Announcement

Collapse

LDS - Mormonism Guidelines

Theists only.

Look! It's a bird, no it's a plane, no it's a bicycle built for two!

This forum is a debate area to discuss issues pertaining to the LDS - Mormons. This forum is generally for theists only, and is generaly not the area for debate between atheists and theists. Non-theists may not post here without first obtaining permission from the moderator of this forum. Granting of such permission is subject to Moderator discretion - and may be revoked if the Moderator feels that the poster is not keeping with the spirit of the World Religions Department.

Due to the sensitive nature of the LDS Temple Ceremonies to our LDS posters, we do not allow posting exact text of the temple rituals, articles describing older versions of the ceremony, or links that provide the same information. However discussion of generalities of the ceremony are not off limits. If in doubt, PM the area mod or an Admin

Non-theists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The Decline of Mormonism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Decline of Mormonism

Mormonism has had its hay day, but those days are over. People grow up intellectually. They don't buy into modern "prophets" who supposedly speak for God. They've seen the Koresh and Jones debacles. They are far more sophisticated than early credulous followers of Joe Smith - education does count. Here are some reasons Mormonism is on its way out:

1. The internet has exposed many things about Mormonism that stop people dead in their tracks if they are considering it as a religious choice.
    2. Mormonism does not appeal to those with any intellectual capabilities. It appeals to the "gut" and to the "warm fuzzyists," but not to thinking people.
    3. Mormonism stands or falls with Joseph Smith - and he has been proven to be a liar, a womanizer (look at the "essays") and somebody that people of today really don't consider to be the idolatrous object worthy of praise which Mormons have always imputed to Smith.
    4. Young people on the whole aren't into the restrictions and demands Mormonism imposes.
    5. White Disneyworld type temples turn off a lot of people in today's economy where you have so many homeless and needy.
    6. Thanks to Newnamenoah, Mormon temple rites have been exposed and are seen by many as a Masonic-based charade. Freemasonry was the model of the temple rites, and it's in decline as well.

That's just some of the things I can think of off the top of my head.
    Last edited by Doctrine Matters; 07-26-2015, 11:47 AM.

Actually, there are still a lot of converts into mormonism. However I think Mormonism has made an attempt to go more "mainstream" so much so that it looks like Catholicism to outsiders and that's where its majority of new converts come from (cafeteria catholics.) It also sort of makes the attempt to bury its cult like past, so much so that no one really denies its so called secrets, it just kind of rolls with the mains stream now it appears.
    A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
    George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Mormonism is still booming numbers-wise so it remains to be seen whether these will play out. Roger Olson's (a Baptist who does not consider Mormons Christians) prediction is interesting. He thinks Mormonism will head in a more orthodox direction in coming decades.

http://www.christianpost.com/news/ba...vation-140518/
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
        Mormonism is still booming numbers-wise so it remains to be seen whether these will play out. Roger Olson's (a Baptist who does not consider Mormons Christians) prediction is interesting. He thinks Mormonism will head in a more orthodox direction in coming decades.

Like lose the sci-fi/fantasy element of human aliens that can turn into gods given the right conditions? Wait, did I just make another joke about aliens with superpowers that look just like humans?
        If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
          Like lose the sci-fi/fantasy element of human aliens that can turn into gods given the right conditions? Wait, did I just make another joke about aliens with superpowers that look just like humans?
          That would be a good start, yes.

I think it's highly unlikely, but there is a precedent for an entire cult going orthodox (the Worldwide Church of God becoming Grace Communion International). However, it was much, much smaller than the LDS.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
            Actually, there are still a lot of converts into mormonism. However I think Mormonism has made an attempt to go more "mainstream" so much so that it looks like Catholicism to outsiders and that's where its majority of new converts come from (cafeteria catholics.) It also sort of makes the attempt to bury its cult like past, so much so that no one really denies its so called secrets, it just kind of rolls with the mains stream now it appears.
            The average convert lasts less than a year. The "growth" is mostly in third world countries where Mormon "missionaries" capitalize on the hard work of Christian missionaries who have preached the Gospel. My daughter and family do missionary work in Zambia and the Mormons will come in and lure the poor new Christians away. Also, Mormons tend to have more children than non-Mormons, and new babies are projected by the cult to be members, and are counted as such, even though they aren't baptized until age 8. If a person does not show up at a LDS Chapel for years and years, he is still counted as a member, even though he has left and is attending the Calvary Chapel down the street - a person must resign formerly to get off the membership rolls.
            Last edited by Doctrine Matters; 08-02-2015, 02:31 PM.

