Announcement

Collapse

Judaism Guidelines

Theists only.

Shalom!

This forum is a debate area to discuss issues pertaining to the world religion of Judaism in general and also its relationship to Christianity. This forum is generally for theists only. Non-theists (eg, atheistic Jews) may not post here without first obtaining permission from the moderator of this forum. Granting of such permission is subject to Moderator discretion - and may be revoked if the Moderator feels that the poster is not keeping with the spirit of the World Religions Department.

Non-theists are welcome to discuss and debate issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Not bread alone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
    I do not think it is a problem posting it here as a comparative interpretation of the Christian view. It is not 'necessarily' very different except Christians tend to interpret it in relation to NT citations.

Source: http://www.biblestudytools.com/commentaries/gills-exposition-of-the-bible/deuteronomy-8-3.html

Deuteronomy 8:3
    And he humbled thee, or afflicted thee with want of bread:

and suffered thee to hunger; that there might be an opportunity of showing his mercy, and exerting his power:

and fed thee with manna, which thou knewest not, neither did thy fathers know;

a sort of food they had never seen before, and when they saw it, knew not what it was, but asked, what is it? ( Exodus 16:15 ) . Thus the Lord humbles his people by his Spirit and grace, and brings them to see themselves to be in want, and creates in them desires after spiritual food, and feeds them with Christ the hidden manna, whose person, office, and grace, they were before ignorant of:

. . . that he might make thee know that man doth not live by bread only; which is the stay and staff of life, and which strengthens man's heart, and is the main support of it, being the ordinary and usual food man lives upon, and is put for all the rest:

but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of the Lord doth man live: . . . not so much by the food he eats as by the blessing of God upon it, and who can make one sort of food as effectual for such a purpose as another; for every creature of God is good being received with thankfulness, and sanctified by the word and prayer; and particularly he could and did make such light food as manna was to answer all the purposes of solid bread for the space of forty years in the wilderness; the Targum of Jonathan is,

``but by all which is created by the Word of the Lord is the life of man;''

which seems to agree with 1Ti 4:3,4
    for the meaning is not that the Israelites in the wilderness, and when come into the land of Canaan, should not live by corporeal food only, but by obedience to the commands of God, by means of which they should continue under his protection, which was indeed their case; nor that man does not live in his body only by bread, but in his soul also by the word of God, and the doctrines of it, which is certainly true; spiritual men live a spiritual life on Christ, the Word of God, and bread of life, and on the Gospel and the truths of it, the wholesome words of our Lord Jesus, and are nourished up with the words of faith and sound doctrine, by means of which their spiritual life is supported and maintained; but this is not what is here intended.

© Copyright Original Source

So, by "the conclusion proposed by Christians" you did in fact mean "how the Christians interpret it". Why did you deny that to Scorching Wizard?

I was not referring to how the Christians interpret it. ...
    βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
    ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
      So, by "the conclusion proposed by Christians" you did in fact mean "how the Christians interpret it". Why did you deny that to Scorching Wizard?
      I consider the difference in wording trivial.
      Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
      Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

I consider the difference in wording trivial.
        Exactly my point.

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
          Exactly my point.
          Then why bother?

So, by "the conclusion proposed by Christians" you did in fact mean "how the Christians interpret it". Why did you deny that to Scorching W
          I did not deny anything.
          Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
          Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
          But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Then why bother?

I did not deny anything.
            You genuinely believe that, don't you?

Comment

@Scorching Wizard
              "food is often the focus of our quest for meaning. "

I have heard that in Jewish Holy days, food that is served has symbolic meanings? There is also the Kosher slaughter that adds an element of respect and sacredness to food...what are your thoughts on this? (use of food to remember G-d's mercy?)

Comment

That fragment of a sentence you posted is out of context.

What this verse is telling us is that since man cannot live on bread alone, he will either fill that extra space with real meaning - a relationship with His Creator, or he will look for substitutes to that meaning, such as food.

Human beings, unlike animals, need "meaning" in life. The Kabbalists explain this as one of the parallels between the material and spiritual worlds: This drives us to want more than just bread. Even though it is a poor substitute for real fulfillment and meaning, food is often the focus of our quest for meaning.
                The point of the article is that some people use food in place of spirituality. On our holidays, food doesn't take the place of connecting with G-d. It is part of the rituals and prayers that we use to connect with G-d.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X