Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

More Horror Movie Mischief

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Horror Movie Mischief

Why is it that even when the girl has enough sense to grab a flashlight and it miraculously has batteries and actually works, she never points it at the ceiling?

Why is it that the villain has perfect timing and/or luck until the final showdown when no matter how much damage he deals to the protagonist, something will go so horribly wrong that the villain ends up defeated?

Why is it that the more outlandish the villain the less likely that anyone other than some crazy old timer the protagonist just met has the slightest idea who the villain is or what he wants?
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Why does everyone turn their back on the monster/serial killer assuming that he's dead when he's already shown incredible resiliency, endurance and essentially an ability to regenerate? What's wrong with lopping his head off to make sure?

Why do the characters (a.k.a. "victims") always think that they're in a Scooby-Doo cartoon and insist on splitting up rather than staying in a group and arming themselves?

Why, if the characters do have the sense to arm themselves, does the monster always seem to have the psychic power to cause his targets to hallucinate and kill each other while thinking that they're fighting the monster?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
      Why is it that the villain has perfect timing and/or luck until the final showdown when no matter how much damage he deals to the protagonist, something will go so horribly wrong that the villain ends up defeated?
      That's not specific to horror movies; I've seen that in other genres as well. The reason: Who wants to watch a movie in which the villain wins?
      ~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight spam!

Comment

Why do the angst-ridden teenagers always decide that they just HAVE to have sex in a sketchy house amidst sketchy circumstances?

Why do the perpetrators of said sex always die painfully?

How do cars function perfectly until the precise moment that someone needs to escape from the killer, at which point the car instantly becomes a lemon?
        Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

The first Scream film actually touched on and made fun of a lot of these horror cliches. That's kinda what made it such an innovative horror film. Whedon's Cabin in the Woods examines and makes fun of some of these themes as well. Tucker and Dale vs. Evil does as well to some extent. Unfortunately, after all of that, pop horror directors like James Wan can't seem to figure it out, and retread these tired cliches without tongue in cheek. There are some good horror directors out there doing some very innovative stuff, but they're far and few between, and most of them have nothing when it comes to a budget.

Comment

While its not a horror movie example, the one that gets me is the Joker bank heist at the start of The Dark Knight. When he pulls the bus out of the bank right into a caravan of school buses, no one on the sidewalk or in another bus says, "Wait just a minute......"

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
              The first Scream film actually touched on and made fun of a lot of these horror cliches. That's kinda what made it such an innovative horror film. Whedon's Cabin in the Woods examines and makes fun of some of these themes as well. Tucker and Dale vs. Evil does as well to some extent. Unfortunately, after all of that, pop horror directors like James Wan can't seem to figure it out, and retread these tired cliches without tongue in cheek. There are some good horror directors out there doing some very innovative stuff, but they're far and few between, and most of them have nothing when it comes to a budget.
              An under-rated classic if there ever was one.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                An under-rated classic if there ever was one.
                Yeah, it's pretty funny stuff, but I prefer films like Evil Dead 2, Dead Alive, and Sean of the Dead, which in my opinion pull off the same sort of humor, but with a touch more class.

Comment

Yeah, it's pretty funny stuff, but I prefer films like Evil Dead 2, Dead Alive, and Sean of the Dead, which in my opinion pull off the same sort of humor, but with a touch more class.
                  IMHBAO Sean of the Dead was somewhat over-rated. But then maybe it is because I heard so many rave reviews that it didn't live up to expectations as a result.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    IMHBAO Sean of the Dead was somewhat over-rated. But then maybe it is because I heard so many rave reviews that it didn't live up to expectations as a result.
                    Ah, that could be. I felt that way about Edgar Wright's next film Hot Fuzz, which fans of Shaun of the Dead thought was the best thing since sliced bread. I thought it was dumb. But yeah, I went into Shaun of the Dead without knowing what to expect at all, and found myself both laughing and getting watery eyed throughout the film.

Comment

The important thing is that the Wayans brothers' parodies are awful and should be incinerated from the face of the Earth.
                      Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

Originally posted by fm93 View Post
                        The important thing is that the Wayans brothers' parodies are awful and should be incinerated from the face of the Earth.
                        Good luck with that...
                        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by fm93 View Post
                          Why do the angst-ridden teenagers always decide that they just HAVE to have sex in a sketchy house amidst sketchy circumstances?
                          You haven't been to enough college parties friend.
                          "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

Cabin in the Woods and Tucker and Dale vs. Evil are great.

Housebound is another great comedy horror. You ever wonder why, in a haunted house movie, the characters never just leave the house? Housebound has a good reason for this. Hilarious movie.
                            I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

"I kick ass for the Lord!"
                              I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment