Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Being Black in America.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Being Black in America.

Some apologists for the relationship between Whites and Blacks in the South cite the problems faced by Blacks and other minorities in the North. The history of 'White Supremacy' for the whole country is unfortunately an embarrassing tragedy of American Culture and history, but not an apologist reason to 'White Wash' the problems of Southern Slavery.

This thread will address primarily the view of Blacks growing up black in America, and some discussion as how other minorities were treated in US history.

Source: http://rodric29.hubpages.com/hub/The-Truth-about-Being-Black-in-America

Effects of Slavery

African Americans or Black decedents of Slaves are one of two groups of unique minorities in the United States of America--the other being the American Aboriginal or Native American.

The peculiarity of African Americans has nothing to do with the origin of this minority constituting about 13 to 15 percent of the US population or the physical characteristics that typically identify Blacks because Blacks from other nations have those same identifying marks.

What distinguishes the Blacks of America from other groups who immigrated to the United States of America?

Blacks did not enter the US by choice. Every other group of America can reverence the memory of pioneer ancestors who traveled bravely across the ocean or the great Western plains willing to forge new lives and build something unique--putting aside old culture and adapting to new.

Other heritages that made the US great gave up their languages to become Americans.

The fact that African Americans are called African at all is an indication of the limited explanation of this group's history. The nationalities of Black American ancestors are a mystery for the great majority of the group.

Slavery stripped this group of the choice to decide to merge with American culture. Slaves were cattle to the slavers, and treated as such.

There would be no Walimi Americans or Bangelima Americans, just African because the tribes and nations were intermixed preventing camaraderie through language and national identity. There would be no melting pot of exotic names because the tribes people were renamed and branded as nonhuman and soulless.

Irish immigrants spread across Pennsylvania and Italians dominated New York creating new American versions of the old country, for example. What of the African?

The fact that African Americans are called African at all is an indication of the limited explanation of this group's history. The nationalities of Black American ancestors are a mystery for the great majority of the group.

Slavery stripped this group of the choice to decide to merge with American culture. Slaves were cattle to the slavers, and treated as such.

© Copyright Original Source

Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Yes, that was terrible for the slaves. No one here is a slave now. I was born in America, and thus stripped of the choice to decide to merge with American culture, just like the descendents of slaves. We both have two options: either we can bemoan our fate or make the best of the situation in which we find ourselves.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
      Yes, that was terrible for the slaves. No one here is a slave now. I was born in America, and thus stripped of the choice to decide to merge with American culture, just like the descendents of slaves. We both have two options: either we can bemoan our fate or make the best of the situation in which we find ourselves.
      Historically Blacks have not had that easy choice.
      Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
      Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Actually the problem is your deep seated Hatred of Southerners.

You might want to consider counseling,
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

What is a "Bein Black?"
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

I don't know what this thread is about. Slavery in America is a complicated issue. Not all blacks that came to America were slaves. So you could say some blacks can be distinguished from other groups in that way, but not all. This looks like nothing other then one person's opinion on "The Truth about Being Black in America". Interestingly, I have yet to have anyone ask me what it's like being black in America.
            "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

Originally posted by Jesse View Post
              I don't know what this thread is about. Slavery in America is a complicated issue. Not all blacks that came to America were slaves. So you could say some blacks can be distinguished from other groups in that way, but not all. This looks like nothing other then one person's opinion on "The Truth about Being Black in America". Interestingly, I have yet to have anyone ask me what it's like being black in America.
              What I've always found interesting is that many if not most of the blacks that have recently come to the U.S. from the Caribbean came from areas that historians universally agree where conditions were much harsher and yet don't seem nearly as hung up on the fact that their ancestors were kept in bondage.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

To be fair, unless your pic is your avatar, it's not something a poster would necessarily know. If I had even known, I'd forgotten, to tell the truth. I know we have a number of African Americans who post here (or in the old Tweb) but it's not something I keep up with.

I pretty much assume you're human until proven otherwise and worry about what flavor you come in if you mention it.

ETA:

So, what IS it like to be black in America?
                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                  To be fair, unless your pic is your avatar, it's not something a poster would necessarily know. If I had even known, I'd forgotten, to tell the truth. I know we have a number of African Americans who post here (or in the old Tweb) but it's not something I keep up with.

I pretty much assume you're human until proven otherwise and worry about what flavor you come in if you mention it.
                  Oh no, I meant through my life. I have had no one ask me this type of question. Even though a lot of people enjoy pontificating on such questions.
                  "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                    So, what IS it like to be black in America?
                    Pretty awesome I must say. With what I know of where my family came from, I am glad I ended up here and not there. I grew up in a melting pot town that wasn't very P.C., so I find a lot of these discussions rather silly.

Comment

I just always find it strange when whites get all hyped up about us Blacks once being "slaves".
                      Last edited by Cerealman; 07-28-2015, 02:48 PM.
                      "Kahahaha! Let's get lunatic!"-Add LP
                      "And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin is pride that apes humility"-Samuel Taylor Coleridge
                      Oh ye of little fiber. Do you not know what I've done for you? You will obey. ~Cerealman for Prez.

Comment

Pretty awesome I must say. With what I know of where my family came from, I am glad I ended up here and not there. I grew up in a melting pot town that wasn't very P.C., so I find a lot of these discussions rather silly.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Cerealman View Post
                          I just always find a strange when whites get all hyped up about us Blacks once being "slaves".
                          Not sure what is up with the constant reminders as well. I am sure everyone knows by now.

Comment

I just always find a strange when whites get all hyped up about us Blacks once being "slaves".

It's the shame factor. We like to think of our ancestors as morally upright - and having our same values - and the knowing that it wasn't so is embarrassing.

And it's the pride factor - our ancestors may have messed up bad but we're better than them and wouldn't do such of a thing - kinda like the Pharisees talking about the prophets, really.

And yes, you can find both at work in the same person.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

A lot of whites (particularly liberal ones like Shuny) are full of self loathing and the slavery fixation allows them to vicariously whip themselves by whipping on the slave owners.
                              "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment