Announcement

Collapse

The Pulpit Guidelines

This is the place for quiet meditations and reflections. No debate is permitted, and we ask that the fact that this is a Christian-owned site be respected in that the majority of the spiritual reflections expressed here will be Christian in perspective. We ask that mediations that are blatantly unorthodox or contrary to Christianity not be posted. Respectful interaction and posting by those of other beliefs is permitted. Moderators are given wide discretion and latitude as to the appropriateness of posts in this area.

Please keep in mind the rules: here
See more
See less

The Hardest Thing I've Ever Done as a Pastor - Part I

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cbw
    So, when we mourn at funerals, it's mourning for us rather than the person who died?
    I would certainly be mourning for the person who has died if there is some doubt that they were a believer. Sorrow over their choice to live eternally without Christ.

But yes, when we are grieving at a funeral for a believer, I think it is more grieving for our own loss. The person is home. We are not. And we are without that person's presence here.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Yes, that -- and for the family of the loved one. Particularly when there are small children who don't understand this.

Ya done fine.

Cops (and firefighters) are their own brotherhood. I think the Sheriff made the exception because of the fact that Blake did his best to report for duty at every opportunity, even as he was sick as a dog through chemo. He just wouldn't give up. That, and the fact that, as I mentioned, the Sheriff was a cancer survivor -- TWICE, and felt a kinship with Blake.
      Wow! When did he stop working?
      If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
        Wow! When did he stop working?
        He worked for a few weeks after the honeymoon, albeit 'in the office', but was pretty much unable even to get out by mid December.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Death is sad because we are intended for life - that's how God made us. It's okay to mourn the loss - a temporary loss is still a loss. Just remember, death has already been defeated - what we mourn is a temporary set back, not an eternal loss.
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
            Death is sad because we are intended for life - that's how God made us. It's okay to mourn the loss - a temporary loss is still a loss. Just remember, death has already been defeated - what we mourn is a temporary set back, not an eternal loss.

Amen!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Beautiful story, thanks for reposting.

Comment

Thanks, CP, for re-posting this in response to my message. I believe that this is a powerful story and it can really help us all put things into perspective.

As a fellow law enforcement officer, I couldn't help but admire Blake's dedication to his profession. The man's a hero, and I'm glad to know he was honored as such. I'm certain that Blake prayed (as I imagine all Christian officers do), that God would protect and bless his family, should he fall. It's good to know that, tragedy aside, God has blessed your daughter.

Thank you for sharing.
                "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

The Sheriff I referenced in my story has passed away Sunday Morning... another cop funeral will be happening....

http://memorialoakschapel.com/obitua...ham-TX/1344519
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X