Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Being Black in America.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
    I wonder if poverty is a factor with the cop issues?
    I do not believe it explains the problem of education, unless there is a strong tendency to underfund schools with high percentages of poor and blacks. Which may be true

Comment

• Children Under 18 Living in Poverty, 2010
      Category Number (in thousands) Percent
      White only, non-Hispanic 5,002 12.4%
      Black 4,817 38.2%
      Hispanic 6,110 35.0%
      http://www.npc.umich.edu/poverty/
      To be fair just because poverty in the states doesn't look like poverty in Africa, it still sucks.
      "Kahahaha! Let's get lunatic!"-Add LP
      "And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin is pride that apes humility"-Samuel Taylor Coleridge
      Oh ye of little fiber. Do you not know what I've done for you? You will obey. ~Cerealman for Prez.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cerealman View Post
        To be fair just because poverty in the states doesn't look like poverty in Africa, it still sucks.
        Exactly.
        Find my speling strange? I'm trying this out: Simplified Speling. Feel free to join me.

"Nature has placed mankind under the governance of two sovereign masters, pain and pleasure. It is for them alone to point out what we ought to do, as well as to determine what we shall do."-Jeremy Bentham

"We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question."-Orson Scott Card

Comment

I have no problem with that as long as his "reasons" to stereotype are kept at 0.
          They are at 0. These are not issues of stereotyping on my part. I am citing sources of data and statistics which are based on facts. I also cited Blacks describing their experiences with racial problems. As individuals neither of us can speak authoritatively concerning the "White nor Black Communities believe or represent.

Stereotyping Blacks is what others would do to blame Blacks for these problems, and as what at least one Tweber did was ridicule the testimony of one or more of the Blacks I cited.

If you want to see stereotyping big time, take a peak at this: http://www.redstate.com/search/racial+inequality
          Last edited by shunyadragon; 08-02-2015, 09:28 PM.

Comment

• Here's the aforementioned quote from Chris Rock:

One of us, Chris Rock, is famous and he's tired, and he's saying so. Of having to prove that we deserve to be players socially, politically and culturally in this country. A country built, in great part, on our sweat.

"To say Obama is progress is saying that he's the first black person that is qualified to be president. That's not black progress. That's white progress. There's been black people qualified to be president for hundreds of years," he mused during a New York magazine interview. "The question is, you know, my kids are smart, educated, beautiful, polite children. There have been smart, educated, beautiful, polite black children for hundreds of years. The advantage that my children have is that my children are encountering the nicest white people that America has ever produced. Let's hope America keeps producing nicer white people."

Rock has also said (starting from 3:06 in the video below)
            In my neighborhood there's like 3, 4 black people in my neighborhood in Alpine...there's me, Gary Sheffield, Mary J. Blige, Patrick Ewing. Hall of Famer, Hall of Famer, greatest R&B singer of our time, decent comedian. Who lives next to me, what's the white man next to me? He's a dentist. He didn't invent anything, he's just a dentist. That's the way America is.

My dad used to say this--"You can't beat white people at anything. Never. But you can knock them out." Like, if you have six and the white guy has five, he wins. You can't let it go to the judge's decision. Cause you're gonna lose, no matter how bad you beat this man up. You know, Larry Holmes, Gerry Cooney is the perfect example of life. Larry Holmes beats this **** out of this guy for eleven rounds. He knocks him out in the eleventh round, they had to stop the fight. The man is bloody, he's been beaten the whole fight. They go to the judge's scorecards--Larry Holmes is losing the fight. If he didn't knock him out, he would've lost the title. And that is, that is essentially the black experience...

Just when you let Jackie Robinson in baseball, that doesn't mean it's equal. Baseball statistically isn't equal almost until the 70s. And you know, why do I say the 70s? Because that's when you started to see bad black baseball players. The true, true equality is the equality to suck like the white men. That's really Martin Luther King's dream coming true. I watched the Oscars--okay, these are the people who made the good movies. What about the people who made the bad movies? That's most of the industry! I want to be like that! Not that I want to be bad, but I want the license to be bad, and come back, and learn.

Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
              Anyone else think it's wrong that ten pages in we have run out at least one of the African-American participants... Of course he may just have been bored to death...
              Sorry for not participating more. I just find the OP stupid with not a whole lot needing of a response. I said pretty much all I needed to previously. If Shuny wants to pretend like he knows what it's like "Being Black in America", let him. I have to give Cerealman props though, for sticking it out here and putting up with so much inconsistent nonsense that is being spewed throughout this thread.
              "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

• Originally posted by Jesse View Post
                Sorry for not participating more. I just find the OP stupid with not a whole lot needing of a response. I said pretty much all I needed to previously. If Shuny wants to pretend like he knows what it's like "Being Black in America", let him. I have to give Cerealman props though, for sticking it out here and putting up with so much inconsistent nonsense that is being spewed throughout this thread.
                There is no pretending here, and I do not 'know,' nor claim to know. I used sources references and testimony of Blacks to support my position, and will use more. some of the others here like you have resorted to ridicule and smileys, and failed to present sources,, and references your self to support a coherent counter argument.

