Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Does preterism lead to atheism?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    If you don't care who is right then you don't care anything about the truth. I don't have to dance to your music.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Christianbookworm View Post
    Politics, schmolitics. I don't really see why Christianity should be tied to it. All politicians do a terrible job compared to Jesus. Of course, Jesus is a better person than anyone ever could be...
    Because there are more than two people in the Body of Christ. Literally. Politics is just how people organize and control power. It happens in every group larger than two. We as Christians have to deal both with our internal politics and the world's external politics because either we deal with them or they will deal with us, and not in a good way.

3. Amen Cerebrum123 amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Teallaura View Post
    Because there are more than two people in the Body of Christ. Literally. Politics is just how people organize and control power. It happens in every group larger than two. We as Christians have to deal both with our internal politics and the world's external politics because either we deal with them or they will deal with us, and not in a good way.
    Oh. I guess politics just has a negative connotation to it. But that would be worldly politics, right? There can be a good politics and not just the bad kind?
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
    If you don't care who is right then you don't care anything about the truth. I don't have to dance to your music.
    Wow. I don't even know what kind of logical fallacy that is. The preterism vs futurism vs whateverelsethereisism just seems to have academic importance. If it doesn't have life or death importance, I'm not going to be dogmatic about things that can wait until I can find out the truth direct from Jesus.
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Is atheism of just academic importance?

Child of the One True King Raphael's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I'm a long time member of TWEB. In the old days I asserted that preterism, taken to its logical conclusions, can lead to atheism. It turns out I wasn't just whistling dixie.

Famous Christian apologist William Lane Craig gives a personal expeirience where one of his colleagues was led to atheism by preterism. It is at 8:30 of his video below. He also gives a critique of preterism in the next video.

https://youtu.be/tRgSBmQfL_A

https://youtu.be/a7NSBjGy7m0

Long time preterist Roderick E. puts it this way.

http://unpreterist.blogspot.com/2014...onclusion.html

Another danger of preterism is that it leads to liberal political views that reject traditional Christian values, as in the Libertarian party. Famous atheists like magician Penn Gillette are Libertarians. The folowing video shows how Christian values are made fun of.

https://youtu.be/S4BY5ZGurCU
    Disclaimer: I am not a Preterist, partial or full.

I have seen documented people who have become atheists because of YEC.
    I have seen documented people who have become atheists because of Theistic Evolution.

I have seen documented people who have become atheists because of Calvinism.
    I have seen documented people who have become atheists because of Arminianism.
    I have seen documented people who have become atheists because of Molinism.
    I have seen documented people who have become atheists because of Open Theism.

I have seen documented people who have become atheists because of Cessation.
    I have seen documented people who have become atheists because of Pentecostalism.

I have seen documented people who have become atheists because of Roman Catholicism.
    I have seen documented people who have become atheists because of Eastern Orthodoxy.
    I have seen documented people who have become atheists because of Protestant..ism.

At the end of the day, those are all excuses.
    TheologyWeb Needs YOU! - Please Help Us Upgrade Tweb! Click here for more info

"If you can ever make any major religion look absolutely ludicrous, chances are you haven't understood it"
    -Ravi Zacharias, The New Age: A foreign bird with a local walk

Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
    1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
    -Ben Witherington III

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    That's all good, but I have presented evidence from a leading Christian apologist, maybe the best in the world, and a 15 year partial preterist.

Child of the One True King Raphael's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    That's all good, but I have presented evidence from a leading Christian apologist, maybe the best in the world, and a 15 year partial preterist.
    And I can provide evidence from leading Christian apologists that each of the things I listed above is the excuse that someone, who may have held that belief for a number of years, used to blame their becoming an atheist on.

The fact that someone uses it as an excuse doesn't confirm whether or not the position is a valid one.The fact the a leading Christian apologist may happen to disagree with it doesn't mean that the position is invalid.
    TheologyWeb Needs YOU! - Please Help Us Upgrade Tweb! Click here for more info

"If you can ever make any major religion look absolutely ludicrous, chances are you haven't understood it"
    -Ravi Zacharias, The New Age: A foreign bird with a local walk

Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
    1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
    -Ben Witherington III

10. Amen Christianbookworm amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Please do present the evidence. Preterism is an eschatological belief, so you might wish to put it in another forum. I think the evidence stands on its own. Evidence is evidence. It might or might not prove anything. Each person has to decide for themselves. Two people might look at the same evidence and come to opposite conclusions. That doesn't mean we should give up trying to find truth. We just try to give the best presentation we can.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Christianbookworm View Post
    Wow. I don't even know what kind of logical fallacy that is. The preterism vs futurism vs whateverelsethereisism just seems to have academic importance. If it doesn't have life or death importance, I'm not going to be dogmatic about things that can wait until I can find out the truth direct from Jesus.
    Jesus believed nothing false. That's part of what made Him so awesome. Those closest to being as He is believe very little that is false. Believing in the false and untrue is both a symptom of untruth in the "inward parts" and a cause for believing more untruth. In other words, not even opinions are completely harmless, especially opinions about how to properly interpret God's word.

If the truth alone is what can set us free, I have a difficult time understanding your "wait and see" mentality. I do understand a "seek and find" mentality or a "hunger and thirst" mentality, but not a "wait and see" mentality. The Lord Himself criticized those present at His first coming for not properly interpreting the signs and the times, with no trace of this "wait and see" mentality that you flippantly endorse.

Please don't respond to this post emotionally, which I understand will be twice as hard for you as a woman, but please. I am saying all of this for your benefit as well as those reading.

At the very least, if futurism is the proper interpretation and moreover if the post-tribulational rapture is the proper sub-interpretation, then this matter is indeed a matter of life and death, is it not? Other than begging the question, how do you know that you have time to "wait and see?"