Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Antichrist

Faith
    Papist XPian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darfius View Post
    Nice try, papist. The Masons themselves trace their descent from Egypt, and their secrets aren't about how to bake a good pie. I know your first pope was Simon Magus.
    That doesn't address what appears to be a reliance in your post on what appears to be stuff from Hislop. If you aren't relying on Hislop, you need only say so. As for my religious affiliation, it is immaterial to whether Hislop's account is correct or not. The Masons may claim Egyptian descent - but is the descent your post gives them supported by anything beyond the statement of it; and, if so, what is that support ? I don't think these are unreasonable questions.

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rushing Jaws View Post
    That doesn't address what appears to be a reliance in your post on what appears to be stuff from Hislop. If you aren't relying on Hislop, you need only say so. As for my religious affiliation, it is immaterial to whether Hislop's account is correct or not. The Masons may claim Egyptian descent - but is the descent your post gives them supported by anything beyond the statement of it; and, if so, what is that support ? I don't think these are unreasonable questions.
    I wouldn't bother. Darfius has completely jumped the shark.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

3. Amen Rushing Jaws, RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Papist XPian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    I wouldn't bother. Darfius has completely jumped the shark.
    I'm disappointed - I thought you were posting this Finding out what the source is of this idea that Simon Magus was bishop of Rome (and was confused with Simon Peter ?) would be interesting. I'm going take a wild guess and say that the claim of an Egyptian descent for the Masons is based on something like George Higgins' "Anacalypsis" (2 vols., 1836), or Helena Blavatsky's "Isis Unveiled", or something like that. "Anacalypsis" was popular with the Masons. A lot of esoteric, rather wild stuff today seems to be of 19th-century origin.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rushing Jaws View Post
    I am quite sure that "papist" is used as a term of endearment.

Also, you seem to think that the validity of a source has some bearing on the validity of the argument.

6. Amen Rushing Jaws amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Darfius has me curious. He says the Antichrist is already here.

Who is he, Darfius?

Obama? Trump? Putin? Joel Osteen?

Justin Beiber? I would believe that one.

Faith
    Papist XPian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by simplicio View Post
    I am quite sure that "papist" is used as a term of endearment.
    Only the OP knows his intentions. I see no point in speculating. Tone does not carry well in cyberspace, so misunderstanding of people's intentions is all too easy
    Also, you seem to think that the validity of a source has some bearing on the validity of the argument.
    ## Sometimes it can.

If a source is known to be generally reliable, that gives one at least a degree of confidence that it can - at least for some purposes, and to some extent - be relied upon. If, however, a source is known to be generally unreliable, info that seems to be based on it, though it may in fact be accurate, is likely to be treated with some reserve at least - and rightly so. This is not unfair, but prudent. Not prejudiced or bigoted - though both of those are dangers. Being aware of them is half the victory over them.

If my argument were based on this reasoning: "X is an unreliable person, therefore he can't be believed", your comment would be unanswerable. That is not my argument. The point is that if a book has a reputation for inaccuracy, it is not a good source to base an argument on. Hislop's book bases a lot of its argument on bad etymology - he mistakes "Chaldee", IOW Aramaic, for the language spoken in Mesopotamia. There were two of these, not one: Sumerian, and Akkadian. The two are completely unrelated. Although both Akkadian & Aramaic are Semitic languages, they are no more the same language than French & English are.

If you are accusing me of the genetic fallacy, Hislop's book is in part built on that fallacy. There is a lot wrong with Hislop's book - I don't really like discussing it, because its author, who died in about 1865, is in no position to correct any of its faults; I don't think it's fair to criticise an author who cannot answer back.