Still waiting . . .
                Last edited by shunyadragon; 08-03-2015, 05:51 AM.

Comment

It does. But poverty in the U.S. is often having to buy generic cola whereas in Third World countries it usually is more dire.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                    That's called the fallacy of Appeal to Popularity. Just because someone, or a group, hold a perspective, doesn't make the perception true.
                    Yup. For instance for many years it has been a fairly popular belief in various black communities that Church's Fried Chicken was secretly owned and run by a cabal of white racists who would put a secret ingredient into the food that would make black men sterile. While this theory reached its peak back in the 1980s it is still popular with NewsOne (a news service that declares it is "For Black America") recently conducted a poll that found that slightly over 25% of blacks still believe that its true.

Several other products have had similar conspiracy theories (they have ingredients designed to cause black men to become sterile or even impotent) including the budget soft drink "Tropical Fantasy" and Kool cigarettes (which for awhile were a very popular brand among blacks).

The point being that just because something is widely believed to be true does not automatically mean that it is true, and, as can be seen by the examples above, even have even a shred of evidence supporting it.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Jesse View Post
                      No need to apologize. It struck me as ironic. No one is obligated to stay in a thread when they don't want to for whatever reason. My apologies if I implied otherwise.
                      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        It does. But poverty in the U.S. is often having to buy generic cola whereas in Third World countries it usually is more dire.
                        I like Chek Cola!
                        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                          There is no pretending here, and I do not 'know,' nor claim to know. I used sources references and testimony of Blacks to support my position, and will use more. some of the others here like you have resorted to ridicule and smileys, and failed to present sources,, and references your self to support a coherent counter argument.

Still waiting . . .
                          Translation no one agrees with me yet.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by stfoskey15 View Post
                            I have two things to say about this post.
                            1) The Democratic Party was once the more racist party, but that doesn't necessarily mean it still is. Most Democrats today seem to be glad the Civil Rights Act and Voting Rights Act Passed. Welfare may be detrimental (I've heard people say it's good and it's bad; I don't really know), but I am unaware of a better solution. Do you have one?
                            2) American blacks are (afaik) generally richer and overall in a more enjoyable state of living than African blacks. I think most blacks who have a problem with racism want to instead be as well off as the average American white person.
                            I think the racism has shifted from the more overt form to one that can best be defined as a racism based upon low expectations. Problems that have plagued the black community are tolerated and accepted, such as a high violent crime rate, because of a belief that blacks can't be expected to behave in the same manner as whites.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              Yup. For instance for many years it has been a fairly popular belief in various black communities that Church's Fried Chicken was secretly owned and run by a cabal of white racists who would put a secret ingredient into the food that would make black men sterile. While this theory reached its peak back in the 1980s it is still popular with NewsOne (a news service that declares it is "For Black America") recently conducted a poll that found that slightly over 25% of blacks still believe that its true.

Several other products have had similar conspiracy theories (they have ingredients designed to cause black men to become sterile or even impotent) including the budget soft drink "Tropical Fantasy" and Kool cigarettes (which for awhile were a very popular brand among blacks).

The point being that just because something is widely believed to be true does not automatically mean that it is true, and, as can be seen by the examples above, even have even a shred of evidence supporting it.
                              These examples and ah . . . stereotypes do not relate to this thread. Actually the racial inequality in Law Enforcement, the Justice System, and our education systems is not necessarily a 'popular belief.' No polls are proposed or cited in this thread to demonstrate the 'popular opinion' of these problems.

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon

Still waiting . . .
                                Yes, Shuny. I am sure all of your random and useless data is seen as a big deal in your mind. But we are talking anecdotals here. For every data point you give, I can also give personal anecdotal counter-point data. But why? It's silly. But go ahead and keep holding onto your belief that you have a pretty good bead on the "black community", it's amusing.

Originally posted by Teallaura
                                No need to apologize. It struck me as ironic. No one is obligated to stay in a thread when they don't want to for whatever reason. My apologies if I implied otherwise.
                                Oh no worries. I didn't think you were implying anything. You would think this thread would be right up my alley since it's about those of my pigmentation. But all that has been stated here is the same old tired nonsense coming from those who think a few reports gives them insight into an entire culture. From what I have seen of Cerealman's responses, our upbringing might have even been very different. I am sure that would blow Shuny's mind if he could understand it.

BTW, love your translations. They make Shuny more understandable.
                                "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment