Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Bullies are doing great

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bullies are doing great

http://atlanta.cbslocal.com/2015/07/...ression-rates/

ATLANTA (CBS Atlanta) — Bullying behaviors are linked to higher self-esteem, social status, and a lower rate of depression, according to a new provocative study.
    Researchers at Simon Fraser University observed a group of high school students finding that bullies had the highest self esteem, greatest social status, and were less likely to be depressed, as reported by National Post.
    “Humans tend to try to establish a rank hierarchy,” Jennifer Wong, a criminology professor who led the study, told the Post. “When you’re in high school, it’s a very limited arena in which you can establish your rank, and climbing the social ladder to be on top is one of the main ways … Bullying is a tool you can use to get there.”
    Wong notes that many anti-bullying initiatives try to change the behavior of bullies, but often don’t work. This is likely because behavior is hard-wired and not learned, she says. Experts suggest that schools might expand competitive, supervised activities as an alternative outlet to channel dominating behavior.
    Contra conventional wisdom which says bullies are actually very insecure paper tigers and standing up to them will make them cave instantly, it turns out that on average bullies are, in fact successful, well adjusted individuals, and liked or respected by others to boot.
    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Still, shame on those who bully others!
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Is there any potential connection to educational paradigms that discourage healthy competition?
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Chicken meet egg. People generally pick a coping mechanism that works for them. Efficacy of the medicine, quote unquote doesn't disprove the existence of the disease.
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment