Announcement

Collapse

LDS - Mormonism Guidelines

Theists only.

Look! It's a bird, no it's a plane, no it's a bicycle built for two!

This forum is a debate area to discuss issues pertaining to the LDS - Mormons. This forum is generally for theists only, and is generaly not the area for debate between atheists and theists. Non-theists may not post here without first obtaining permission from the moderator of this forum. Granting of such permission is subject to Moderator discretion - and may be revoked if the Moderator feels that the poster is not keeping with the spirit of the World Religions Department.

Due to the sensitive nature of the LDS Temple Ceremonies to our LDS posters, we do not allow posting exact text of the temple rituals, articles describing older versions of the ceremony, or links that provide the same information. However discussion of generalities of the ceremony are not off limits. If in doubt, PM the area mod or an Admin

Non-theists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The Decline of Mormonism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by seven7up View Post
    He knew that Elohim was a plural Hebrew noun.
    You can back that up with evidence, right?
    "Jehovah" is the title for God that Jesus Christ "inherited" from God the Father from before the creation of the world.

-7up
    "Jehovah" is a transliteration of YHWH via Latin and German with the vowels for Adonai. The KJV misread it, and Joseph Smith followed it in his error, just like the Jehovah's Witnesses.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I am and I already demonstrated to you that I am looking at ALL of the evidence, rather than this one quote of "boasting" taken out of context.

Again, it is VERY clear from many, many quotes from Joseph Smith that he believed that he depended on Christ for his salvation. All of his teachings showed that Joseph believed himself to be a flawed human being and he believed and taught that Jesus Christ was a sinless and Divine being. This is SO CLEAR, that any attempt of portraying this "boasting" seriously simply shows that you are not a serious investigator of Joseph Smith's teachings.

-7up
      It is quite clear from the context you gave that Joseph Smith at best misunderstood what Paul meant by "boasting," since Smith's boasting is clearly of a different character: "I shall always beat them..."; "I will hold on and fly over them"; "I am the only man that has ever been able to keep a whole church together since the days of Adam." Paul never says anything comparable to these genuine boasts. Joseph Smith is boasting in his strength; Paul is "boasting" in his weakness. Are you blind, that you cannot see such fundamental differences?
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I am and I already demonstrated to you that I am looking at ALL of the evidence, rather than this one quote of "boasting" taken out of context.
        But you fail to take his whole life in context - the womanizing, greed (starting his own bank), bilking his own people out of their land and possessions, preaching against booze, but running a bar in his own hotel, prancing around as a self-made general, making himself the grand poobah of the Masons... He was egocentric, not Christ-centric.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Anti-mormons got busted on the thread by attempting to to take a phrase out of context (the Moses / Aaron mouthpiece scenario).

When you do get busted and it is clearly explained, you just turn around and say ...."Uh uh, um ... You guys are the ones ...."

Just admit that the criticism against Joseph was not valid and the phrase was obviously taken out of context. You look like a fool otherwise.

-7up
          Smith was a false prophet and an egotist. It's sad you got sucked into his web.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
            It is quite clear from the context you gave that Joseph Smith at best misunderstood what Paul meant by "boasting," since Smith's boasting is clearly of a different character: "I shall always beat them..."; "I will hold on and fly over them"; "I am the only man that has ever been able to keep a whole church together since the days of Adam." Paul never says anything comparable to these genuine boasts. Joseph Smith is boasting in his strength; Paul is "boasting" in his weakness. Are you blind, that you cannot see such fundamental differences?
            Exactly, Paul it was obvious that Paul was uncomfortable in his "boasting" ... "Are they ministers of Christ? (I speak as a fool) I am more; in labours more abundant, in stripes above measure, in prisons more frequent, in deaths oft..."

Comment

He knew that Elohim was a plural Hebrew noun.
              No it isn't. The verb makes a Hebrew noun ending in "-im" become plural or singular, but on its own, elohim is not a "plural noun" in Hebrew.

"Jehovah" is the title for God that Jesus Christ "inherited" from God the Father from before the creation of the world.
              And you can document this specifically with official LDS scripture, right?
              That's what
              - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
              - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
              - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Anti-mormons got busted on the thread by attempting to to take a phrase out of context (the Moses / Aaron mouthpiece scenario).

When you do get busted and it is clearly explained, you just turn around and say ...."Uh uh, um ... You guys are the ones ...."

Just admit that the criticism against Joseph was not valid and the phrase was obviously taken out of context. You look like a fool otherwise.

-7up
                I did not take anything out of context. We're talking about the same man who said that no one save perhaps Christ has done for humanity as much as he did. I also resent you calling me an Anti-Mormon. I love Mormons and I'm still friends with a few of them in the real world. It's the doctrines that I reject. Please get your facts straight.
                I am Punkinhead.

"I have missed you, Oh Grand High Priestess of the Order of the Stirring Pot"

~ Cow Poke aka CP aka Creacher aka ke7ejx's apprentice....

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X