Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 26

Thread: Christians Being Proactive About Mormonism

  1. #11
    tWebber Janice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Posts
    66
    Amen (Given)
    3
    Amen (Received)
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    I don't think I've once heard hell preached on from the pulpit in my 20+ years of attending a Baptist church.

    Like I said, Baptist churches vary greatly. There are Southern Baptists, General Baptists, Free Will Baptists, Primitive Baptists, Independent Baptists, Reformed Baptists, Westboro Baptists, World Baptist Alliance, etc. Those are names I've heard, but I'm not sure if that last one is a denomination.

    There are Mormons who have escaped the hellfire and brimstone sermons to accept a foreign god.

  2. #12
    tWebber Janice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Posts
    66
    Amen (Given)
    3
    Amen (Received)
    17
    40 Christians join Mormonism for every Mormon who becomes a genuine follower of Christ...
    http://www.bradmelton.org/assets/Ten...rmon_notes.pdf


    Mormons are taught (brainwashed really) over and over about the evil doctrines of other churches, warned about the blessings they would forfeit if they left Mormonism, let alone that they would separated from spouses and family members in eternity, etc. Many who leave are convinced that if Mormonism is wrong so is every other religion.

  3. #13
    Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Inside the beltway
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    15,685
    Amen (Given)
    5015
    Amen (Received)
    9160
    Quote Originally Posted by Janice View Post
    Like I said, Baptist churches vary greatly. There are Southern Baptists, General Baptists, Free Will Baptists, Primitive Baptists, Independent Baptists, Reformed Baptists, Westboro Baptists, World Baptist Alliance, etc. Those are names I've heard, but I'm not sure if that last one is a denomination.

    There are Mormons who have escaped the hellfire and brimstone sermons to accept a foreign god.
    I'm fairly certain that "Westboro Baptists" is not a denomination, just a scam set up by Fred Phelps. You missed "Missionary Baptists," which are big in the Southern US, and have some odd beliefs (i.e., the "Trail of Blood"), and Seventh Day Baptists, who meet on Saturdays.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. St. John Chrysostom

    Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

  4. #14
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    39,282
    Amen (Given)
    8687
    Amen (Received)
    20129
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    I'm fairly certain that "Westboro Baptists" is not a denomination, just a scam set up by Fred Phelps. You missed "Missionary Baptists," which are big in the Southern US, and have some odd beliefs (i.e., the "Trail of Blood"), and Seventh Day Baptists, who meet on Saturdays.
    ...Northern Baptists, General Association of Regular Baptists, Swedish Baptists, Deep Fried Baptists, Pan Fried Baptists, Stir Fried Baptists, Sauteed Baptists, Slow Smoked Baptists, Baptist Gumbo, Baptist Soup, Baptist Stew, Coconut Baptists, Baptists with Potato, Baptist Salad, Pineapple Baptists, Baptist Kabobs, Boiled Baptists, Broiled Baptists...... That - that's about it.

    1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

  5. #15
    tWebber Janice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Posts
    66
    Amen (Given)
    3
    Amen (Received)
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    I'm fairly certain that "Westboro Baptists" is not a denomination, just a scam set up by Fred Phelps. You missed "Missionary Baptists," which are big in the Southern US, and have some odd beliefs (i.e., the "Trail of Blood"), and Seventh Day Baptists, who meet on Saturdays.
    Thanks for the reminders. I guess Cow Poke covered the rest --- LOL!

  6. Amen Cow Poke amen'd this post.
  7. #16
    tWebber Janice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Posts
    66
    Amen (Given)
    3
    Amen (Received)
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    It's been a long long time since I've "preached on hell" -- I'm more interested in giving them a reason to want to go to heaven than to avoid hell.
    BUT you know there are Baptist denominations that love scaring the bejeebers out of people with hell sermons.

  8. #17
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    39,282
    Amen (Given)
    8687
    Amen (Received)
    20129
    Quote Originally Posted by Janice View Post
    BUT you know there are Baptist denominations that love scaring the bejeebers out of people with hell sermons.
    I think that's a bit of a mis-characterization. I don't think they "love scaring" anybody, but that they sincerely believe that's effective at getting people to consider the consequences of hell.

    1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

  9. #18
    tWebber Janice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Posts
    66
    Amen (Given)
    3
    Amen (Received)
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I think that's a bit of a mis-characterization. I don't think they "love scaring" anybody, but that they sincerely believe that's effective at getting people to consider the consequences of hell.
    I did't mean to offend. To whom are they preaching? The members or the visitors?

  10. #19
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    39,282
    Amen (Given)
    8687
    Amen (Received)
    20129
    Quote Originally Posted by Janice View Post
    I did't mean to offend. To whom are they preaching? The members or the visitors?
    I grew up in an Independent Baptist Church, and it seemed whenever the Pastor saw there were "visitors", he'd preach harder on hell. Or, maybe he suspected somebody was lost, and "they needed it".

    He also preached on how liberal the Southern Baptists were. I decided maybe that's the group I needed to visit. So, I visited a local SBC Church, and, amazingly, the Pastor preached Jesus crucified, buried and risen again, and how to apply Scripture to living a better Christian life. And he never preached about how legalistic the Independent Baptists were.

    1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

  11. #20
    tWebber Janice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Posts
    66
    Amen (Given)
    3
    Amen (Received)
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I grew up in an Independent Baptist Church, and it seemed whenever the Pastor saw there were "visitors", he'd preach harder on hell. Or, maybe he suspected somebody was lost, and "they needed it".

    He also preached on how liberal the Southern Baptists were. I decided maybe that's the group I needed to visit. So, I visited a local SBC Church, and, amazingly, the Pastor preached Jesus crucified, buried and risen again, and how to apply Scripture to living a better Christian life. And he never preached about how legalistic the Independent Baptists were.
    I've attended both denominations briefly. My husband and I got our children away from the Independent Baptists quickly.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •