Announcement

Collapse

LDS - Mormonism Guidelines

Theists only.

Look! It's a bird, no it's a plane, no it's a bicycle built for two!

This forum is a debate area to discuss issues pertaining to the LDS - Mormons. This forum is generally for theists only, and is generaly not the area for debate between atheists and theists. Non-theists may not post here without first obtaining permission from the moderator of this forum. Granting of such permission is subject to Moderator discretion - and may be revoked if the Moderator feels that the poster is not keeping with the spirit of the World Religions Department.

Due to the sensitive nature of the LDS Temple Ceremonies to our LDS posters, we do not allow posting exact text of the temple rituals, articles describing older versions of the ceremony, or links that provide the same information. However discussion of generalities of the ceremony are not off limits. If in doubt, PM the area mod or an Admin

Non-theists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Christians Being Proactive About Mormonism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    It's been a long long time since I've "preached on hell" -- I'm more interested in giving them a reason to want to go to heaven than to avoid hell.
    BUT you know there are Baptist denominations that love scaring the bejeebers out of people with hell sermons.

Comment

Originally posted by Janice View Post
      BUT you know there are Baptist denominations that love scaring the bejeebers out of people with hell sermons.
      I think that's a bit of a mis-characterization. I don't think they "love scaring" anybody, but that they sincerely believe that's effective at getting people to consider the consequences of hell.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I think that's a bit of a mis-characterization. I don't think they "love scaring" anybody, but that they sincerely believe that's effective at getting people to consider the consequences of hell.
        I did't mean to offend. To whom are they preaching? The members or the visitors?

Comment

I did't mean to offend. To whom are they preaching? The members or the visitors?
          I grew up in an Independent Baptist Church, and it seemed whenever the Pastor saw there were "visitors", he'd preach harder on hell. Or, maybe he suspected somebody was lost, and "they needed it".

He also preached on how liberal the Southern Baptists were. I decided maybe that's the group I needed to visit. So, I visited a local SBC Church, and, amazingly, the Pastor preached Jesus crucified, buried and risen again, and how to apply Scripture to living a better Christian life. And he never preached about how legalistic the Independent Baptists were.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I grew up in an Independent Baptist Church, and it seemed whenever the Pastor saw there were "visitors", he'd preach harder on hell. Or, maybe he suspected somebody was lost, and "they needed it".

He also preached on how liberal the Southern Baptists were. I decided maybe that's the group I needed to visit. So, I visited a local SBC Church, and, amazingly, the Pastor preached Jesus crucified, buried and risen again, and how to apply Scripture to living a better Christian life. And he never preached about how legalistic the Independent Baptists were.
            I've attended both denominations briefly. My husband and I got our children away from the Independent Baptists quickly.

Comment

I've attended both denominations briefly. My husband and I got our children away from the Independent Baptists quickly.
              It really boils down to the Pastor in most Baptist churches. His attitude/philosophy/theology is what guides the church and sets the tone. My Independent Baptist Pastor (when I was a kid) was very 'authoritarian', and seemed to want you to know that - my SBC Pastor (as a slightly older kid) was more of a kind and loving shepherd.

Comment

It really boils down to the Pastor in most Baptist churches. His attitude/philosophy/theology is what guides the church and sets the tone. My Independent Baptist Pastor (when I was a kid) was very 'authoritarian', and seemed to want you to know that - my SBC Pastor (as a slightly older kid) was more of a kind and loving shepherd.
                I grew up essentially an independent fundamental Baptist. The first pastor I had there was great, and retired after 33 years in the pulpit there after growing the church from a handful to several hundred. The other pastors I had there were not so good, and weren't there nearly as long (the first led a church split). At the SBC church I attended before converting to Orthodoxy, the pastor is also great, and has been there for 30 years or so; he's not at all the reason I converted.
                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

It's been a long long time since I've "preached on hell" -- I'm more interested in giving them a reason to want to go to heaven than to avoid hell.
                  I like that. The Gospel isn't hell. Tell me about Jesus.

Comment

I give up! I get in trouble no matter where(other sites) I go and no matter what the topic. I'm about ready to never talk about religion again. I tried a non-religious site and now my computer won't log me in. The screen says the site took too long to load and is not available!

Comment

I give up! I get in trouble no matter where(other sites) I go and no matter what the topic. I'm about ready to never talk about religion again. I tried a non-religious site and now my computer won't log me in. The screen says the site took too long to load and is not available!
                      You may have picked up a virus. You might need to have an antivirus, or malware scan done.

Comment

Older computers are having a time keeping up with the newer web page scripting technologies. How old is your computer?
                        That's what
                        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X