Comment

I read that article and actually responded to it on Baptist News. It's simply not true. Mormonism hasn't become "more" Christian at all. It retains all of its core doctrines. It still teaches that God is an exalted man from another planet and that Jesus was the first spirit born to "heavenly father" and one of his wives. Satan being the second. Mormonism has simply changed its appearance. Hard liners like Dr. Peterson are no longer in control, and new, more charming, "apologists" have taken their place. It's a white wash. Their doctrinal stance has not changed at all. The Worldwide Church of God actually abandoned Arianism and embraced the Trinity. The Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of LDS has now become more Trinitarian and closer to orthodoxy. The Mormons put on lipstick and everybody thinks they've changed.

Regarding the cult's growth, see: http://www.mrm.org/fastest-growing-church
              Last edited by Doctrine Matters; 08-02-2015, 02:11 PM.

Comment

From a Free Republic website coverage of a news segment dealing with the issue:

"From the news segment: A new report quotes an LDS general authority who said more members are falling away today than any time in the past 175 years...according to a recent Reuters article citing LDS General Authority Marlin K. Jensen, for the church as a whole, the record in going in a different direction. Elder Jensen told the news outlet times have changed, and "attrition has accelerated in the last five or 10 years." Some church members ABC 4 talked to said they see the faithful leaving. "I'm from Chile and a lot of people just stop attending, they take it a little bit too casual," said Francisco Jerez, LDS Church member. So how bad is it getting? Right now there are more than 14 million members of the church worldwide. But according to the article, sociologists estimate active membership may as few as only five million."

Comment

If it was started by a true prophet of God instead of Joseph Smith, they wouldn't need to change their teachings and temple ordinances to keep converts or attract new ones.

Comment

I find it interesting that you equate people growing intellectually to the rejection of modern prophets. Seems odd that a Christian would make the case for increased intelligence necessarily means a rejection of gospel truths.

Comment

Originally posted by Janice View Post
                      If it was started by a true prophet of God instead of Joseph Smith, they wouldn't need to change their teachings and temple ordinances to keep converts or attract new ones.
                      Perhaps they need a Paul-like figure to stimulate the religion and make it grow.

Comment

Originally posted by Scorching Wizard View Post
                        Perhaps they need a Paul-like figure to stimulate the religion and make it grow.
                        They had one. Two actually. Brigham Young and John Taylor.
                        That's what
                        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Catherine Aurelia View Post
                          I find it interesting that you equate people growing intellectually to the rejection of modern prophets. Seems odd that a Christian would make the case for increased intelligence necessarily means a rejection of gospel truths.
                          The rejection of "modern prophets" of Mormonism is more about realizing their false doctrines than about growing in intellect. There are no "gospel truths" in Mormonism. Every doctrine pilfered from Christianity is warped by others that make them internally incoherent.
                          That's what
                          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Edited by a Moderator

Moderated By: Zymologist

The "LDS - Mormonism" section is theist only--see here. Thanks.

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
                            Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

Last edited by Zymologist; 09-04-2015, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Doctrine Matters View Post
                              I read that article and actually responded to it on Baptist News. It's simply not true. Mormonism hasn't become "more" Christian at all. It retains all of its core doctrines. It still teaches that God is an exalted man from another planet and that Jesus was the first spirit born to "heavenly father" and one of his wives. Satan being the second. Mormonism has simply changed its appearance. Hard liners like Dr. Peterson are no longer in control, and new, more charming, "apologists" have taken their place. It's a white wash. Their doctrinal stance has not changed at all. The Worldwide Church of God actually abandoned Arianism and embraced the Trinity. The Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of LDS has now become more Trinitarian and closer to orthodoxy. The Mormons put on lipstick and everybody thinks they've changed.

Regarding the cult's growth, see: http://www.mrm.org/fastest-growing-church
                              I tend to agree that it would be difficult to retain the trappings of, really, anything and move toward orthodoxy. Maybe with an extreme form of accomodationism but I just don't see that happening with the majority of believers.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X