

People don't have to be theologians to figure out that Mormonism has nothing to do with orthodox Christianity. Joseph Smith was a false prophet, married over 40 women, two as young as 14 years old. Generally this information alone turns people off. The polytheism of Mormonism, its work system of salvation, and its "extra" Scriptures are a sure tipoff that Mormonism is a dangerous cult which a Christian should stay away from. I urge Christian pastors to keep on top of this problem. No pastor should lose a church member to the LDS.
    Last edited by Doctrine Matters; 07-22-2015, 03:02 PM.

I have NEVER been in a Protestant church that gave a sermon on the Trinity or any other apologetic. And I'm a Protestant who has attended many denominations.

Comment

Meh... I preach on the Trinity and other issues frequently, but am more likely to discuss it in our Wednesday Night Family meetings. And it's not secret how I feel about Mormonsim, since the Mormon Church is just down the block from my Church, and I my wife and I have helped 5 couples leave Mormonism.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Meh... I preach on the Trinity and other issues frequently, but am more likely to discuss it in our Wednesday Night Family meetings. And it's not secret how I feel about Mormonsim, since the Mormon Church is just down the block from my Church, and I my wife and I have helped 5 couples leave Mormonism.
        God bless! Wednesday night is better than never! The ones who only arrend on Sunday mornings might be missing out though.

Comment

There are so many kinds of Baptist churches, it's hard to say why they leave. Some leave because they don't want to hear about hell.

Comment

Originally posted by Janice View Post
            There are so many kinds of Baptist churches, it's hard to say why they leave. Some leave because they don't want to hear about hell.
            I don't think I've once heard hell preached on from the pulpit in my 20+ years of attending a Baptist church.
            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

God bless! Wednesday night is better than never! The ones who only arrend on Sunday mornings might be missing out though.
              Maybe I wasn't clear ... I "preach" it on Sunday Mornings, but we "discuss" it on Wednesday nights.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                I don't think I've once heard hell preached on from the pulpit in my 20+ years of attending a Baptist church.
                It's been a long long time since I've "preached on hell" -- I'm more interested in giving them a reason to want to go to heaven than to avoid hell.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  It's been a long long time since I've "preached on hell" -- I'm more interested in giving them a reason to want to go to heaven than to avoid hell.
                  The New Testament doesn't really talk that much about it either. I think that if we're only trying to convert people based on their fear of avoiding hell, they're not going to truly get to understand what joy in Christ is like.
                  "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

The New Testament doesn't really talk that much about it either. I think that if we're only trying to convert people based on their fear of avoiding hell, they're not going to truly get to understand what joy in Christ is like.
                    And that's part of the whole package - it's not just about "fire insurance" - it's about living an "abundant life" here, then getting benefits that are out of this world!

Comment

Like I said, Baptist churches vary greatly. There are Southern Baptists, General Baptists, Free Will Baptists, Primitive Baptists, Independent Baptists, Reformed Baptists, Westboro Baptists, World Baptist Alliance, etc. Those are names I've heard, but I'm not sure if that last one is a denomination.

There are Mormons who have escaped the hellfire and brimstone sermons to accept a foreign god.

Comment

40 Christians join Mormonism for every Mormon who becomes a genuine follower of Christ...
                        http://www.bradmelton.org/assets/Ten...rmon_notes.pdf

Mormons are taught (brainwashed really) over and over about the evil doctrines of other churches, warned about the blessings they would forfeit if they left Mormonism, let alone that they would separated from spouses and family members in eternity, etc. Many who leave are convinced that if Mormonism is wrong so is every other religion.

Comment

Like I said, Baptist churches vary greatly. There are Southern Baptists, General Baptists, Free Will Baptists, Primitive Baptists, Independent Baptists, Reformed Baptists, Westboro Baptists, World Baptist Alliance, etc. Those are names I've heard, but I'm not sure if that last one is a denomination.

There are Mormons who have escaped the hellfire and brimstone sermons to accept a foreign god.
                          I'm fairly certain that "Westboro Baptists" is not a denomination, just a scam set up by Fred Phelps. You missed "Missionary Baptists," which are big in the Southern US, and have some odd beliefs (i.e., the "Trail of Blood"), and Seventh Day Baptists, who meet on Saturdays.
                          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                          sigpic
                          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                            I'm fairly certain that "Westboro Baptists" is not a denomination, just a scam set up by Fred Phelps. You missed "Missionary Baptists," which are big in the Southern US, and have some odd beliefs (i.e., the "Trail of Blood"), and Seventh Day Baptists, who meet on Saturdays.
                            ...Northern Baptists, General Association of Regular Baptists, Swedish Baptists, Deep Fried Baptists, Pan Fried Baptists, Stir Fried Baptists, Sauteed Baptists, Slow Smoked Baptists, Baptist Gumbo, Baptist Soup, Baptist Stew, Coconut Baptists, Baptists with Potato, Baptist Salad, Pineapple Baptists, Baptist Kabobs, Boiled Baptists, Broiled Baptists...... That - that's about it.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                              Thanks for the reminders. I guess Cow Poke covered the rest --- LOL!

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X