Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

The Assurance of the Spirit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post
    I think the thing about being argued into the Kingdom works both ways. If you want to say you can be argued out, then we could just as well say someone can be loved into the Kingdom and loved out of it as well.
    But I'm not claiming that.

There can be very loving people outside of Christianity.
    Sure, and cults thrive on that.

While I think we need to realize the role of the Holy Spirit, we have no control over that aspect.
    And if we did, He wouldn't be sovereign. But we can PRAY for the Spirit's guidance, influence, power, etc....

My thinking is we simply do the part we have been instructed to do and trust God to do what He has said He will do. There's a quote I understand to be attributed to Saint Augustine that says to pray as if everything depended on God. Work as if it all depended on you.
    Yes, I cite that quote often... and I think the "prayer" part is often underplayed or missing.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      But I'm not claiming that.

Sure, and cults thrive on that.

And if we did, He wouldn't be sovereign. But we can PRAY for the Spirit's guidance, influence, power, etc....

Yes, I cite that quote often... and I think the "prayer" part is often underplayed or missing.
      I really have no problem with any of this. I would say prayer is an area I struggle with, but I do have a mentor who helps me.

Comment

I really have no problem with any of this. I would say prayer is an area I struggle with, but I do have a mentor who helps me.
        So I believe we would make a good team, AP.... I'm nowhere near as good at apologetics as you are, yet the Lord seems to have seen fit to use me to win people to Christ, and they seem to "stick". I have no doubt, however, that they could be "apologied" beyond my ability or experience!
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

So I believe we would make a good team, AP.... I'm nowhere near as good at apologetics as you are, yet the Lord seems to have seen fit to use me to win people to Christ, and they seem to "stick". I have no doubt, however, that they could be "apologied" beyond my ability or experience!
          I often say Allie and I make a great team in this way. When we're in public, I say I'm the head and she's the heart. I can go on and on about the facts of the matter and such. Allie meanwhile excels by far in empathy and she can feel the situation in that sense better than I do and provide the necessary balance. (And if she gets too emotionally centered, I provide the balance.)

Comment

(And if she gets too emotionally centered, I provide the balance.)
            If you get too intellectually centered, does she provide the balance?

Comment

If you get too intellectually centered, does she provide the balance?

I thought I had said that above but yes, she sure does.

Comment

I thought I had said that above but yes, she sure does.
                You did. I was just pickin'.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                  Like I said, Colin G. Kruse breaks it down pretty well. Basically something like a divine, conscience-based confirmation.
                  Tell me how one divorces a conscience-based confirmation from feeling and emotion.

Comment

This, also, comes to mind...

1 Cor 2:1 And so it was with me, brothers and sisters. When I came to you, I did not come with eloquence or human wisdom as I proclaimed to you the testimony about God. 2 For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and him crucified. 3I came to you in weakness with great fear and trembling. 4 My message and my preaching were not with wise and persuasive words, but with a demonstration of the Spirit’s power, 5 so that your faith might not rest on human wisdom, but on God’s power.

Comment

I struggle with this myself because I simply don't have emotional religious experiences the way others seem to. I don't know of any reason why I simply would be lacking the Holy Spirit so I am certainly open to views such as AP's but still need a way to account for the scriptures presented here.
                      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

One other thing I'd like to add is that I have severe OCD and I've worked out with a Christian psychologist that I need to not conclude that everything I feel is really from the Holy Spirit. I can't speak as to people who don't have it. But in the past I had compulsions to do things like give all my money to the poor when I wouldn't have ended up being able to take care of myself and other things that don't logically make sense.
                        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Remember, that's really CDO that you have.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                            I struggle with this myself because I simply don't have emotional religious experiences the way others seem to. I don't know of any reason why I simply would be lacking the Holy Spirit so I am certainly open to views such as AP's but still need a way to account for the scriptures presented here.
                            Back in my early/mid teenage years, there was a time when I thought I should be having some emotional religious experience (because that's what I thought certain passages meant), and I damn near drove myself into an anxiety-riddled nervous breakdown because of it. I kid you not, I was on the verge of tears every night praying to God for some sign or word, or at least some explanation of why nothing seemed to be happening.
                            Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

I can believe that. I see too many people making really really stupid decisions (Have an affair, leave their spouse, etc.) because of an experience that they had and they are sure this is what God wants them to do. I have met too many who are wondering why they don't hear the voice of God and this listening for the voice of God distracts us from Scripture and puts us in a position to set our own experiences up as the authority.

Comment