Announcement

Collapse

Unorthodox Theology 201 Guidelines

Theists only.

This forum area is primarily for persons who would identify themselves as Christians whether or not their theology is recognized within the mainstream or as orthodox though other theists may participate with moderator permission. Therefore those that would be restricted from posting in Christianity 201 due to a disagreement with the enumerated doctrines, ie the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment may freely post here on any theological subject matter. In this case "unorthodox" is used in the strict sense of a person who denies what has been declared as universal essentials of the historic Christian faith. Examples would be adherents to Oneness, Full Preterists, Unitarian Universalist Christians, Gnostics, Liberal Christianity, Christian Science to name a few.

The second purpose will be for threads on subjects, which although the thread starter has no issue with the above doctrines, the subject matter is so very outside the bounds of normative Christian doctrine totally within the leadership's discretion that it is placed here. In so doing, no judgment or offense is intended to be placed on the belief of said person in the above-doctrines. In this case "unorthodox" is used in a much looser sense of "outside the norms" - Examples of such threads would be pro-polygamy, pro-drug use, proponents of gay Christian churches, proponents of abortion.

The third purpose is for persons who wish to have input from any and all who would claim the title of Christian even on subjects that would be considered "orthodox."

The philosophy behind this area was to recognize that there are persons who would identify themselves as Christian and thus seem out of place in the Comparative Religions Forum, but yet in keeping with our committment here to certain basic core Christian doctrines. Also, it allows threads to be started by those who would want to still be identified as Christian with a particular belief that while not denying an essential is of such a nature that the discussion on that issue belongs in this section or for threads by persons who wish such a non-restricted discussion.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

37818: YHWH (1 or 3)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 37818: YHWH (1 or 3)

This is a split from here.

Originally posted by 37818
    #2. Do you or do you not believe YHWH is the Father, Son of God and the Holy Spirit? That the Persons, God the Father, Son of God and Holy Spirit are YHWH? Yes or no.
    Originally posted by apostoli
    #4.1. Do Christians baptise in the name (singular) of the Father, Son & Spirit? Three distinct persons (hypostases), one name.
    #5.1. No response from 37818
    #4.2. Remember, it is you who denied Genesis 19:24 referred to two persons (hypostases) = the YHWH in heaven and the one residing on earth whom Abraham recognised as YHWH (Genesis 18).
    #5.2. So because I affirmed they where the same YHWH, not two YHWH's. You conflate my argument of one deity with persons.
    #4.3 Also, have you not read that no one has ever seen God and lived, and yet Abraham spoke with him face to face and provided him (the YHWH residing on earth) with refereshment. (Genesis 18)
    #5.3. Yes. Since it is the only-begotten Son who appears (John 1:18; John 14:6).
    #6. Guess you don't realise you are contradicting yourself again! Read and think upon what you have written...
    #7. Ah, quote me. An let us address said contradiction.
    Read your post #5, your remarks are self contradictory, especially as a response to my post #4.

In post #3 you demanded as an intended provocation (I had a good laugh at your pretense of outrage): "Do you or do you not believe YHWH is the Father, Son of God and the Holy Spirit? That the Persons, God the Father, Son of God and Holy Spirit are YHWH? Yes or no."

I replied in post #4 "Do Christians baptise in the name (singular) of the Father, Son & Spirit? Three distinct persons (hypostases), one name." You failed to respond to that point. If you had responded to that remark, you probably wouldn't have contradicted yourself in your post #5.

Originally posted by apostoli View Post
    This is a split from here.

Read your post #5, your remarks are self contradictory, especially as a response to my post #4.
    No. It is your contradiction, not mine.
    In post #3 you demanded as an intended provocation (I had a good laugh at your pretense of outrage): "Do you or do you not believe YHWH is the Father, Son of God and the Holy Spirit? That the Persons, God the Father, Son of God and Holy Spirit are YHWH? Yes or no."
    In other words you are not going to answer.
    I replied in post #4 "Do Christians baptise in the name (singular) of the Father, Son & Spirit? Three distinct persons (hypostases), one name." You failed to respond to that point. If you had responded to that remark, you probably wouldn't have contradicted yourself in your post #5.
    You expect me to answer you. But you refuse answer what I had asked.

Give a direct short answer first. Then if you feel the need, give your long answer to explain your short answer. And fell free to still ask your questions.

The Son of God is YHWH. John 8:56; Genesis 12:7.
    Last edited by 37818; 07-26-2015, 03:52 PM.
    . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
      No. It is your contradiction, not mine.
      Nope it is your contradiction, you have been made too blind to actually see it (You remind me of Jesus' words at Matthew 13:15 ).

In other words you are not going to answer.
      I already have answered you = 4.1. Three distinct persons (hypostases), one name.

Have a read of Exodus 6:3 "I appeared to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, as God Almighty, but by My name YHWH I was not known to them". So according to YHWH what was the name people called him before he sent Moses to the Isaelites? Hint: it wasn't YHWH!!!

You expect me to answer you. But you refuse answer what I had asked.
      I've already answered you, but as usual you have ignored my answer. Read scripture, pray to the Holy Spirit to guide you and if you are sincere the Spirit might heal your eyes so that can see my answer, and heal your ears / mind so you can listen to my answer.

Give a direct short answer first. Then if you feel the need, give your long answer to explain your short answer. And fell free to still ask your questions.
      Over the years I've answered your questions directly, and each time you have ignored them and jumped from subject to another. So I've figured out that you only listen to yourself, so I figure the only way to get you to lfocus on my answers is to make you apply your own intelligence (in charity, I'm assuming you are capable of reasoning from the scriptures). Now, walk through what you had proposed and see if you can deduce what I saw as a contradiction...

The Son of God is YHWH. John 8:56; Genesis 12:7.
      Acrually John 8:40 with Genesis 18.

The texts you cite have no direct correlation outside of your own mind. Naive evangelist might link John 8:56 with Exodus 3:14, but most Christian scholars who study scripture equate it with texts in Isaiah - these point to Jesus as the Messiah, which Jesus was indirectly claiming to be when he says "Unless you believe ego eimi..."

I've already discussed this with you, but as usual you appear to have blocked your ears / mind to truthful facts based on scripture and have ignored what I related.
      Last edited by apostoli; 07-27-2015, 05:22 AM.

Comment

Do you or do you not believe YHWH is the Father, Son of God and the Holy Spirit? That the Persons, God the Father, Son of God and Holy Spirit are YHWH? Yes or no.
        Do Christians baptise in the name (singular) of the Father, Son & Spirit? Three distinct persons (hypostases), one name.
        You didn't answer yes or no to my yes and no question. Referring to a post number does not show any contradiction. Maybe someone else who agrees with you might be kind enough to quote me. And show and explain the contradiction.
        If one relies on scripture for guidance your question can't be answered yes or no. There are implications. For instance: was the spokeman of YHWH who identified himself as the God of the Israelites forefathers and gave Moses his name as "eyeh"="YHWH" to announce to the Israelites, one or three persons? I nominate one.

I see no reason why the three distinct hypostases (three distinct persons) in the Godhead, the Father, Son and Spirit, couldn't each possess the same name. Names are personal possessions of a hypostasis (person) which can change, not properties of an ousia which can't change. Has the ID of the three changed? Phillipians 2:9 leads me to think so.

_____________________________-

As for baptizing in the name[singular] of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. I see no problem with that truth.
        Then you accept there are three persons each of whom have the name YHWH (or Jesus / Yeshua)?

If so, why don't you accept that there was a hypostasis in heaven named YHWH and a hypostasis on earth named YHWH when we read at Genesis 19:24 "YHWH rained on Sodom and Gomor'rah brimstone and fire from YHWH out of heaven (RSV).

You insist that "I am [he]" by Jesus in John 8:24 is not Himself referring to Himself being the "I AM" of Exodus 3:14.
        I don't insist anything. However, most Biblical scholars all point to texts in Isaiah which prophesied the Messiah. The context of the verses proves without a doubt what Jesus was talking about = which was the Jewish expectation.

I read your arguments. You are wrong.
        Not my arguments, it is the argument of informed Biblical scholars who have read the LXX in Greek, and have studied Isaiah and John 8 (In the Gospels Jesus was fond of hinting at Isaiah's prophecies concerning the Messiah). So I have support, you are just crapping on as usual...

Jesus statement "that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am [he], ye shall die in your sins," has everything to do with believing, not only Him to be the Christ, but God in the flesh (John 1:10 etc).
        John 1:10? "He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not."

Why didn't you cite John 1:11? It has more relevance. After all Jesus priority as a Jew was the Jews, and the salvation promises were made to the Jews, and Jesus ministry was amongst the Jews, "and his own received him not" (cp Jn 4:22).

The Jews had no expectation that God would come for a visit, nor did they have an expectation that their salvation was dependent on God visiting. The prophets are totally silent on such matters. However, Isaiah is clear on the coming of the Messiah saying to the Jews a a child would be born who would be called mighty God and everlasting Father...for the zeal of YHWH of hosts will perform this (Isaiah 9:6-7).

Not once in the Gospels did Jesus as much as hint that he was God, he didn't even claim to be the Son of God in the sense you and I give the phrase! He simply claimed to be doing the work of his Father. So on their understanding of that remark the Jews picked up stones to stone him. Jesus responded to their action saying" Many good works have I shown you from my Father; for which of those works do you stone me? The Jews answered Him, saying: For a good work we do not stone You, but for blasphemy, and because You, being a Man, make Yourself God. Jesus answered them: Is it not written in your law, ‘I said, “You are gods"' ? If He called them gods, to whom the word of God came (and the Scripture cannot be broken), do you say of Him whom the Father sanctified and sent into the world, ‘You are blaspheming,’ because I said, ‘I am the Son of God’. If I do not do the works of My Father, do not believe Me; but if I do, though you do not believe Me, believe the works, that you may know and believe that the Father is in Me, and I in Him. (John 10-23-39).

So if His deity is not meant, then as for dying in one's sins, denying His deity has nothing to do with it. Is that what you really think?
        More or less, though I believe Jesus died in his complete hypostasis as Son of God and son of man. Ultimately, I accept what scripture states. Jesus promised Peter he would be given the keys to the kingdom, even though Jesus knew Peter would deny him three times. I assume you acknowledge that the Son of God and the prophesied son of man are the same person (ie: Jesus Christ). Have a think on Luke 12:8-10 "I say to you, whoever confesses Me before men, him the Son of Man also will confess before the angels of God. “But he who denies Me before men will be denied before the angels of God. And anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man, it will be forgiven him; but to him who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit, it will not be forgiven".

Jesus didn't come to the Jews (or us for that matter) as God but as one of our brethren (Hebrews 2:14-18 also consider Hebrews 2:6-8), if he hadn't his sacrifice was futile. Thus as our Kinsman redeemer he died and exchanged himself as God-man for our freedom (also see Romans 3:25-26; Colossians 2:9).
        Last edited by apostoli; 07-27-2015, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Edited by a Moderator

Moderated By: Zymologist

In future, please get permission before posting in this area. Thank you.

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
          Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

Last edited by Zymologist; 04-18-2017, 09:12 AM.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X