Announcement

Collapse

Theology 201 Guidelines

This is the forum to discuss the spectrum of views within Christianity on God's foreknowledge and election such as Calvinism, Arminianism, Molinism, Open Theism, Process Theism, Restrictivism, and Inclusivism, Christian Universalism and what these all are about anyway. Who is saved and when is/was their salvation certain? How does God exercise His sovereignty and how powerful is He? Is God timeless and immutable? Does a triune God help better understand God's love for mankind?

While this area is for the discussion of these doctrines within historic Christianity, all theists interested in discussing these areas within the presuppositions of and respect for the Christian framework are welcome to participate here. This is not the area for debate between nontheists and theists, additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream evangelical doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101 Nontheists seeking only theistic participation only in a manner that does not seek to undermine the faith of others are also welcome - but we ask that Moderator approval be obtained beforehand.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 or General Theistics 101 forum without such restrictions. Theists who wish to discuss these issues outside the parameters of orthodox Christian doctrine are invited to Unorthodox Theology 201.

Remember, our forum rules apply here as well. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Natural Evil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dacristoy View Post
    I find that a pointed definition of evil is hard to define. But if we allow causation (that which results when evil is present) to define evil, we find that it always results in discomfort to the one experiencing it. Therefore evil does exist as a moral aa well as a natural entity...
    Evil is usually clearly defined in traditional Christianity.

I do not buy the argument that causation? does result in evil is present or is real. There is no evidence that natural cause and effect in our world whether good nor bad is an effective argument for the existence of evil.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaxb View Post
      According to the KJV, Isaiah 45:7 says, "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things." According to the NASB, Isaiah 45:7 says, "The One forming light and creating darkness, causing well-being and creating calamity; I am the Lord who does all these."

The Hebrew word translated as "evil" in the KJV is the word "rah." This Hebrew word is translated as "calamity" in the NASB. Since the Hebrew word "rah" can be translated as "evil" or "calamity", is this the reason why some people call natural disasters "natural evil"?
      It is possible that citations such as these are used to justify that evil exists, but these are from an ancient world view that did not understand the natural cause and effect of calamities or tragic events. The viewed a world where God(s) caused calamities often believed in response to the failure of humans to do God's will or the sins an disobedience of humans.

Time to give up the hosts of ancient thinking.
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
        It is possible that citations such as these are used to justify that evil exists, but these are from an ancient world view that did not understand the natural cause and effect of calamities or tragic events. The viewed a world where God(s) caused calamities often believed in response to the failure of humans to do God's will or the sins an disobedience of humans.

Time to give up the hosts of ancient thinking.
        What an interesting series of things to assert! How do you personally sort out the interplay of categories like nature, causality, existence, and evil? Also, I wonder if there actually is any monolithic consensus so novel on these matters within contemporary thought that has no discernible roots in "ancient thinking" and could really be said to illuminate us once we jettison all our supposedly ancient cognitive prejudices....

Comment

Originally posted by pereynol View Post
          What an interesting series of things to assert! How do you personally sort out the interplay of categories like nature, causality, existence, and evil? Also, I wonder if there actually is any monolithic consensus so novel on these matters within contemporary thought that has no discernible roots in "ancient thinking" and could really be said to illuminate us once we jettison all our supposedly ancient cognitive prejudices....
          Hey pereynol, long time no see! Hope you are doing well.
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
            Hey pereynol, long time no see! Hope you are doing well.
            Good to hear from you, seer! I've been well---thanks for asking. I haven't been online recently as much as in days gone by. I certainly hope you've been faring well and blessed....

Comment

Good to hear from you, seer! I've been well---thanks for asking. I haven't been online recently as much as in days gone by. I certainly hope you've been faring well and blessed....
              Yes, I'm older, but no wiser - or richer for that matter...
              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by Jaxb View Post
                Many people divide evil into two categories: moral evil and natural evil. Moral evil is rebellion against God and natural evil consists of natural disasters such as hurricanes, earthquakes, tornadoes, and so on. Does the Bible call "natural disasters" a kind of evil? Does the Bible divide evil into two categories: moral and natural?
                I can't remember the text, but God talks about using natural disasters as "sending evil" upon His enemies or the enemies of Israel back in the day. I suppose the original language is going to come into the discussion.

The world is still "fallen". Natural disasters won't be a part of the new earth that's coming. So I think it's safe to say that they are bad and not a part of God's original habitat for man. Call em evil then. That's my two cents.

Comment

No assertions at all and no need to sort out the categories like nature, causality, existence, and evil. The Bible literature is clear many places in the Bible attribute the cause of natural disasters to the wrath of God(s) for the disobedience of humans like most ancient cultures. The lacked the knowledge of modern science to simply understand that natural disasters and events have natural causes.

On the other hand, it is a theological assertion, with no evidence, that God deliberately causes natural disasters, and that natural evil even exists. For example; The claim of the idealistic unreal claim that our existence was free form evil, Adam and Eve were without sin, suffering and death before the 'Original Sin' and the 'Fall.' After the 'Fall' evil pervades with suffering and death, and humanity was cursed with the stain of 'Original Sin.' These beliefs that we inherit the sins of our ancestors, or even our immediate parents is common in many ancient cultures.

I believe that jettisoning superstitious 'ancient myths' that form the foundation of traditional Christian doctrines and beliefs will free billions of human from the burdens of myth, and accept science. The evidence of the 'problems' of the attitudes of many traditional Christians concerning science today and history clearly demonstrates this.
                  Last edited by shunyadragon; 12-13-2015, 07:52 AM.

Frank

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X